MobileMe and 6 work emails

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
So I have a colleague that just got MobileMe so he can have all of this work emails (6) pushed to his phone. What I told him to do is to go into settings in each account and something along the lines of "forward a copy to email address:______". My only concern is that when he replies to the email, is it possible to change the "from" address in MM. He wants to reply witht he proper email not another companies email. What is the best way for him to do this.

He loves the MM idea of syncing the calendar so he can "clock in and out" just by making appointments on his iPhone and sync it with "the cloud" then update the phone.

TIA

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
So I have a colleague that just got MobileMe so he can have all of this work emails (6) pushed to his phone. What I told him to do is to go into settings in each account and something along the lines of "forward a copy to email address:______". My only concern is that when he replies to the email, is it possible to change the "from" address in MM. He wants to reply witht he proper email not another companies email. What is the best way for him to do this.

He loves the MM idea of syncing the calendar so he can "clock in and out" just by making appointments on his iPhone and sync it with "the cloud" then update the phone.

TIA
From what I understand the .mac/.me email will not allow you to reply from your work addy. The gmail IMAP will and it works almost as well as the push mac mail. You can get the IMAP sent at intervals of 15 minutes. But for the IMAP to work you have to set up the gmail as other and follow gmail instructions, not set the gmail up from the gmail button.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
From what I understand the .mac/.me email will not allow you to reply from your work addy. The gmail IMAP will and it works almost as well as the push mac mail. You can get the IMAP sent at intervals of 15 minutes. But for the IMAP to work you have to set up the gmail as other and follow gmail instructions, not set the gmail up from the gmail button.
Thanks, Koko

What is the difference if you set up gmail through the "GMAIL" option vs the "Other" option. Google said that if you do the "GMAIL" it does IMAP, just acts differently? I guess it is the way it
Tap the trash button on any message > Moves message to the [Gmail]/Trash folder, where it will be permanently removed in 30 days.
You say that it works ALMOST as well, are just referring to the fact that it is IMAP and when I delete from my phone it deletes on the server as well and etc.?
Thanks koko

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks, Koko

What is the difference if you set up gmail through the "GMAIL" option vs the "Other" option. Google said that if you do the "GMAIL" it does IMAP, just acts differently? I guess it is the way it.
You say that it works ALMOST as well, are just referring to the fact that it is IMAP and when I delete from my phone it deletes on the server as well and etc.?
Thanks koko
Matt,

I have only set up the gmail IMAP as other and have liked how it will delete out of the server when you delete off the iPhone. I had gmail IMAP before any updates that allowed gmail IMAP to work using the gmail set up button on the phone. If you set up the IMAP in other (which is easy to do) it works well. I have not tested it using the gmail set up button, so I am not really sure how it works differently. It says on the gmail site, but I did not read it carefuly.

When I say the gmail IMAP works almost as well, I meant for push. The gmail does not push, but you can set your phone to get it at 15 minute intervals. For me that is fine. For others, they need instant emails.

I have only had my .mac (now mobile me account) since I got my Macbook earlier this year. I have only now begun to switch over my email to the @mac instead of @gmail. I really am enjoying the push of the mac mail, so I am using it more now.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
The only issue with the gmail is that it will add a sent of behalf of to the header. Outlook seems to be the only client that shows this though.

It will look like this:

"Sent on the behalf of "xxxx@gmail.com" for "xxxx@domain.com"

One reason I stopped using GMail for my work e-mail.

sfarris

Sep 26, 2008
Changing reply to email on MM

TIA
It is cumbersome, but not overly so. Simply tap on the FROM in the reply email on the iPhone. It gives you the option to reply from any account that is active on your phone. This requires you to have your businesss mail account set up on the iPhone, but you can do this and have it manually sync if you don't want the mail duping to the phone. I set my work mail up to forward to MobileME (and a couple of other push options) and then set it up to IMAP to the phone, so that once it is deleted, it vanishes from the IMAP account. Works pretty well so far.

YMMV.

Rick76

Sep 4, 2008
Toronto
I have set up my work email to forward to MobileMe as well but what do you mean by, "and then set it up to IMAP to the phone"?

Also, when creating a rule in Outlook for my work email, the Outlook 2003 instructions (help) showed the difference between Message Forwarding and Message Redirection. Redirection is similar to forwarding except that it does not show the message has been forwarded (which I would prefer). However, when I actually went in to create this new rule, there was no option to Redirect, only Forward.

Any ideas?

sfarris

Sep 26, 2008
I have set up my work email to forward to MobileMe as well but what do you mean by, "and then set it up to IMAP to the phone"?

Also, when creating a rule in Outlook for my work email, the Outlook 2003 instructions (help) showed the difference between Message Forwarding and Message Redirection. Redirection is similar to forwarding except that it does not show the message has been forwarded (which I would prefer). However, when I actually went in to create this new rule, there was no option to Redirect, only Forward.

Any ideas?
When you set up a new email account on the iPhone (or in Outlook, for that matter) you have the option of using the POP or IMAP protocol. Without getting too technical for my tiny vocabulary, with IMAP, deletions on your iPhone or Outlook are populated to the other device. You are affecting the messages stored on the server. This keeps you from having to do multiple deletions from both devices. POP, by all accounts, doesn't work as well on the iPhone.

As for the redirect/forward dilemma... If it gets forwarded to the iPhone, and you don't want users to know, simply change the from account on the iPhone when replying. I always thought redirect had to be done at the server level, while a forward can be done from Outlook, after the message is received and filtered.

Hope that helps, and more importantly, hope it is right!

Rick76

Sep 4, 2008
Toronto
Ok, I understand. That's how I have mine set up as well.

Regarding forwarding vs. redirect, when the message is forwarded from my Outlook 2003 to MobileMe (and my iPhone), the message shows up on my iPhone with the letters FW in front of the subject and my Outlook signature above the original message.

The Help instructions in Outlook say that if you choose Redirect instead of Forward when setting up the rules, the FW and signature will not show up in the forwarded message.

This is the way I want it to work but when I am creating the new rule in Outlook, there is no option to select Redirect in the menu of items (only Forward).

I realize I can touch the From header to change which account the reply will be sent from. But I don't want the FW to show in the subject line or my signature to show as it will already be at the end of the message.