modding multiple iPhones

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I have successfuly modded 1 iPhone. I need to mod my wifes iPhone. Do I need to make a new phonedmg directory different from the one I created for my iPhone? I assume I need to simply do jailbreak once on the the phone and I am off and running with both. The directories do not look like they changed after I modded my iPhone - the directories and files in the phonedmg directory. Anyone who has actually done this I would appreciate some pointers from. Thanks.

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I have successfuly modded 1 iPhone. I need to mod my wifes iPhone. Do I need to make a new phonedmg directory different from the one I created for my iPhone? I assume I need to simply do jailbreak once on the the phone and I am off and running with both. The directories do not look like they changed after I modded my iPhone - the directories and files in the phonedmg directory. Anyone who has actually done this I would appreciate some pointers from. Thanks.

I've successfuly modded my phone and my husband's phone. I created two different users on my computer along with two different phonedmg files for each user. The reason is we have 2 separate calendars, contacts, etc. If you don't mind having her contacts, calendar etc on your phone or don't use this feature at all when you sync up to iTunes, you can do it with the same phone dmg file. Hope that helps.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I created 2 phonedmg folders. However the second phone will not porperly finish the jailbreak application. The second phone does seem to finish loading as the circle finishes on the iPhone display and the phone reboots to come up working, but jailbreak seems to hang on booting iPhone message. I have a few other things to try. My first phone still allows Manzana to run and allows me to change things. But running Manzana on the second phone will crash Manzana. So, I am assuming, jailbreak is not completing its one time task. Yes, have rebooted, removed processes from taskmanager, etc. The second phone is a bit tricky.

I got all my syncs to work just fine in iTunes. We only have a common calendar but we each have our own contacts, music, videos, etc. I am using Windows XP and only one account on the computer.

Thanks for the info....still searching for the answer.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Yes! I got the second iPhone broken out of jail. Those of you with jailbreak problems and with a Windows system:

1. Turn OFF the computer and turn it back on.
2. Connect up the phone to the computer.
3. Run iTunes - yep - run iTunes.
4. Sync your phone to iTunes.
5. Exit iTunes.
6. Open taskmanager and remove 3 processes: iTuneshelper, ipodservice and Applemobiledevice.
7. Hold top iPhone button and Home button until the triangle screen appears on the iPhone.
8. Verify none of those services in #6 reappear - remove if they do.
9. My machine comes up and asks what app to connect to this new piece of hardware. Cancel out of this.
10. Go to the command line, RUN: cmd, move into the phonedmg directory and run jailbreak.
11. Jailbreak should fly through to loading and finishing, but it MAY ask you to do the top button/home button thing again. Do it if it asks AND it sits on the asking text.
12. You will not have to do this again on this phone. You can run Manzana from now on to copy new icons into their directories.

I am not sure if 2 phonedmg directories are really required to manage jailbreak and Manzana. But I have that. It takes up an extra 100M of space, but it works for both of my iPhones. I would be interested to hear if anyone indicates that they use one phonedmg directory and all my problems were simply the top twelve steps.

Odd questions:

Why is the directory named "phonedmg" - phone damage?
Why did Apple make such a simple design for its icons?
Why would the designers make all the icon files the same name?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Yes! I got the second iPhone broken out of jail. Those of you with jailbreak problems and with a Windows system:

1. Turn OFF the computer and turn it back on.
2. Connect up the phone to the computer.
3. Run iTunes - yep - run iTunes.
4. Sync your phone to iTunes.
5. Exit iTunes.
6. Open taskmanager and remove 3 processes: iTuneshelper, ipodservice and Applemobiledevice.
7. Hold top iPhone button and Home button until the triangle screen appears on the iPhone.
8. Verify none of those services in #6 reappear - remove if they do.
9. My machine comes up and asks what app to connect to this new piece of hardware. Cancel out of this.
10. Go to the command line, RUN: cmd, move into the phonedmg directory and run jailbreak.
11. Jailbreak should fly through to loading and finishing, but it MAY ask you to do the top button/home button thing again. Do it if it asks AND it sits on the asking text.
12. You will not have to do this again on this phone. You can run Manzana from now on to copy new icons into their directories.

I am not sure if 2 phonedmg directories are really required to manage jailbreak and Manzana. But I have that. It takes up an extra 100M of space, but it works for both of my iPhones. I would be interested to hear if anyone indicates that they use one phonedmg directory and all my problems were simply the top twelve steps.

Odd questions:

As far as the modding goes, if you wanted both phones to have the same mods and use the same icons, then you could use just one "modding folder". But if you're using different icons on the second phone, you'd probably want to use a separate folder as the new icons would overwrite the old ones in your "modding folder".

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Thanks! I did just that - made two directories. And I can now mod to my hearts content each phone. And I am patiently waiting for your slick personal logos, Princess! Appreciate your design work.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Thanks! I did just that - made two directories. And I can now mod to my hearts content each phone. And I am patiently waiting for your slick personal logos, Princess! Appreciate your design work.
Thanks. I'm glad you got everything working. Check the pickup thread for the logo's!

JoBLiN

Jul 23, 2007
Odd questions:

1. On macs executable files to install apps are called .dmg instead of .exe's like in Windows. dmg = disk image so it is phone disk image I'm assuming.

2. Apple is into simple design I think... it's like their thing.

3. I'm not totally sure why they would do that but seeing as how they are all in different directories it is probably easy to direct the phone to a standard location, icon.png, as the homepage icon in each of those folders among all the files needed to actually run the applications.

bigyack

Aug 7, 2007
thanks

1. On macs executable files to install apps are called .dmg instead of .exe's like in Windows. dmg = disk image so it is phone disk image I'm assuming.

2. Apple is into simple design I think... it's like their thing.

3. I'm not totally sure why they would do that but seeing as how they are all in different directories it is probably easy to direct the phone to a standard location, icon.png, as the homepage icon in each of those folders among all the files needed to actually run the applications.
First off let me say thanks, because if it weren't for people like you I would be stuck with Apples stupid ringtones. I was able to mod my phone and put ringtones on it the first time. I want to try wall paper and other things, but I am still a little confused (it doesn't take much). Now I have recently updated my phone, and am having problems with jailbreak. It is getting stuck at the rebooting phone. I read your guid and have done it to the t, but it still isn't working. I have deleted everytghing including jail break and reinstalled (modding the new update) but still nothing. I have noticed that when I leave the system tray up the AppleMobileDevice keeps re apearing every minute or so and when I close it my computer makes the sound like it does when something new is plugged in, but it doesn't ask me anything. I close it and it opens agian in a minute. I know that this is a lot, but I wanted to explain everything. Thanks for any help you can give me.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
My steps to preparing phonedmg for a PC:

Create a directory called “phonedmg” at the root of C: drive.

Get the 1.0 release of iPhone software. You will need to get this from a download and you get a link to this file here: http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_iphone_modding_101 This is a big file, 10MB+. You will need to change this files name to have an extension of “.zip”. Then extract the file into c:\phonedmg directory.

You will need to place the latest updates also into this directory and these should reside on your computer. Currently at this writing there is only one. You can find this update on your computer here:
%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
You will need to change this files name to have an extension of “.zip”. Then extract this file into the c:\phonedmg directory.

Download jailbreak, at least version 1.1. You can get a link to this found in step 2. Extract this into the c:\phonedmg directory.

Download Manzana. You can find a link here:
Extract these files into the c:\phonedmg directory

Find the file iTunesMobileDevice.DLL on your computer and copy it into the directory c:\phonedmg. You can get a link to it in step 2 if you can not find it.

This is a complete working directory for modding your iPhone. IF you wish to mod more than one iPhone you need to make an new one of these steps 1-6 for each phone to mod.

Last edited by a moderator: