Modding my phone. advice?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
So, I know how to mod my phone through ibricker. I'm pretty certain I can do it no problem. But, what are the risks? Does modding your phone void your warranty? My mom bought me an Apple care plan extended warranty for my birthday, and I would hate for it to go to waste because I modded my phone.

How about long term risks? Does anyone know of any long term damage it could have on your phone? The reason I ask this question is because a few years ago I had an iPod, and intstalled ourtunes to my computer. Ourtunes is a college network system where you can download music from other peoples computers in your college dorm. All of us in the dorms had it. Not long after I started downloading music, I began to have problems with my Ipod, and within a month it was fried. It wouldn't even turn on, AND Apple wouldn't replace it. Should I be concerned with something like this happening again?

And finally, if I do end up screwing up my phone, or even worse bricking my phone, how easy is it to restore your phone back to factory settings and it still being ok?

if any one can answer any of these questions I'd really really appreciated it. Thanks!

zenazazel

Sep 12, 2007
don't USE IBRICKER, I REPEAT, don't USE IBRICKER!
if you have updated to iTunes. 7.4 don't use it or youll be doomed ;) not really but what happens is that ibricker uses an old version of jailbreak and if you install it on your iPhone and then connect it to iTunes 7.4 your phone will go into a endless restart loop. the screen goes black and the damn thing just restarts itself endlessly. Juts happen to me a couple of days ago.

If you still have iTunes 7.3 and don't plan to update then you can use ibricker, however I recommend modding your iPhone using AppTapp it uses a new version of jailbreak so nothing will hapen to your iPhone wheter you have iTunes 7.3 or 7.4 I use it and it works like a charm. here's the link.

http://www.nullriver.com/~adam/AppTappInstaller.exe

btw apptapp will automatically put installer.app on your iPhone.

just rememeber that modding your iPhone is harmless and fun. whatever may happen to your phone that you think its weird, just restore it. Restore will set the iPhone to factory settings and erase everything inside but since iTunes always saves a backup of your contacts you wont lose that ;)
don't worry about breaking the warranty if you restore theres no way no one will ever know your ever had modded your phone ;)

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
thanks a lot man, thats a lot of help. i'll definitely seriously consider it now.

so does apptapp work with PC? i don't have a mac. its been working well for you?

duckcall

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
yes but what exactly does it do? i have read so much about this but understood very little. im just looking to throw some NES games on there and maybe change some icons.