Modded 1/4" headphone plug

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
I plug the iPhone into my car stereo and my speakers at work using a 1/4" cable in the headphone jack. The iPhone's jack is so deep-set that the plastic casing on my cords wouldn't fit in there, so I use a knife to cut away a bit of the plastic. Now I can fit the wire in there and it works just fine... is there any risk to the iPhone from doing this? Did they make the jack useless for standard plugs for a reason?

Drew

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
I plug the iPhone into my car stereo and my speakers at work using a 1/4" cable in the headphone jack. The iPhone's jack is so deep-set that the plastic casing on my cords wouldn't fit in there, so I use a knife to cut away a bit of the plastic. Now I can fit the wire in there and it works just fine... is there any risk to the iPhone from doing this? Did they make the jack useless for standard plugs for a reason?

Drew
check this adapter out:

iPhone adapter

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

Drew
I heard the recessed design kept the phone sleek and thin, and prevented design issues. There should be no harm in what you did.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, I'd seen the adapters... I figured I'd save a few bucks. :) I just didn't know if there was something special about the jack that they decided to discourage people from using regular plugs in it. Thanks!

Brandon!

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
It didn't seem like a waste of $9. Saves me from having to do any possible damage
to my only set of earbuds and now I can use it with other accessories I have

Jul 28, 2007
i have a free way of plugging your iPhone into your car..

the dock that comes with the iPhone has an aux out in the back of it.. your set.. just bring the dock in the car with you and your good... just plug the aux out, radio transmiter, or that tape thing into it and its all good

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I shaved a little bit off my ear bud head phones and they worked just fine except I found that they were broken in just one earvqhich angers me cause u cant stand the Apple head phones.

Jul 30, 2007
i just took my cheap headphone splitter i had and shaved the bulk from around the end of it and it works fine