Mobile You and Me

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
Like many customers new to Apple, I bought Mobile Me the same time as I bought the iPad last year. That means my year is coming to an end and Apple is sending me e-mails reminding me. At the same time, I read numerous rumors such as the one below saying Apple is radically changing Mobile Me and that it might end up being free. I am just curious about what might be the best advice for users like me, and what are the implications of waiting past the renewal date.

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i believe they give you a two-week grace period before they cancel the service. and then maybe another week or so before they erase your information and email address. Your data will only be removed from the cloud, so it will remain on your devices.

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
As many, I bought MobileMe last year at the same time I bought my iPad, which means it just ran out and left me "inactive". Given the plethora of rumors about MM, and the intimation that something might happen at WWDC, I haven't renewed mainly because I can't afford to. Given the fact that "the Cloud" is the new big thing in terms of tech buzz words, do you think that Apple may address this in a new way? I liked MobileMe, but in honesty, for me it wasn't worth $100.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I'm in the same boat and I won't shell out $100 for a service that should be free... Too bad because I like MobileMe but can't justify the cost when all othes are free....

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
The only reason I payed for MobileMe before was for the find my iPhone/iPad feature which is now free. I will agree with you guys for the most part MM is a waste of $100 bucks. I would get it maybe if it was $100 dollars 1 time fee for life.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Many of the features are available for free or at a lower price, but I like having them all provided through one service and supported by Apple. You can get MobileMe for much less than $100 on eBay. The more Mac products you have, the more valuable MobileMe is. I really like the push contacts, calendars, iDisk, and bookmark syncing. I don't think there is another service that provides real-time bookmark syncing.

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
Thanks, Europa! The reason I come to Everythingicafe is people like you and Mickey. The only way to acquire knowledge is to seek it. While I am relatively new to Apple, I've been a techie for decades. I can't tell you how many times I called a tech support number and after 5 or 6 totally unsuccessful calls, got just the right person who had the answer. Then I can share later with someone else. Thanks to you all, including Napoleon.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Naps he hasn't calumniated your reputation in any way! You've done that all by yourself! Oh and thanks Smudgy!

Hey Europa your signature really looks funny when you post right after smudgyjoe! It looks like you have issues about the way he's dressed.....

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
This was a really difficult day trying to protect and care for my adult son with schizo-affective disorder. I'm going to really besmirch you, Napoleon, by saying that your comment made me smile and laugh. Thanks very much!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I used the word "besmirch" because I misspelled that word in the Ohio State Spelling Bee when I was in the fifth grade. I'm exorcising my demons.

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
I misspelled "solder" in the Colorado State Spelling in 1960. I could spell much harder words but panicked and spelled it without thinking.
By the way, in regards to the MobileMe post, I decided I didn't want to wait until June to see what might happen. I found a seller, S & B Surplus, on Amazon. I bought it for 68$, and the owner sent me an e-mail with the code as soon as it cleared the Amazon Store. The code worked perfectly!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I've kept MobileMe around for near 11 years now (when it was iTools), for a number of reasons. It works out to $8.33/month, for ad-less email, calendar and contacts. I prefer to pay for a clean interface, not cluttered with ads. Rene Richie on TiPb puts it best when he states that with, say, Google, you are the commodity, not the data. However, as a service, it has lots to be desired and I don't fully trust it.

And the other reason I've held onto it is my coveted .mac e-mail address. .me just seems obnoxious...I'd be embarrassed to give that out to anyone.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I read something about Apple and cloud but now I forgot what it was called. Oh man hate getting old I look and see if I find it. It was called something else !
I've seen references to iCloud and Castle.