MMS on the iPhone?

cavanaugh

Jan 16, 2009
Yeah, I know, it's been asked to death. A friend just told me, though, about the MMS app for UK iPhoners, and I was wondering if anyone's working on/released something similar out here?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If your jailbroken there is swirlymms, working great on my phone.

cavanaugh

Jan 16, 2009
Naw, not jailbroke. Was for awhile, but the number of crashes seemed to increase, and I didn't find enough great apps to justify it.

Thanks for the quick reply, though!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
mobispine is supposed to have come out with a true mms app for sweden and is trying to brand it for other authorized carriers of the iPhone, will be interesting to see if AT&T goes for it.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I'm not sure if there is any help for you, but I like your avatar. :cool:

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
What I did was have a friend that works at an AT&T corporate store change my messaging to regular messaging plan, I asked him to activate WAP push, but he said he did not have that kind of access. Apparently it didn't matter. after having my iPhone messaging switched to regular messaging....I rebooted the phone and swirlymms worked immediately using the second set of AT&T settings in the list.

I had a friend do it, and she had the family messaging unlimited on her phone and it worked straight out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
I found this that help me with the MMS.

First off, call 888.892.9760. These are tier level reps who know what they're doing. Second off, make sure you have the rep enable WAP push (There are 2 places in Snooper for them to make the change.) Next, have the rep change your iPhone texting plan to a normal non-iphone text plan. (costs the same). Lastly, have them resend your ota's (over-the-air activation) and reset your vlr's (clears the registry). Power cycle your phone and you should be good to go.

Just wanted to confirm that I followed the above instructions today and SwirlyMMS began working immediately after my phone reboot. The Technician said she knew exactly what I was talking about and could handle it quickly. She knew why I was asking for the changes without me discussing it. I'd guess they've had a few calls requesting these modifications and seemed happy to help out.

My settings after reboot:
MMSC:
http://mmsc.cingular.com
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
do you have to have an MMS plan for your phone? i don't use mms often enough to get a plan for it, but it would be nice to at least have it working

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
I have the unlimited text/pics package. Remember for this to work you have to Jailbreak your phone and get SwirlyMMS.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
do you have to have an MMS plan for your phone? i don't use mms often enough to get a plan for it, but it would be nice to at least have it working
I don't think so, you can get text and mms on a pay per use basis on any other phone. The key for it to work on AT&T is it has to be regular messaging, not iPhone messaging.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I have an online buddy that works at an AT&T corporate store in another state. I asked him to change my messaging from an iPhone messaging plan to a regular plan and enable WAP push. He told me there was no problem changing the plan, but he did not have access to enable WAP push, I would need to contact customer care for that. After he switched my messaging plan (it was a Sunday, I did not attempt to contact customer care) I rebooted my phone, opened swirlyMMS and sent a test MMS to my wife, went through without a hitch, she then sent me another one back received it with no problem. I have been sending and receiving MMS for the last couple of weeks with no issues.

cavanaugh

Jan 16, 2009
You bums... Still not seeing anything useful in the app store. jailbreaking is looking more and more worthwhile.

;)

Ah well, I'll keep up the search (but will probably break down and jailbreak eventually). Thanks all!

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
For those of you who managed to get the non-iphone text/mms package on your iPhones, let us know if it effects your monthly statement in any way.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
For those of you who managed to get the non-iphone text/mms package on your iPhones, let us know if it effects your monthly statement in any way.
It should not effect it at all. I simply switched from one plan to a different one that cost the exact same amount and gave me the exact same thing with one exception...I could send mms as well as text.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
It should not effect it at all. I simply switched from one plan to a different one that cost the exact same amount and gave me the exact same thing with one exception...I could send mms as well as text.
Good deal... I just wonder if ATT will pick up on it.. a non iPhone txt plan on an iPhone... ya know...

P.S. How do I contact your buddy? lol jk

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Good deal... I just wonder if ATT will pick up on it.. a non iPhone txt plan on an iPhone... ya know...

P.S. How do I contact your buddy? lol jk
I'm hoping they won't pick up on it. One good thing is I am not a heavy texter/MMS user, I have the 200 message plan and very rarely go over and have never gone over enough that it would pay to have the next level up. I have had my wifes PDA on a medianet plan (rather than a pda plan for twice as much money) for a couple of years and they have never caught on.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
There are a few MMS applications on Cydia out there. I have tried SwirlyMMS and it didn't work for me, so I just gave up.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
I'm hoping they won't pick up on it. One good thing is I am not a heavy texter/MMS user, I have the 200 message plan and very rarely go over and have never gone over enough that it would pay to have the next level up. I have had my wifes PDA on a medianet plan (rather than a pda plan for twice as much money) for a couple of years and they have never caught on.
Yeah... that's one worry I have.... I'm a heavy texter, and I would be pretty heavy on the MMS as well... :)

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You know, I think in general AT&T doesn't care if you MMS with your iPhone. It's ol' Steve Jobs and company who believe that MMS is not high-tech enough for the iPhone. Unfortunately, Apple isn't aware that many US customers don't want to spend $15 - $45 for internet access on top of their phone and MMS/SMS plans. It's as if they think the entire world only has iPhones that are required to have data plans. A firmware update and a call to AT&T would be all that's needed to get true MMS working. Until then, I'll use SwirlyMMS on my 3G iPhone.