Mobile Me Vs. GMail

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Mobile Me will allow me to add my pop accounts, and so will GMail, but GMail is free compared to Mobile Me.

I was wondering why not just use GMail for push mail?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i use gmail and i get instant push email to my iPhone. i have tested it out and it works perfectly. check out this thread that i talked about it.
imo mobilme is a waste, but i'm just a college student so what would i know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think Pepe is the exception in this. Gmail is not supposed to push, at least not yet. Good for Pepe though.

Mobile Me is more than just push e-mail. It also pushes your contacts and calendars WIRELESSLY. You also get a photo gallery for uploading and 20GB of storage. All for $99/year.

For some, it's worth it. But, not for me. I don't need push that badly and I don't need the other stuff as well.

I'm sticking with Gmail at least until Yahoo has better push e-mail.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I think I will stick with GMail as well. I run a few websites so I can just put my files up there.

The only thing I don't like about GMail is how it reads your e-mails for the ads, which I never click on or pay attention too.

I also hear Mobile Me doesn't use encryption on their web client - :\

3Guser

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I am on AOL and use thunderbird as my email client on the laptop. While I don't have push for email on my iPhone but it is still pretty quick I get my calendar synced instantly from thunderbird to my iPhone 3G and vice versa within a second wirelessly for free. It rocks. I agree mobileme is not worth the price....at the current moment. Still waiting on push for AOL email.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I am on AOL and use thunderbird as my email client on the laptop. While I don't have push for email on my iPhone but it is still pretty quick I get my calendar synced instantly from thunderbird to my iPhone 3G and vice versa within a second wirelessly for free. It rocks. I agree mobileme is not worth the price....at the current moment. Still waiting on push for AOL email.
How do you sync your thunderbird calendar? I also use it and don't see a way to do this.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I have my gmail account set up to send me a SMS whenever I get an email. It's very quick!

3Guser

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
How do you sync your thunderbird calendar? I also use it and don't see a way to do this.

Hehehe! I learned it this morning. Get the "provider for google calendar" addon in the thunderbird. Also get a google calendar account. Then synch the google calendar to thunderbird. Now you can use the calendar in thunderird like you always have...except here is the cool part...iPhone supports google calendar. So now you can sync the google calendar to your iPhone using a free wireless called nuevasync. After doing so uncheck the home calendar in thunderbird and keep the google one checked. Whenever you add something to the thunderbird calendar its automatically on your phone and vice versa. Here are the steps.

http://www.themoneyblogs.com/techbu...hunderbird-and-sync-with-google-calendar.html

http://www.ianfernando.com/2008/sync-google-calendar-with-iphone-3g/

Edit: Make sure you click the calendar on an contacts and email off in the steps of the second link I sent you. Also in nuevasync makes sure the calendar setting is on and set up to your google account. Very easy. I am loving it. It is instant! I am going to bed but if you have questions or need help let me know I will help you in the morning.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Mobile Me is nice if you can pay the $99 a year, for me it just wasn't worth the extra money, I was just as satisfied with my gmail but it was FREE, so I cancelled my trial and went back to gmail.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Mobile Me is nice if you can pay the $99 a year, for me it just wasn't worth the extra money, I was just as satisfied with my gmail but it was FREE, so I cancelled my trial and went back to gmail.
I might just stick with GMail.

I have some ideas to make mobile me better or more appealing to people so they will pay.

1. You get an account free for a year when you purchase the phone.
2. You get charged 5 bucks a month on your AT&T bill for mobile me

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I might just stick with GMail.

I have some ideas to make mobile me better or more appealing to people so they will pay.

1. You get an account free for a year when you purchase the phone.
2. You get charged 5 bucks a month on your AT&T bill for mobile me
Mobile Me is not just for people with an iPhone. I've read some of your posts regarding Mobile Me and I don't think you really get what it is. You don't have to have an iPhone to use Mobile Me. So how do they charge the people who use Mobile Me because they have two computers and want them to be in sync?

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Mobile Me is not just for people with an iPhone. I've read some of your posts regarding Mobile Me and I don't think you really get what it is. You don't have to have an iPhone to use Mobile Me. So how do they charge the people who use Mobile Me because they have two computers and want them to be in sync?
I know what Mobile Me is and I know why they created it. I guess I wasn't clear in my posting.

I was making suggestions for all the people that buy iPhones, this way Apple can get more people to use Mobile Me by giving it to you as a bonus for buying the iPhone. This would also help them go up against RIM with their push mail. All BB get push mail when you purchase the phone at no extra cost to the user.

People that don't have one will need to pay the 99/year (Is this fair, not entirely).

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I know what Mobile Me is and I know why they created it. I guess I wasn't clear in my posting.

I was making suggestions for all the people that buy iPhones, this way Apple can get more people to use Mobile Me by giving it to you as a bonus for buying the iPhone. This would also help them go up against RIM with their push mail. All BB get push mail when you purchase the phone at no extra cost to the user.

People that don't have one will need to pay the 99/year (Is this fair, not entirely).
But it's not just push email. You're paying for the other services. Not just the push email. You're paying for the ability to store stuff online. You're paying for the ability to have your calendars and contacts sync wirelessly. You're paying for the ability to have a photo gallery. You're paying for more than just push email!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
But it's not just push email. You're paying for the other services. Not just the push email. You're paying for the ability to store stuff online. You're paying for the ability to have your calendars and contacts sync wirelessly. You're paying for the ability to have a photo gallery. You're paying for more than just push email!
Correct (I will admit I don't need all of that stuff, but it is nice)

But my point still stands give this with an iPhone purchase (either free or at a reduced price) and it will be more then RIM gives you with a BB, which in turn could bring more people over. That's the point I am trying to make. :laugh2:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Correct (I will admit I don't need all of that stuff, but it is nice)

But my point still stands give this with an iPhone purchase (either free or at a reduced price) and it will be more then RIM gives you with a BB, which in turn could bring more people over. That's the point I am trying to make. :laugh2:
I'm sorry, but I don't think $99/year is excessive. I just don't. I like Mobile Me. I like that I don't need to carry a jump drive. I like that my contacts and calendars are just "there." I mean, really, it's less than $10/mo. I pay more for my satellite radio and that's just in my car. I don't feel that this a rip off and Apple has been charging users for years to have a .mac account, which is what Mobile Me is, essentially.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I'm sorry, but I don't think $99/year is excessive. I just don't. I like Mobile Me. I like that I don't need to carry a jump drive. I like that my contacts and calendars are just "there." I mean, really, it's less than $10/mo. I pay more for my satellite radio and that's just in my car. I don't feel that this a rip off and Apple has been charging users for years to have a .mac account, which is what Mobile Me is, essentially.
I'm sure Mobile Me is nice. I signed up for the free trial. I just know there are security issues with it right now. The web client isn't secured and they don't set the path for your storage to automatically require a password.

I'll give it a try for 60 days and see how I like it.

laststanding

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
i use gmail and i get instant push email to my iPhone. i have tested it out and it works perfectly. check out this thread that i talked about it.

imo mobilme is a waste, but i'm just a college student so what would i know.
He is not asking if there is an option of Push with gmail.. He is just making a statement on why not use gmail..

OP - Yes we agree with you. Mobileme is crap anyways...

Also be careful people if you Mobileme... Once you cancel your service.... your contacts will be GONNEEEEEEE.. i don't think even backup will work, so better export them to outlook before cancelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
He is not asking if there is an option of Push with gmail.. He is just making a statement on why not use gmail..

OP - Yes we agree with you. Mobileme is crap anyways...

Also be careful people if you Mobileme... Once you cancel your service.... your contacts will be GONNEEEEEEE.. i don't think even backup will work, so better export them to outlook before cancelling.
what if I have a mac and all
My contacts are in address book, will I still be okay? All this talk about mobile me makes me want it. Does anyone know if I can change the default from address to my Gmail account and not
My me account?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
what if I have a mac and all
My contacts are in address book, will I still be okay? All this talk about mobile me makes me want it. Does anyone know if I can change the default from address to my Gmail account and not
My me account?

I believe so. Just in case, you can choose

File----->Export------>Address Book Archive....

You will then be presented with a save dialogue box. Saving saves a full backup, including correct placement of contacts in groups, etc., that you can always use to restore.

I do this on a regular basis, just in case. Part of my regular backup routine.