Monowear Apple Watch Bands

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chris, Jun 1, 2015.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I came across these last night after Joshua Topolsky tweeted a link. They real nice. I'm reserving judgment until I see reviews. If you visit their Kickstarter, they did have production problems. It's impressive to see they aren't just shipping for the sake of shipping. The current yield is only 20 percent. Apparently, they've made some changes and hope to reach 90 percent.

As for the style of the bands, they've got some nice leather bands for $80, significantly less than Apple. I also like the nylon bands, which remind me of my J.Crew watch.

Here's a link to Monowear.

leather_black_c.jpg leather_black_flat_back.jpg leather_black_flat_front.jpg nylon_top_gray_front.jpg nylon_gray_c.jpg

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I ordered their black metal link band, I'm on a waiting list shipping June. There's a YouTube video of it here:

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I saw someone on Twitter complain that their link bracelet broken and scratched their watch. Might be an isolated case. I've got my eye on the pewter nylon band.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yikes! Will keep an eye for that! Thanks!

Pewter nylon looks nice!

5. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

I will watch for this also. My plastic band on the space grey sport has to go

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I was considering a nylon band, but for $60 I'd rather just get another Apple Sport band for $50. Of course they do have different colors. The gray and olive look pretty cool.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I like the separation between the band and the watch face. I think it creates a nice look. This might be my alternative band to the sport.

8. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Which is the pewter nylon? Gray?

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Apple sports bands are cheap rubber, mine is already discolored, Apple sport bands are over priced junk compared to the nylon bands.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wouldn't say the sports bands are junk, but they are overpriced. You can get a replacement leather band (with stitching, unlike the highly-processed-looking Apple leather bands) for a Movado for that price. Is your band white? Can you post a pic of the discoloration? I'm curious what it looks like.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Maybe not junk, but they did not live to my expectations. On this picture you can see the band loosing some color, Ive rinsed with water and washed (just water and my fingers gently rubbing) it but the discoloration appeared to be getting worse.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1433281389.085371.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wow. Yeah, that looks pretty bad considering how new it is.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The watch itself is good, easy to clean, the rubber band not so much.

14. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

Unreal! That looks like it has been through some tough times. Apple might be sending some replacement bands If that's the norm.
    Remember the free bumper during antenna-gate...

15. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

I'm really surprised at some of the early "disappointments" that I'm reading about, such as the sport bands losing color and such. More so because that's what's on its way to me.

It truly looks like this watch venture for Apple is going to be a huge learning curve. Makes me think that the "wait for watch version 2 or 3 might have been the way to go.

I can understand software glitches, but how hard is it to provide a decent band that lasts more than a few weeks.

16. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

I know how you feel but I am also confident that apple will take care of their product if it's subpar. I am carful with my devices as well. Also, if I were a betting man, I would predict that we will not see the next line of the Apple Watch in the next couple years.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And if I were a betting man, I'd bet the house against you. :)

18. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Idunno, nylon seems pretty cheap to me too. At least no less cheap than the sports bands.

Anyway, it seems to be common for the black sport bands to have wearing issues. Apple will probably replace it for you if you ask. I've been wearing my white band since april and it still looks new.

19. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

We shall see, time will tell.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would bet a lot of money against you on this one. There's pretty much no chance Apple would wait three years for version 2. The competion would kill them in that amount of time. I would say two years at the most and likely one year. They have a track record of launching updated phones, iPads, etc. every year. I don't think this is any different.