MobileChat vs. ApolloIM

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Which messaging program do you think is better? And why?
Now that Apollo IM got its update it is far better. In MobileChat the person will respond, and a little text message-like notification appears. However, after closing it the response doesn't even appear in the window. The ONLY insignificant thing MobileChat has that Apollo doesn't is the ability to go Away (in my opinion).

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Apollo, because the vibrate and sound feature which works even while its in the background, suspended.

Things to fix.

Support for multiple logins on one account (where AOL Message System says, your screen name blah blah blah has been logged on two locations)
Currently both applications give an error when trying to log on to an account that has already online somewhere else.

Also, Mobilechat seems a lot more stable. Apollo seems to disconnect me a lot at random without me even knowing, unless i monitor myself from the computer or go to check my buddy list and see that I'm offline. Currently I haven't been disconnected at all in Mobile chat.

Also I like the looks of Mobile chat a lot more (iChat UI), But i wouldn't give up vibration, notification on IM's (with a number count) from the Springboard or sound for stability, speed and an away message.

mattolson

Bronze
Aug 23, 2007
Support for multiple logins on one account (where AOL Message System says, your screen name blah blah blah has been logged on two locations)
Currently both applications give an error when trying to log on to an account that has already online somewhere else.
No matter what App or program on any computer you use this notification will always pop up. It is an AIM thing not an iPhone app thing and it will prob never be disabled.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Can you use either of these programs to send or receive SMS text messages or does it have to be with someone who is logged into a chat program on their home computer or cell phone? If so, does this make it so we can have unlimited text messaging? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I've just never done chat on a phone before.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Can you use either of these programs to send or receive SMS text messages or does it have to be with someone who is logged into a chat program on their home computer or cell phone? If so, does this make it so we can have unlimited text messaging? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I've just never done chat on a phone before.
They have to be the chat client itself, no unlimited sms. :(

Ches415

Sep 3, 2007
After the update, Apollo.

Apollo
Pros:
Vibrate/Sound
Buddy List is not shuffled
It has a nice counter when you are on the home page
Stays connected for a while when phone is Locked, sounds still work

Cons:
Crashes
Ugly

MobileChat
Pros:
iChat UI and sounds
Apple feel to it
Stable

Cons:
BL is shuffled and takes some time to load
Still very basic

jUeLz23

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
ok so the question was asked already but the answer wasn't clear.
does Mobile Chat use your SMS messages or just works with the data plan?

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
No matter what App or program on any computer you use this notification will always pop up. It is an AIM thing not an iPhone app thing and it will prob never be disabled.
That is not the issue i am addressing, your misunderstanding me or maybe I worded it funny. Anyway my mistake.

Usually that message will pop up, but in BOTH applications. An error: "Disconnected" or "unable to connect" happens and you are never able to successfuly log on. I never had that problem with other chat clients for mobile or computer such as agile, IM+. adium etc. This problem is only resolved by logging off the account that has signed in already or using a different account thats not online.

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I installed Apollo and it logs in fine, but when someone sends me a IM It makes the IM sound but does not display any notification on the ICON. When I click the ICON to go to the main Apollo screen, it does not show I received a new message. So.... in my case, its not working right for some reason.

That is not the issue i am addressing, your misunderstanding me or maybe I worded it funny. Anyway my mistake.

Usually that message will pop up, but in BOTH applications. An error: "Disconnected" or "unable to connect" happens and you are never able to successfuly log on. I never had that problem with other chat clients for mobile or computer such as agile, IM+. adium etc. This problem is only resolved by logging off the account that has signed in already or using a different account thats not online.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
ok

New version of Mobilechat, KILLS Apollo completely.

Stable as a Rock.
Profile Features, Away Msg, Notification Options, Full Suspend Capability (no disconnecting in background without warning), Saves Accounts, Multiple Accounts, Can Add Mac Accounts Now, Pop Up Bubble Notifications, Full iChat Feel to it.

The problem I was having earlier is now, SOLVED in Mobilechat, still present in Apollo. Im fully satisfied, I just wish for MSN + Yahoo Support.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
With the new update MobileChat all the way. The only thing that irritated me with MobileChat was not saving log in info, and it does that now. I just hope it stays connected. As long as it stays logged on I will be very pleased

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
MobileChat still has a few bugs.

1. I was in a long conversation and everytime I'd get an IM from that person it would scroll the conversation to the top everytime.. very annoying. Then I have to scroll all the way to the bottom.

2. Text bubbles are too tall when there is 1 line of text.

3. Tapping anywhere outside of the bubbles allowed me to start typing crap everywhere.. weird.

Other than that its really cool.