Mobile Me Question

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
Hey guys. I have been reading these forumns for a long time, along with trying to keep up with this new iPhone 3g. I never got V1, because I did not want the edge network. So I am glad I held up a year to get this new one.

I am looking into what plan to get, of course we all are with the increased price of the data plan along with voice plan (because no txt). Despite all that I have one question:

What does Mobile Me give you? I heard people saying Push email, contact, etc. I mean I know Apples site says that but what does PUSH mean? What am I missing? If I already have email support on the phone, what does PUSH email do for you?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
push email is defined in this wikipedia article.

this is Apple's way of adding this capability for non-corporate users. most companies who provide email access via a smartphone (usually a blackberry) to their employees do so with push capability so they can ensure their employees are essentially on call 24/7 since they can get to their email virtually any time of the day. unless a smart (rebellious? about to be fired?) employee like me sets her blackberry to automatically turn itself off every evening and turn itself back on in the morning, that is. ;)

i'm also pretty excited about the over-the-air syncing of my calendar and address book with my iPhone using mobileme. if they provide a way to sync iTunes content wirelessly as well, i'll never have to connect my iPhone to my macbook ever again...

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
ah I see. but is it really worth the $99 for just syncing a calander and contacts with a computer? Seems a bit expensive, or does the plan come with extras like mroe minutes, txt, or something?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
ah I see. but is it really worth the $99 for just syncing a calander and contacts with a computer? Seems a bit expensive, or does the plan come with extras like mroe minutes, txt, or something?
there's information on what's included on Apple's site here. one of the bigger items included is 20GB of online storage space for your email and/or whatever files you want to keep there. i use my current space to backup selected items from my hard drive, and to share large files intead of emailing them. i also have a couple of photo sites hosted with them that i created with iweb.

MoFunz

Jun 27, 2008
MobileMe isn't going to be directly affiliated with ATT Im sure. Thusly I'd doubt there's going to be any minutes/txt bonuses for signing up.

For me, if the MobileMe were a 1-time purchase for $99 then it'd absolutely be worth it. Inputting data at whichever terminal is closest to me (phone, pc, library pc, whatever) and having all that data available everywhere else is a huge deal. Those with ADD rejoice!
If its $99/yr then I guess that even I'm not so sure...honestly I haven't bothered to check. Anyone happen to know this off the top of their head?

edit: this is my 1st post here btw, buying my first iPhone on the 11th. wewtz.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
The $99/year charge was a joke for .Mac. Sure, you got 10GB of online storage and web hosting, but I felt it was a waste. I kept paying it because I figured Apple would eventually make it cool and they did, about 2 years late. Will I be keeping it? I'm not sure. With all of the cool stuff Google has for free, I'll have to weigh it out.

Joe

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have three Macs - iMac at office, MacBook and MacPro and home, as well as an iPhone. One thing really useful with .mac is that all of my calendars, contacts, bookmarks, and more, are automatically synched between all three computers (and the iPhone, when plugged in to any Mac). This allow me, for example, to add/revise/delete a contact (or appt) on any of the four devices, and the change will automatically flow to all four devices. This alone makes .mac worth $99/year.

Naudan

Jun 30, 2008
I have three Macs - iMac at office, MacBook and MacPro and home, as well as an iPhone. One thing really useful with .mac is that all of my calendars, contacts, bookmarks, and more, are automatically synched between all three computers (and the iPhone, when plugged in to any Mac). This allow me, for example, to add/revise/delete a contact (or appt) on any of the four devices, and the change will automatically flow to all four devices. This alone makes .mac worth $99/year.

Alright. That does make sense that all your devices are synced. I see the point, thanks for all the repsonses!