"Moisture" Damage

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
The iPhone isn't as sensitive as I originally thought. I have dropped both my iPhones, original and 3G, and other than some cosmetic no problems. The moisture on the other hand I really believe is a load of crap. First, there are two sensors, Blackberry has one, and it is behind the battery, so you REALLY have to get it wet to set it off. iPhone on the other hand, both sensors "exposed" in areas we use all the time...the earphone connector and the dock connector. I would be curious how many users here have "moisture" damage according to the sensors. I love the iPhone, and will continue to love it, but I really think that this is just a way to make sure the returns stay down. From what I have been told by the Genius'es at Towson Mall Apple store, not even an Apple Care warranty will cover that...the only thing you can hope is that it happens inside of 30 days and you can just return it I guess.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
BTW, yes I have "moisture" damage in the dock connector

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
From what I have been told by the Genius'es at Towson Mall Apple store, not even an Apple Care warranty will cover that...the only thing you can hope is that it happens inside of 30 days and you can just return it I guess.
It is correct that Apple Care won't cover water damage. If you get water damage inside the 30 day, it still won't be covered as this voids the warranty.

Conv5

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Lubbock, Texas
It is true that is why they put the sensors right out in the open, so they won't have to deal with it when it happens.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I have had my 3g since shortly after they came out. I have a Vaja case and am not the most careful person where my phone is concerned. The case doesn't protect any of the ports. At home it is frequently out of the case and exposed to what ever I am doing and I am known in my coffee group as 'splash'. None of the indicators have been triggered. One thing Apple's policy regarding water damage has done is make iPhone owners careful/paranoid about exposing their iPhone to moisture. The iPhone being a hand held device is far more exposed to hazards of all types but especially water. Of course they want to limit their exposure to water damaged iPhones, if not their warranty costs would be higher and that would be reflected in an increase in the price of the phone.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I used the excellent guides on youtube (mostly for battery replacement) which got me as far as removing the motherboard then I took out the speaker/dock/microphone housing where you'll find the moisture detector adhered to the metal dock part. I removed the sticker, put a tiny piece of white paper over the pink and replaced it. Hey presto, all ready for the Genius Bar and a replacement iPhone, no problemo (I also had the Apple logo of death going on, so it was good that there was no pink detector showing or no exchange) BTW it had never been exposed to true water damage, just in a sweaty pocket while skiing and IMHO that does not constitute water damage and agree that these detectors are located in areas that are far too exposed to day to day dampness.
PS there are also two circular water detectors stuck to the motherboard inside which Apple could see if it really had been dunked in water but the stores don't open iPhones.

mramay

Bronze
Apr 24, 2009
Las Vegas!
In a preemptive strike mode, how hard is it to take the 3G apart to get to all the water sensors and what do you think would happen if a touch of clear nail polish or clear automotive touch-up paint was put on the sensors? Would they trip on the clear coat since it's not water? That would essentially eliminate the "sweaty pocket" water problem.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
it is no biggy stripping down an iPhone if you are technical minded and careful but I wouldn't do it prophylactically because you would void the warranty for anything other than the sensors becoming damp. There is a small 'do not remove' sticker over one screw inside that voids the warranty when removed. The sticker can be folded back but takes a lot of care to do. I touched mine up with a marker pen so it looked like new. For future sweaty pocket adventures I will be keeping mine in a sealed polythene bag.
Doesn't get very damp in Nevada does it? :)

mramay

Bronze
Apr 24, 2009
Las Vegas!
We average 7" of rain a year, which is part of the reason I'm here in Vegas. The other two reasons are The Strip, 10 miles away, and it doesn't snow. Supposed to be nice today - 92F & 10% humidity.

My son is a sweaty type and if some clear varnish/lacquer will minimize "water damage", he can take his (& mine) iPhone apart to ensure the problem doesn't occur, if y'all think this will work.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not worth the risk IMO. I've never heard of that working and doing so would void your warranty. You may never have water damage anyway. A water damaged phone only costs $200 to replace, whereas it's full cost ($500) to replace a phone with a voided warranty.

Love Vegas BTW, I'm an hour and a half away and go there as much as I can.

dirt_mover3g

Bronze
Nov 3, 2008
I've heard of someone using a paper clip and a bit of liquid paper white out to carefuly white out the pink spot on the sensor in the headphone jack. He ended up taking it in to the genius bar and exchanging it for a new one.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
It just seems that it is a cheap way out for Apple, I saw someone else post that the mute switch came off and they checked for water damage. It supports my theory not to buy extended warranties on anything except for used cars and Big Screen TV's...yes, they have both paid for themselves. But, all that said, I still love the iPhone, I tried to go back to my BB Curve a few weeks ago, and well I couldn't see past my guilt of thinking of leaving my iPhone.

Joe T

Aug 30, 2009
Moisture Death

Within three weeks, my wife and I have had two iPhones die from moisture-related deaths. We treat our phones like babies, so there was no way we got them wet. If the sensors turn red because of anything other than being dropped into a bucket of water or similar fate, I can only conclude that moisture death is a product deficiency which Apple is fully aware of. I'm not well-versed when it comes to electronics, but I don't know of any other device that has a built-in part that turns color when it is exposed to "moisture", which seems to be a broadly defined term aimed at defending Apple from the thousands of people who have had this problem. I forked up the $200 for a new iPhone after taking the first dead phone to the Genius Bar. As for the second iPhone, we were so pissed that the smirking assistant manager was so insistent that there wasn't anything deficient with the product, that we refused to give another $200 for a piece of junk that would probably suffer a similar fate. Both iPhones are less than a year old.