Mobilesubstrate Fix (Temp until official Pkg)

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by iphonewarrior, Dec 28, 2013.

1. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Important notice: This fix is no longer required as Saurik has pushed an official Cydia Substrate today (31st December).

Read an article over at Redmondpie here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-fix-mobilesubstrate-tweaks-on-ios-7-without-any-side-effects/

Apparently Saurik has said that this is ok? I'm going to try it out and see how I get on. You'll need to add an additional repo and then apply the patch.

Repo: parrotgeek.net/repo
    Package: Mobile Substrate Fix v1.2

Note: This doe not work for A7 devices. Yet.

Edit: non-A7 devices means it doesn't work with 64-bit architecture i.e iPhone 5s.

#1 iphonewarrior, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I read this morning that Saurik said that using these unofficial "bootstraps," were dangerous. Apparently he looked at code in some of these fixes and didn't like what he saw. I'll try to find the link when I have more time.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I agree with what you're saying but by all accounts this fix is safe. Although Saurik does go on to say that it's pointless to install as a genuine substrate will be released in the coming days. I think this is more for the impatient people out there :)

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

By all accounts this fix is safe? That's not true. They are dangerous. I highly recommend staying away from these patches and being patient. Saurik is working on mobile substrate and it should be available soon.
    http://modmyi.com/content/13210-saurik-warns-against-use-third-party-mobile-substate-patches-ios-7-64-bit.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=gplus

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=37107

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Europa, Saurik himself said that this particular fix was safe. I don't know what more evidence you need.

As I said in my previous post, Saurik did go on to say that it was pointless installing it as he would be sending out a new one himself. I've had it on my iPhone 5 most of today and it's working fine. No crashes. This isn't for 64-bit devices either, 32-bit only.

Forgive me for being blunt, but it's been fine, no need to panic people :p

6. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

This new fix, “Mobile Substrate Fix”, should work fine according to Saurik because it follows this method. He does still suggest simply waiting for his official update to Mobile Substrate.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was just reading that Saurik said mobile substrate patches weren't safe. Disregard my post if this particular one is. I'm waiting for mobile substrate as he suggested.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Safe or not, it's funny and frustrating to watch all the newbie jailbreakers who don't know a jailbreak from a chocolate milkshake posting threads (not so much here) about their phones being stuck in a boot loop or other such nonsense.

They should bring back the original 74-step jailbreak. That would separate the wheat from the chaff. :D

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Remember ZiPhone? That was a terrible app. Worked, but made me incredibly anxious when the jailbreak was taking place.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I remember them all. Jailbreaking software has come a long way.