MobileShare 10GB vs. Unlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by EverythingApple, Sep 14, 2014.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I have the unlimited data plan and my wife has the 300MB plan. She hardly uses LTE. I approach 5GB every month, and got the throttled text message last month. I've been monitoring my usage so I don't go over 5GB.

Should I change to the 10GB MobileShare plan? I

If I do, I'll upgrade with AT&T Next and save the $25 per line.

Please comment. Thanks.

2. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

That's what my wife and I did I have up my unlimited a while back but it's worked out better for us. Were actually saving money. Just remember when you do the next you'll add the monthly installment cost to you plan.

Plus your wife could use more data if she wanted to and you still would t have to worry about overages

3. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Plus at the moment are you paying an extra $$ for texting or is it included ?

4. EverythingApple

Gold

I'm paying $15/mo for texting, but currently, I'm paying $125/mo for my plan with fees included. With Next and MobileShare 10GB, it would be approx. $160/mo.

5. applejosh

applejosh Member
    Bronze

This is something I'm considering. Both my wife and I have unlimited data plans and shared 1400 min/unlimited txt. I think I've gone over 2GB once in my history (dating back 4 years), and my wife has crossed 1GB once or twice. I figure with a 10GB plan, we'd both be fine for the foreseeable future, and we'd have the ability to use the hotspot feature if necessary. She's out of contract, and I just enrolled in Next. So even then we'll be saving money ($130 + 35 Next) versus $190. But the unlimited (which is throttled at 3/5GB anyway) is almost a badge of honor and I'd be sad to see it go away. So for now I'm not changing anything, but I see a decision needing to be made before the end of the year, if only for saving money.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Does that $160 per month include equipment charges and the taxes?

7. EverythingApple

Gold

100 plan -15% = $85 + $15 equip charge + $15 equip charge + 27-32 Next charge + 15.62 (14.45% Fees) = 150-160/mo. Does not include taxes.

8. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

I get. 28% discount one iphone 6 64 one iPhone 6+ 64gb on the next plan 15 a month for beats music ( the wife loves it ) 10gb share plan my bill with taxes is gonna be about $214

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The figures Verizon gave me on the EDGE plan came to $314 a month for 4 lines with a 5s. I pay $247 a month on the More Everything Plan. I think the carriers have confused us for a reason. It seems everyone has it figured differently. There's just things I don't trust about those NEXT/EDGE plans. It's good for those who can't afford to buy a phone any other way. But I can afford the More Everything Plan. Maybe not the 128 gb iP 6 Plus. But the 64 gb model I can barely swing in January. I don't need more space than that. But comparing these plans is as confusing as comparing health insurance plans. So I'll just stay put.

10. EverythingApple

Gold

I bit the bullet and dumped my Family Talk 550 with unlimited data for the MobileShare 10GB plan. I'll be only paying $5 more. It really wasn't unlimited since they throttle at 5GB. Now I have to upgrade to any phone with Next to keep my $25 discount per line. I'm ok with that.

#10 EverythingApple, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

This is the same plan I had with AT&T. I dumped it when I was told that I could save money, but that ended up not being the case. Once I update my iPhone to the 6 Plus that $15 fee will go up to $40 and when my hubby upgrades his iPhone then his $15 fee will go up to $40.

Below is a snipit from a Thread where this was discussed.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/upgrade-eligibility-for-iphone-6.106400/page-9#post-1065321

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Sharunda, why not just go with the Next program instead of partial subsidy? It's a way better deal.

13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Oh Good Question. Below is a snipit from where this was discussed. After the numbers were crunched, it turns out that it wouldn't be beneficial for me. The price of the iPhone ends up being more than retail. AT&T is gangster with there's and I've got to tap out.

In case there is no indication, the below conversation was about the NEXT Program.

All the quotes below are from this thread:
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/upgrade-eligibility-for-iphone-6.106400/page-10#post-1065352

14. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I second this. Depending on the size of the phone, the savings may vary, but over the two years of NEXT payments, you will save about 200-300 dollars compared to upgrading using the subsidized costs. Someone laid out the specifics cost wise in a separate thread, but I'm not sure which thread it was.

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Read the above answer. Let me know what you think of the numbers crunch we did. Unless it's all wrong, the Next Program is not for me. The cost is too high. I'd rather pay and be done with it.

16. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

With the Next plan, when you upgrade your phone, do you have to give it back to AT&T? If so, is it worth any trade-in value?

17. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

If you do it at 12 months, then yes, you give back the phone, or else you pay off the remaining payments. It's up to you. You don't get any "trade-in" for it, since by only having made 12 payments so far, you really haven't paid the full price of the phone, so you have essentially not paid off the subsidy you would have by purchasing a phone on a contract with a 2 year contract and paying a higher rate.

There's no doubt it's pretty convoluted, but if you sit down and figure out out, it may or may not be a better deal.

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Yup, it goes back to AT&T. I don't think they give you a trade in value on it if you're still paying on it on the NEXT Program with an 18 or 24 month agreement. I know you can upgrade in 12 months but if you didn't pay in 12 months then more than likely they don't give you a trade in price for the iPhone.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have the choice of trading it in or keeping it. It has to be paid off if you want to keep it when you upgrade. It has value but not a lot more than the payoff amount. You pay it off and sell it for maybe $100 more or just treat it as if you sold to Gazelle for less than the actual value for convenience.

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm not sure what numbers you were crunching, but a partial subsidy is roughly $250 discount, but you also have to pay a $40 upgrade fee, which reduces your discount to ~$210. THEN you have to pay an extra $25 per month for 24 months as part of the new contract you sign, which amounts to $600. So in the end, you're paying ~$390 more with a partial subsidy than you would with next.