Mobile Me over Exchange?

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Anyone use MMe instead of Exchange? I am wondering about this, because I think Mobile Me is wonderful and actually works better and has better features than Exchange. I am considering changing my email address for work to my @me.com address.

Anyone else?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Anyone use MMe instead of Exchange? I am wondering about this, because I think Mobile Me is wonderful and actually works better and has better features than Exchange. I am considering changing my email address for work to my @me.com address.

Anyone else?
Nah. I use them both.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I have been using mail2web exchange for a couple of years now. The businesss exchange is around $14/month, so I figured I'd give Mobile Me a shot as it is much cheaper. As of right now, I have had much more reliability with exchange and everything pushes immediately. Although mobile me does look very promising if it finally gets working properly. I really like using iCal much better vs entourage, but with snow leopard around the corner we'll be able to use the mac apps with exchange instead of just entourage. So if the trial doesn't work out, we can still go the exchange route with the naitive apps on the mac.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I am pretty sure you have to use @me.com. Although I did see an option in the Mail app to create an email alias, so you may be able to change your "from" address. Can anyone with more Mme experience chime in?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Despite the first few weeks, where I just could not trust it, I'm going on a week now completely relying on MobileMe for my calendaring, contacts and bookmarks on iPhone, Macs, and PC at work. Outlook and MobileMe don't play well when my stuff is stored on Exchange...so I don't bother using my work calendar--just pull up my MobileMe calendar on Safari on my PC. Slowly, I'm beginning to trust MobileMe to sync properly. So far have only had one sync reset problem--restored the MobileMe calendar and have had no problems. In the last week, MobileMe has changed calendars about 95% of the time. Occasionally an appointment does not move/delete on the web when it was done on the iPhone. I know they'll get this 100% at some point, and I can live with that. Contacts pretty much work 100% for me...awesome support.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
cool. Just to make sure its totally transparent. When one replies from their mobileme account it can say this message is from dude@company.com and not dude@mobileme.com. Correct?

If that is the case, I may switch to MobileMe soon.
No you CANNOT do this. MobileMe can host a domain for you...but YOU must own the domain, not Company X. They will host a website on that domain for you to publish to using iWeb '08. Short of that, you cannot just change the "From" address to whatever you want and use the MobileMe SMTP servers.

And just to clarify, the MobileMe address is @me.com, not @mobileme.com.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Despite the first few weeks, where I just could not trust it, I'm going on a week now completely relying on MobileMe for my calendaring, contacts and bookmarks on iPhone, Macs, and PC at work. Outlook and MobileMe don't play well when my stuff is stored on Exchange...so I don't bother using my work calendar--just pull up my MobileMe calendar on Safari on my PC. Slowly, I'm beginning to trust MobileMe to sync properly. So far have only had one sync reset problem--restored the MobileMe calendar and have had no problems. In the last week, MobileMe has changed calendars about 95% of the time. Occasionally an appointment does not move/delete on the web when it was done on the iPhone. I know they'll get this 100% at some point, and I can live with that. Contacts pretty much work 100% for me...awesome support.
I actually tried doing this (using MMe instead of exchange even for work) and the only thing that bothered me is that I cannot accept invitations from exchange calendars using MMe. So, for now, until Snow Leopard is released, I will use Exchange for Calendars, Contacts and Mail and use MMe for Mail and Bookmarks.

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
No you CANNOT do this. MobileMe can host a domain for you...but YOU must own the domain, not Company X. They will host a website on that domain for you to publish to using iWeb '08. Short of that, you cannot just change the "From" address to whatever you want and use the MobileMe SMTP servers.

And just to clarify, the MobileMe address is @me.com, not @mobileme.com.

Well that stinks. Here's to hoping they add that feature in a future update.

Thanks so much for the info.