MobileMe: startup date is July 9th at 6:00 PM.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Last night, Apple updated the .Mac status page with a message revealing the date/time of the switch from .Mac to MobileMe. Tomorrow, July 9th from 6 PM to 12 AM, the move will be made for you. Apple says that during the switch, you will be"unable to access www.mac.com or any .Mac services ... with the exception of .Mac Mail accessed via a desktop application, iPhone, or iPod touch."

Also, the App Store is down this morning, and it's Tuesday. Possibly the addition of MobileMe boxes, ready to ship?

- John

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
Saw that this morning when I logged into my .mac account. Wonder if 2.0 will launch with it?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Well, I don't anticipate it will LAUNCH at 6pm, but .mac servers will go offline to begin the server transition. And their nice disclaimer there states it will be up when it's up. So in reality, if there are no problems, MobileMe could be online as early as midnight Pacific...but they should take their time and get it right.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Saw that this morning when I logged into my .mac account. Wonder if 2.0 will launch with it?
No. Apple has confirmed that the 2.0 software will be available on the 11th, along with iPhone 3G.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, I don't anticipate it will LAUNCH at 6pm, but .mac servers will go offline to begin the server transition. And their nice disclaimer there states it will be up when it's up. So in reality, if there are no problems, MobileMe could be online as early as midnight Pacific...but they should take their time and get it right.
Right, the 6 - 12 time is just transitions. I've ordered MobileMe, and I still don't have my box, so who knows when I'll be using it.

- John

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
No. Apple has confirmed that the 2.0 software will be available on the 11th, along with iPhone 3G.

- John
Actually, just found this on the Apple website....
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932
Interesting part:

What will I need for my iPhone or iPod touch to use MobileMe?
You will need to update to software version 2.0 or later to enable push mail, push contacts, push calendar, and push bookmarks. This software update will be available when MobileMe launches.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
That's 12pm here in the Uk, folks :D, so I'll have a while to play with it, since i've finished school for the summer now.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
even if mobile me is ready, we cant use it till we get 2.0 and the new iTunes right?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Actually, just found this on the Apple website....
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932
Interesting part:

What will I need for my iPhone or iPod touch to use MobileMe?
You will need to update to software version 2.0 or later to enable push mail, push contacts, push calendar, and push bookmarks. This software update will be available when MobileMe launches.
That's interesting. So either to 2.0 software will come tomorrow night or tomorrow night is only server transitions and the actual service will launch on the 11th.

- John

stewcp

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol, UK
The 'Push' side of MobileMe is already working... I have Beta8 installed and noticed that it does indeed receive mail instantly... the only thing I'm not happy with is my poor battery life since the 'Push' was activated - to say its poor is an understatement! :(

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
The 'Push' side of MobileMe is already working... I have Beta8 installed and noticed that it does indeed receive mail instantly... the only thing I'm not happy with is my poor battery life since the 'Push' was activated - to say its poor is an understatement! :(
Why? If anything it should have increased?!?!

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Apple have underestimated everything today lol. The amount of iPhone 3Gs needed in the UK, the app store demand, and the mobileme demand haha. Their servers are really struggling :s.