Mobile Me and Outlook question.....

ctmed5408

Jun 24, 2010
I just downloaded the Mobile Me trial this morning and so far I am not too excited. Basically, up until today, all my email has been coming to my @att.net email address on my iPhone without a problem. I also have Microsoft Outlook at home which I don't sign into very much as I do mostly everything on my phone. When I do sign into my Outlook, there can sometimes be 500-1000 emails that down load when it does a send/receive off the server as they did not delete when I deleted them on my iPhone. I was told that Mobile Me would solve this and that when I received an email on my iPhone and then deleted it that it would sync over to my outlook and delete it from there as well. Basically, I was under the impression that Mobile Me be just like when I had a Blackberry and when I would delete and e-mail it would ask me if I wanted to delete it from just the phone or from the phone and the e-mail server. Any help would be appreciated.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
That is more a function of your email account and not MobileMe. It sounds like your email is a POP3 account, which leaves emails on the server until you specifically delete them - from the server, not your iPhone. If it is a POP account, you may be able to set your iPhone up in Settings in your email account to remove them from the server when you remove them from your inbox (iPhone Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>[email account]>Advanced>Delete from server). If this is the case they would not download onto your Outlook inbox when you get home and sign into Outlook.

ctmed5408

Jun 24, 2010
I just changed this as you said. If this works than I actually would not need Mobile Me unless I wanted it for it's other features, correct?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I just changed this as you said. If this works than I actually would not need Mobile Me unless I wanted it for it's other features, correct?
If that was main reason then probably not. It does have great syncing of contacts, calendars, etc. and I like the Find My iPhone feature but it is spendy. That may change sometime soon so you might just do your trial and see what happens.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
If you can set up your att account as an IMAP (instead of POP), then you can keep all your email on both your phone and your computer. However, if read on your phone, when you open the computer email program, the messages will be there, but marked read. GMAIL does this quite nicely. You could forward all your att email to a gmail account (free), and set the gmail account up on your computer as an IMAP (there are easy instructions on gmail's website) and then read mail on either platform and both will mark the messages as read.

Mobile Me does the same thing, just costs some money, but it does have some nice features and the calendar and mail sync are two I like in addition to having my pictures.

Forward your att mail to your x@me.com address and you get the same functions.