Modular Cell Phones?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This is just a concept, but I had a friend on Facebook tell me I want to wait on that new iPhone. I don't think so.

It's an admirable concept, but I think there are many problems to overcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
This is just a concept, but I had a friend on Facebook tell me I want to wait on that new iPhone. I don't think so.

It's an admirable concept, but I think there are many problems to overcome.
That's very neat! I remember discussing a somewhat similar concept here some time ago. I think this is a concept that should be seriously considered. That and beyond wearables; implants!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I watched that a couple of days ago and realized it may be nothing more than a dream. Do you really think Apple, Samsung and other companies would basically give up their profit in order to invest in something like that with other competitors? Not a smart idea if you think about it from a capitalistic perspective.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I watched that a couple of days ago and realized it may be nothing more than a dream. Do you really think Apple, Samsung and other companies would basically give up their profit in order to invest in something like that with other competitors? Not a smart idea if you think about it from a capitalistic perspective.
You'd have to sell a boatload of these to make the modular replacement idea financially viable. Also, the modular idea (not with phones) has been floated before and it was decided that it was more profitable to sell the whole unit. The intentions are good; I just don't believe that they would sell enough of these to make an impact. Don't forget that there is big competition out there (with millions of loyal product fans) and they won't be standing still.