MMS on 3GS does work

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
MMS ON AT&T 3Gs DOES WORK!

Taken from macrumors forums, quoted from mr. stinki

EDIT: Page 7, post #63 has more info on this.

Quick guide to enable MMS and Tethering on iPhone 3.0
Just wanted to make a quick guide for those of you who upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 but can't seem to be able to enable MMS and Internet Tethering. Please keep in mind that THIS IS ONLY FOR USERS ON AT&T. You might be able to use this on other carriers, but I highly doubt it.

Step 1:

You need to download a pre-released version of iTunes and the Carrier Setting.
iTunes: http://d01.megashares.com/dl/897faff...r_mac_os_x.dmg
Carrier Setting:

Step 2:

You need to uninstall your current version of iTunes. Simply drag it into the trash then restart your computer.

Step 3:

Once you're booted up, install the special version of iTunes you just downloaded. You might get a warning that your library was created on a newer version of iTunes followed by iTunes quitting. That's OK, just go to:

Home Folder>Music>iTunes and move your iTunes Library file to a safe location.

Now try to relaunch iTunes and connect your iPhone. Go to the main settings of your iPhone and option + click on Update. Select the carrier file that you previously downloaded and wait for iTunes to finish. You will NOT get a confirmation message, so when it's done just disconnect and reboot your iPhone.

Step 4:

Once your iPhone has successfuly rebooted go to:

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network

Input the following information in the appropriate fields:

APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
Password: CINGULAR1
MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
MMS Max Message Size: [leave blank]
MMS UA Prof URL: [leave blank]

Now after that is done, you should be able to Tether and Send MMS. If not then I would suggest checking over the info above and ensuring everything is exactly the same.

Step 5: Cleaning up

Final step here. First quit iTunes and then drag it from your Applications folder into the trash. At this time, you might also want to return the iTunes Library file to its original position. You'll already have one there and you'll need to replace it with your original file.

Reboot.

Now after this simply download the newer version of iTunes on Apple.com and reinstall and you're done!

All this info was gotten and compiled from previous threads. Some users struggle with MMS and Tethering while others don't.
I just made my day, haha... been trying to get it to work all day and im soo happpy, if it doesn't work for you, you may need to put your sim card into a non-iphone and make some phone calls, which tricks AT&T into thinking that you are using a different phone and once that happens, change your plan to a standars messaging plan instead of the iPhone messaging plan.

Here are some pictures of it working:

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
each to their own.. ive had it for since 3.0 came out so its not easy to be without it.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Plenty of people want to know about this so if you don't, post elsewhere.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Nice one, you only forgot one step... The provisoning with AT&T. And as far as I know, there is no way to do it now because they grayed out the snooper to enable to yes. If anyone gets it working with AT&T, please tell me what you did to get the guy to do it if its even possible. btw... I HATE AT&T!

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Nice one, you only forgot one step... The provisoning with AT&T. And as far as I know, there is no way to do it now because they grayed out the snooper to enable to yes. If anyone gets it working with AT&T, please tell me what you did to get the guy to do it if its even possible. btw... I HATE AT&T!
Uhh, just so you know I'm on AT&T and it worked, I called AT&T this morning and they refused to provision my account, so I'm saying that it does work for me. I would have changed the name to say for AT&T but I don't know how to change my topic name.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
anyone know if this workaround messes up the visual voicemail?

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Uhh, just so you know I'm on AT&T and it worked, I called AT&T this morning and they refused to provision my account, so I'm saying that it does work for me. I would have changed the name to say for AT&T but I don't know how to change my topic name.

Then you must have the rays of god upon you... Post some pics sir... and god bless! :eek:

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Yup, visual VM is dead with this carrier update... sigh...

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Then you must have the rays of god upon you... Post some pics sir... and god bless! :eek:
Yup, visual VM is dead with this carrier update... sigh...

I really must have the rays of god, my visual voicemail works just fine, here are the pics:

IMG_0328.PNG
IMG_0329.PNG

probable not gunna work, I'm on my iPhone now.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Bumped for updated thread title and added screenshots.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Glad its working for you man. I have the family texting plan too and had MMS working for months on my regular 3g but that did hae me calling AT&T to provision the account. The minute I switch to the 3gs, I lost my provision and thus my mms. I have tried calling AT&T atleast 20 times today and I gave up. They all gave me the load of **** that they give everyone.. wait till July... Anyway, congrats again. Atleast we know we will ALL get it in a month! :)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Glad its working for you man. I have the family texting plan too and had MMS working for months on my regular 3g but that did hae me calling AT&T to provision the account. The minute I switch to the 3gs, I lost my provision and thus my mms. I have tried calling AT&T atleast 20 times today and I gave up. They all gave me the load of **** that they give everyone.. wait till July... Anyway, congrats again. Atleast we know we will ALL get it in a month! :)
This is exactly what happened to me! I have had mms since beta 1 and haven't lost it until I switched to my 3GS. I even have the mms icon and options on my 3GS which was on AT&T 4.0, and uploaded the 5.0 ipcc and that didn't help. I've been playing with my phone too much to call AT&T but I have to find some of the numbers from when I called back then. Who knows when we will get it :( If anyone has the 4.0 ipcc please send it to me! Since I had the icons on 4.0 I would rather go back to it.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
This is exactly what happened to me! I have had mms since beta 1 and haven't lost it until I switched to my 3GS. I even have the mms icon and options on my 3GS which was on AT&T 4.0, and uploaded the 5.0 ipcc and that didn't help. I've been playing with my phone too much to call AT&T but I have to find some of the numbers from when I called back then. Who knows when we will get it :( If anyone has the 4.0 ipcc please send it to me! Since I had the icons on 4.0 I would rather go back to it.
I have a carrier file created on may 27th... Its the exact same file name. I believe its 56.7kb and the newer one I have which is the one posted in the beginning of this thread is 49.1kb. The one from this thread which was created 6/18/09 did NOT work for me. Is there another carrier file floating around?