Modded my iPhone; Easy as pie

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
so im writing my experience (and hands- on) in modding my iPhone. However, im doing so on my iPhone and am limited to not providing links........ Must.......hack........through.........limitations.......

So, onto hacking the booger:

I started by reading "the 10 steps to begin" - sounds like the 10 steps to recovery.

In reading the steps and following directions, i was able to change all icons successfuly. I didn't modify the ringtones as im very happu to have the RT Apple provided - besides, i read somewhere that non-iphone owners are working really hard to obtain our RT! LOL

Anyhoot, after successfuly modding my iPhone, later that day i wanted to continue using iPhoneinterface to tinker in other areas. Well, turns out I get the error message that there is a problem.... I begin to panic as I start thinking how I may not have followed instructions correctly. So I try running jailbreak to see if this will miraculously fix it. It doesn't. I find no solution except to use iTunes to restore.

Here's where it gets interesting (nail biting).... You know that yellow triangle that comes up to connect with iTunes? Well, it stays there and doesn't respond...so I do the obvious (at least for me). I power down the iPhone and power up again. Nothing. Still not communicating with iTunes..... Then I have the worst thought and act on it. Let me disconnect from iTunes and power up to see what happens? Holy sugar! Its not coming up. I screwed up my iPhone! Aaaaggghhhhhh!

So after few moments of panic - I entered my zen - holding back my tears ....

What I told my self at this point (and take notes) is "I screwed up major - can't go further but a visit to the Apple store" let me troublehoot

And so I did.

I performed a combination of techniques:

Ran iTunes restore
disconnected unit
ran jailbreak
ran restore
disconnected and reconnected unit

After sometime I got my phone working again

side note: the plane is taking off so I'll continue later

In the end I was able to mod myiPhone successfuly and overcame the fear of bricking my unit

The end - and the beginning :)

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
haha I am sure you are not the only one who has felt that fear. And to add to that fear you gotta think if they give you a new phone are you going to get the new LCD screen or the original!

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks a bunch for posting this, but I am still afraid to mod this phone even though I am dying inside to. I did all the steps of the 10 and got to the part where jailbreak interacts with your phone, but stopped before it started. This sucks because I want ringtones so bad!

qryptiq

Jul 21, 2007
it's not that serious. Reheheally....it just isn't ....

I modded my car the first year i got it. Brand new. i ripped out the radio dash and put a computer in there. i made so many mistakes i can seriously say i wouldn't do it again. But truth is, i would. I learned a lot - especially the part about courage to tear open a brand new car.

...again.....it wasn't that serious. LOL