MobileCast - Anyone get it to work?

sp33d

Bronze
Aug 28, 2007
So I downloaded MobileCast from Installer and the program came up fine... but when i tried to plug in a feed URL. It came back with invalid link. Did anyone even get it to work?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It doesn't check for WiFi or EDGE AFAIK.

But it does seem to have a problem with certain (many?) feeds.

For example, something common like like Slate's feed didn't work at all. MobileCast accepted the feed, showed the available podcasts, but won't download them.

Then I tried http://geekbrief.podshow.com/wp-rss2.php. I really wasn't expecting MobileCast to even try to download video podcasts, but it did. Just sound in MobileCast for these it seems--no video--but it works. I am impressed.

I am listening to a podcast through MobileCast right now, while 4 others are downloading!

Ironically if anything, I would have liked 1.1.1's WiFi iTunes store in order to download podcasts (and TV shows). But it can't do it. Now I am back to 1.0.2 and I CAN download podcasts while on the go. Impressive.

--
Mike

sp33d

Bronze
Aug 28, 2007
It doesn't check for WiFi or EDGE AFAIK.

But it does seem to have a problem with certain (many?) feeds.

For example, something common like like Slate's feed didn't work at all. MobileCast accepted the feed, showed the available podcasts, but won't download them.

Then I tried http://geekbrief.podshow.com/wp-rss2.php. I really wasn't expecting MobileCast to even try to download video podcasts, but it did. Just sound in MobileCast for these it seems--no video--but it works. I am impressed.

I am listening to a podcast through MobileCast right now, while 4 others are downloading!

Ironically if anything, I would have liked 1.1.1's WiFi iTunes store in order to download podcasts (and TV shows). But it can't do it. Now I am back to 1.0.2 and I CAN download podcasts while on the go. Impressive.

--
Mike
So when you download these podcasts, are you able to delete them later or are they just temporarily cached till you close the program? Yeah I have to agree with you on the Wifi or Edge.... I tried both and didn't work. But i'm gonna give your linky a shot. Any other good podcast links out there?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So when you download these podcasts, are you able to delete them later or are they just temporarily cached till you close the program? Yeah I have to agree with you on the Wifi or Edge.... I tried both and didn't work. But i'm gonna give your linky a shot. Any other good podcast links out there?
About deleting, yes you can do that in the app no problem. Until you do that they are available for playing.

Regarding the link I listed, don't bother with it as it is video and this app will only play the audio track. Waste of download time, and space.

Another one that works is CNN. I don't have the URL handy (damn cut & paste) but you can easily search for it (well, there are more than one, like news, sports, etc.).

--
Mike

sp33d

Bronze
Aug 28, 2007
Just an FYI that MobileCast has been updated. As of this moment it's not on installer, but it can be downloaded from here:
http://web.mac.com/matthew.t.smith/iWeb/Site/MobileCast/MobileCast_files/MobileCast-1.zip

This update cleared up the issue I was having with certain feeds not downloading. The Slate feed I listed up above, for instance, now downloads fine.

--
Mike
Sweet... I guess i'll wait for it to get on installer.. too lazy to do the long way of installing it. :cool:

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
I'm at 1.1.1 and loving wifi iTunes. But without podcast support - it leaves me a little dry. Considering the downgrade to be able to use Mobilecast. Any screenshots of the app screens ?

thanks

lolos

Sep 23, 2007
The "Remove File" button seemed the logical choice to me.

--
Mike

I think he was referring to the feeds themselves not the downloaded files. I am facing the same problem. There are some podcasts that I am no longer interested in them and there is no way to remove them from my list.

I tried to uninstall the app but they come back when I re-install the app!

I even downloaded MobilFinder and deleted all the files associated with MobileCast that I could fine but it only removed half of the podcasts and not all of them -- weird!

Please let me know if someone found a solution... I am sure it can be done.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think he was referring to the feeds themselves not the downloaded files.
The question that I answered originally about deleting was about the podcasts, not the feeds.

As for deleting feeds, it's just a swipe-to-the-right to delete.

--
Mike

one1

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Signal Mountain, TN
After emailing the developer and getting the response back to swipe your finger to the right I was good to go. This was after the less helpful earlier post by tin, and before the more helpful one latter on. Good support by the dev! He answers emails.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
After emailing the developer and getting the response back to swipe your finger to the right I was good to go. This was after the less helpful earlier post by tin, and before the more helpful one latter on. Good support by the dev! He answers emails.
I can't read your mind, and again, the previous discussion about deleting pertained to podcasts and not feeds.

Had you been specific in your query, as lolos was, you wouldn't have needed to bother the developer.

--
Mike