MobileMe & Shared Calenders

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I have MobileMe and my wife does not. Can we both share an iCal calendar? Also, How do shared calendars operate, if I make a calendar entry on my iPhone will it show up on my wife's iPhone calendar if we're sharing, and will it give her some sort of notification of the new entry?

lhkm

Jun 17, 2009
I have MobileMe and my wife does not. Can we both share an iCal calendar? Also, How do shared calendars operate, if I make a calendar entry on my iPhone will it show up on my wife's iPhone calendar if we're sharing, and will it give her some sort of notification of the new entry?
If she doesn't have MM i do not think it is going to work. Where are you pushing your info to?

If I enter info in my iPhone it pushes back to my mac book and my imac.
If I enter info in my macbook it pushes back to my imac and iPhone
If I enter info in my imac it pushes back to my iPhone and macbook.

I do not get any type of notification...the info i put in just appears in my devices.

Your wife could always access the info where it was pushed backed to

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
My info is pushed to my iMac, and vice versa.
Isn't the whole point of shared calendars though, to be able to view each other's calendar entries, regardless of MobileMe or not?

lhkm

Jun 17, 2009
My info is pushed to my iMac, and vice versa.
Isn't the whole point of shared calendars though, to be able to view each other's calendar entries, regardless of MobileMe or not?
Yes you can still share, regardless of mm.

You can publish your calendar and your wife can subscribe to it. (This will have to be done on line) I do not know of any work around to get the info back to your wife's iPhone.

If there is one....I'm sure someone on this forum will post.

Sorry I couldn't help much:(

Try a google search (How to share calendars on several iPhones with mm)
There are so many forums out there or contact mm support through ichat only. They say they do not have phone support, but if it gets too complicated they will call you. If you decide to go this route, try to bypass the 1st representative and get straight to the tier 2 support.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
So let me get this straight. Others can view your shared calendars, they just cannot edit them or add to them?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
So let me get this straight. Others can view your shared calendars, they just cannot edit them or add to them?
Yes, I only tried it briefly but, my wife and I were sharing a calendar, and when I made an entry on my iPhone I was expecting to see that entry appear on her calendar on her iPhone. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to appear? Am I wrong for expecting this to happen this way?

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Well, are we worng for wanting this to happen... no. But what we are wanting is "cheap" exchange service. I think that MM gave us false since of that is what they we offering. The tagline of "Exchange of the rest of us" as a bit misleading.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Well, are we worng for wanting this to happen... no. But what we are wanting is "cheap" exchange service. I think that MM gave us false since of that is what they we offering. The tagline of "Exchange of the rest of us" as a bit misleading.
Well, MM is syncing just fine between my iPhone and my iMac, but I guess I just haven't mastered this shared calendar thing. I think maybe it's time to head to the Apple store for some assistance.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
isabouttime - let us know what you find out.

My iPhone 3G (and now 3GS) with MM almost instantly sync with my Mac Mini, Outlook 2007 on my work Vista PC, and on my Laptop Vista PC as well as the online. If I enter a calendar entry on my iPhone, they show up very quickly in all the other places and does the same if entered in any of those computers or web page.

Now that I have the 3GS and gave my wife the 3G I want the same thing you are trying to achieve. I enter something on my calendar and it shows up on mine and hers.

I know a buddy used Google Calendars and I am fairly certain it works there, but since I have MM and a lot of data there, I would rather keep it with that than move to Google.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Mobile Me Sync between two iPhones :)

Well, MM is syncing just fine between my iPhone and my iMac, but I guess I just haven't mastered this shared calendar thing. I think maybe it's time to head to the Apple store for some assistance.
I think do what you want to do. Go to your wife's phone and set up MobileMe. Then you are going to only enable calendars for her iPhone. You will then have the push feature for both of your calendars.

I'm having a weird occurrence where I now get "From My Mac" calendars and "Mobile Me". I would love to disable the From My Mac and only have Mobile Me or at least have Mobile Me calendars come up on top--otherwise I sometimes put new events in the On My Mac :/

Hope that helps...

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
I guess I should have explained a little better...
On your wife's phone, go to Settings-->Mail,Contacts,Calendars-->Accounts (MobileMe), and only turn on Calendars. I also use the Find My iPhone...it's awesome :)

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I guess I should have explained a little better...
On your wife's phone, go to Settings-->Mail,Contacts,Calendars-->Accounts (MobileMe), and only turn on Calendars. I also use the Find My iPhone...it's awesome :)
Thanks Nate, but that is part of my problem. Since my wife does not have MobileMe, that option is missing under Mail,Contacts,Calender>Accounts. I guess that's why we aren't getting each other's calendar entries because only one of us has MobileMe which was the reason for my original post.

Thank you for your help!

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Hey, my wife doesn't have a MobileMe account either. I put my MM account into her iPhone & ONLY set up calendars.
BTW, Find My iPhone feature finds both of our iPhones with only 1 MM account :)

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Hey, my wife doesn't have a MobileMe account either. I put my MM account into her iPhone & ONLY set up calendars.
BTW, Find My iPhone feature finds both of our iPhones with only 1 MM account :)
Really? so you put your MM on her phone, and only check calendar so that she doesn't get all your mail and other stuff too? Sweet!

When each of you make a calendar entry on your iPhone, it's pushed to the other one's iPhone? Are you notified in any way that she has made a new calendar entry or is it just up to you to notice that it's there?

wilddash

Jun 21, 2009
calendars

Hello:

Answers to two Questions:

If you sync iPhone with your computer and mobile me you must uncheck calendars and contacts in iTunes. Otherwise you WILL get duplicates of those two.

When you subscribe to others calendars they will show up on your computers only. Subscribed calendars do not sync with mobile me.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Really? so you put your MM on her phone, and only check calendar so that she doesn't get all your mail and other stuff too? Sweet!

When each of you make a calendar entry on your iPhone, it's pushed to the other one's iPhone? Are you notified in any way that she has made a new calendar entry or is it just up to you to notice that it's there?
Yes, she puts something on her iPhone or her iBook and it gets pushed to my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

It's great! Unfortunately, I get so many vibrate notifications, I haven't noticed. I'll have to test it out later :)

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Hello:

Answers to two Questions:

If you sync iPhone with your computer and mobile me you must uncheck calendars and contacts in iTunes. Otherwise you WILL get duplicates of those two.

When you subscribe to others calendars they will show up on your computers only. Subscribed calendars do not sync with mobile me.
LOL, thanks! It's funny, I managed to figure that out last night right before I went to bed and played the Vampires Live app(very addictive)!
Thank you for the post, I appreciate it!