Mod help for 1.0.1 - Few Q's for the Pros

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hi, I've read oh about 10 different pages on getting my iPhone ready to mod, but there are still a few blanks I'd like to fill in before I finally take the plunge.

I've got more than one question, so I'm going to number them :p

1. I'm on 1.0.1 and I've read "The first 10 steps" and setup my Modding folder accordingly with the 1.0.0 restore files (98 megs). Does Jailbreak downgrade my iPhone to 1.0.0 now?

2. If I am downgraded to 1.0.0, how do I upgrade back to 1.0.1? I've looked at the Princess' thread on How to Update after Modding, and she says to do it through iTunes. Will this run me through the activation process again with the AT&T window in iTunes? I would just be transferring my existing number aye?

3. The purpose of the downgrade is to Jailbreak from the sandbox, and once out of Jail I'll stay out even after I update back to 1.0.1 ?

#3 is what I'm unsure about, especially since I'm not clear on how to get to 1.0.1 once I've gone back to 1.0.0 to get out of Jail. My assumption is that using iTunes to get back to 1.0.1 would blow out any changes I've made anyway, but I'm really hoping that's not the case.

I NEED PACMAN ON MY iPhone.

I carry pacman on me wherever I go, i'm a lifer. I've dumped my other gadgets since getting the iPhone as it can do what the do, only better and in one device. The problem is, they can play pacman, my iPhone can't yet.

I've got pacman fever and it's driving me crazy. All this work, just for NES->pacman. Yeah, sad I know, but its PACMAN!

Thanks in advance!

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
don't sweat it....

1. after the file is present fo 1.0.0. unzip the upgrade file in the phonedmg directory. Now phone and computer the same. Voila.

2. No downgrading dude, do step 1 above. After jailbreak, iTunes sync still works as before.

3. You jailbreak once, after you have unzipped the 101 upgrade into phonedmg directory.

You are a long ways from running NES as you will need SSH installed after this and then a bunch of steps to get NES on the iPhone. good luck!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

1. after the file is present fo 1.0.0. unzip the upgrade file in the phonedmg directory. Now phone and computer the same. Voila.

2. No downgrading dude, do step 1 above. After jailbreak, iTunes sync still works as before.

3. You jailbreak once, after you have unzipped the 101 upgrade into phonedmg directory.

You are a long ways from running NES as you will need SSH installed after this and then a bunch of steps to get NES on the iPhone. good luck!
So if I understand you correctly, I just need to extract the 1.0.0 files int my modding folder first. Then extract the 1.0.1 files over them, and wrap that up by running jailbreak as my final step?

Thanks for your response

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
So if I understand you correctly, I just need to extract the 1.0.0 files int my modding folder first. Then extract the 1.0.1 files over them, and wrap that up by running jailbreak as my final step?

Thanks for your response
No, that's not correct.

Follow the steps EXACTLY as they are listed in this guide. http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_first_ten_steps_to_modding_windows.html
The screenshots will help you.

Since there has been an update. Assuming you've updated your iPhone, "STEP 6" in the guide link listed above will be slightly different. The update file name wil be "iPhone1,1_1.0.1_1C25_Restore.ipsw".

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thank you, I've gotten to where I'm at now by following the instructions in your thread also in this forum.

I thought I had to be in 1.0.0 for Jailbreak to work, which is why I'm confused and thought I had to downgrade first.

Now I need to locate this new file you mentioned and make a new modding folder. I'm on a new computer, different from the one I originally updated on, so I don't have have access to that file after it was downloaded anymore. If I try to update my iPhone it says I'm already current.

Edit-

Okay, I've located the updated ipsw from hacktheiPhone. I'm going to make a new modding folder, then give Jailbreak a go, correct?

/crosses fingers

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Thank you, I've gotten to where I'm at now by following the instructions in your thread also in this forum.

I thought I had to be in 1.0.0 for Jailbreak to work, which is why I'm confused and thought I had to downgrade first.

Now I need to locate this new file you mentioned and make a new modding folder. I'm on a new computer, different from the one I originally updated on, so I don't have have access to that file after it was downloaded anymore. If I try to update my iPhone it says I'm already current.

Edit-

Okay, I've located the updated ipsw from hacktheiPhone. I'm going to make a new modding folder, then give Jailbreak a go, correct?

/crosses fingers
That's correct. Don't forget to rename the update file to ".zip" format and extract the contents to your modding folder.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thank you, I'm about to give it a go, followed by the SSH install, and wrapped up with an NES install.

I've got the instructions and files already set for the following steps, I just wanted to be as clear as I could on the whole jailbreak thing.

I'm about to give this a go, I'll post my results...

/nervous

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well, it got to this point:

Sending more files to iPhone...
booting iPhone...

but it's been there for a few minutes now and no change :T

my iPhone screen shows the yellow triangle for recovery mode.

-edit

Whoops, forgot to do the first step with iTunes and it starting the recovery process. :p Doin that now.

-edit 2

Bleh, that didn't work. It's still hanging at "Sending More Files"

Oh well, it was worth a shot, thanks for your help, but I'm gonna leave this be for now, heh.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Im at the same spot. Im going to dedicate my morning to fixing it.
Success!

Here's the missing link:

Step 5

unzip or unrar all those files and extract them into the C:\phonedmg folder
to do this do the following:
1. right click on a file ending in .rar or .zip
2. click on extract here

Repeat the above steps for the following files (IN ORDER)
  • iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.zip
  • iPhone1,1_1.0.1_1C25_Restore.zip (if you downloaded it) NOTE: Click Yes to all when asked if you want to replace existing files.)
  • jailbreak11.zip
After I had unzipped accordingly, it finally transferred the files without a hitch.

Thanks to all who helped!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Last edited by a moderator: