MMS vs MAIL!

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ladies and Gentlemen - let's get ready to ruuuuuuummmblee!

MMS vs MAIL: What is it that makes MMS so special? Why can't we just use the great e-mail we know so well from our desktops and laptops?...we are using these almost every day..

Why can't we just take some funny pictures and put them right in an e-mail or attach some files.

Why do we need the MMS? - Is that why Apple "don't listen to us"!?..

...I'll bet my money and time on e-mail! :cool:

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
MMS would be cool but email is awesome. If ATT would come up with some sort of way to convert incoming MMS messages to our email inbox instead of using the dreaded Viewmydayummessage.com, it would pacify 85% of the MMS cry babies

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
MMS would be cool but email is awesome. If ATT would come up with some sort of way to convert incoming MMS messages to our email inbox instead of using the dreaded Viewmydayummessage.com, it would pacify 85% of the MMS cry babies
What a great idea - converting MMS -> E-mails!...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I think Apple are driving the market.

At the moment iPhone users are saying "Why can't I send MMS to my friends?"

Once critical mass is achieved, non-iphone users will be saying "Why can't I receive emails from my friends?". Then go and buy an iPhone.

Simple really.

So, instead of complaining about the lack of MMS, just say "Didn't you get that pic I emailed? Oh, I forgot, you're still using MMS".

That's the way Apple drives the market.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I like the idea of mms to our email accounts. I'll take this anyday over viewmymessagethatdoesntwork.com

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think Apple are driving the market.

At the moment iPhone users are saying "Why can't I send MMS to my friends?"

Once critical mass is achieved, non-iphone users will be saying "Why can't I receive emails from my friends?". Then go and buy an iPhone.

Simple really.

So, instead of complaining about the lack of MMS, just say "Didn't you get that pic I emailed? Oh, I forgot, you're still using MMS".

That's the way Apple drives the market.
LOL....what a great joke you just made here, and oh is so true! Why should the fancy new iPhone...or other great mobiles use an old MMS system?

Okay - I still have respect for the MMS "we-still-love-it-in-an-old-fashion" way...

How old is the MMS system by the way?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I don't mind that I can't receive MMS but I hate that I can't email it to someones phone. I type in their phones email (10 digit@txt.att.net) and then when they get the message the text is there but it says attachment deleted. Thats kinda lame if u ask me

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
I don't mind that I can't receive MMS but I hate that I can't email it to someones phone. I type in their phones email (10 digit@txt.att.net) and then when they get the message the text is there but it says attachment deleted. Thats kinda lame if u ask me
Kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

I wonder if emailing to phonenumber@mms.att.net would work better?

JeffPom

Bronze
Oct 13, 2008
Why MMS? because lots of folks don't have the awesomeness that is the iPhone. They can't email pictures, they can't receive attachments and pics in email. They're on the road - no computer, want to send a picture or a video (I'd love to have that too!) and can't.

I wonder if Apple's being lazy and hoping that someone will develop said capabilities...

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Why MMS? because lots of folks don't have the awesomeness that is the iPhone. They can't email pictures, they can't receive attachments and pics in email. They're on the road - no computer, want to send a picture or a video (I'd love to have that too!) and can't.

I wonder if Apple's being lazy and hoping that someone will develop said capabilities...
That would be people with an old mobile phone!? MMS is an old "guy" and everybody are using e-mails today. Why should Apple's iPhone be ready for an old technology...like MMS?

I think the carrier should have some kind of converting tools - converting MMS -> Mails and this one is difficult: converting Mails -> MMS...

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I agree that the carrier just converting to mms would end this long and painful discussion. I also agree with at least the possibility that this is Apple's attempt at driving more people towards the iPhone.
The only other solution (and I like the carrier conversion the best) would be for someone to just develop an app that either converts or just adds mms capabilites to the iPhone.
WELL, somebody just get off your butt and start developing !

Last edited by a moderator:

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
But there must be something "wrong": there are lots of cool developers who can made an MMS app...but Apple wont allow this...let's see some conversion from the carriers...finish..

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I'm in the "if your phone can't handle email, it sucks" camp also. I have no desire for MMS on iPhone, I'll wait for the rest of the world to catch up.

onyxxx6700

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Ladies and Gentlemen - let's get ready to ruuuuuuummmblee!

MMS vs MAIL: What is it that makes MMS so special? Why can't we just use the great e-mail we know so well from our desktops and laptops?...we are using these almost every day..

Why can't we just take some funny pictures and put them right in an e-mail or attach some files.

Why do we need the MMS? - Is that why Apple "don't listen to us"!?..

...I'll bet my money and time on e-mail! :cool:
Not trying to be funny, but since we own the latest and greatest phone on the market.....how about it have everything? How about I don't have to ask someone that wants to send me a pic, to reformat it? How about I simply send a pic to phone number instead of worrying about who has what phone and how old MMS is?

I'd rather have it ALL, instead of just about it all.

I remember my sidekick days....someone would send me a pic out of the blue, then I cant get it, then I have to send the text asking them to format it to email, then I get a return text "that's too much typing", now I cant get the pic. It drives me crazy.

I paid the money, it does EVERYTHING, at least let me get some pics without the hassle or rationalizing it.

Just my opinion.

koolhand79

Bronze
Oct 6, 2007
KILLA CALI
not trying to be funny, but since we own the latest and greatest phone on the market.....how about it have everything? How about i don't have to ask someone that wants to send me a pic, to reformat it? How about i simply send a pic to phone number instead of worrying about who has what phone and how old mms is?

I'd rather have it all, instead of just about it all.

I remember my sidekick days....someone would send me a pic out of the blue, then i cant get it, then i have to send the text asking them to format it to email, then i get a return text "that's too much typing", now i cant get the pic. It drives me crazy.

I paid the money, it does everything, at least let me get some pics without the hassle or rationalizing it.

Just my opinion.

amen to that!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm in the "if your phone can't handle email, it sucks" camp also. I have no desire for MMS on iPhone, I'll wait for the rest of the world to catch up.
Well you will be waiting a long time based on statistics posted in another thread that 36 million MMS messages are sent a month. That statistic was only for the UK. Who knows what the monthly MMS sent figures are worldwide...Mark