MooCowMusic Guitarist To Be Released March 8th!

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
From http://moocowmusic.com/Guitarist/

"Does the world need another guitar application?

The first application I created for the iPhone was a guitar simulator. I thought it was great. But sadly for me I was pipped to the post by PocketGuitar - a quite technically brilliant simulation that went far beyond my humble application. PocketGuitar met with rave reviews and I was pleased for the creator, but thought nothing more of it. Then iBand, whom I had been following with great interest and even supplied with a pre-alpha version of Drummer, decided to stop using PocketGuitar in favour of a second copy of Drummer loaded with a guitar-sample user kit. At first I couldn't see why they would do this, but then I came to realise that they weren't after a perfect emulation of a guitar so much as something they could play live and get perfect takes time after time. This has led me to believe that there is room for more than one guitar on the iPhone: a technically perfect emulation of the dual fretting and strumming actions (PocketGuitar), and a more immediate "soloing" guitar that does away with the concept of strumming and instead allows "hammer-on" playing for faster and more accurate solos. Thus, "MooCowMusic: Guitarist" has been reborn!

Features

• A complete guitar fretboard (including open strings) to the 15th fret.
  • Multi-touch. Up to 5 notes can be played at once.
  • Each note is a separately recorded sample, for maximum quality.
  • Animated strings press down at your touch for visual feedback.
  • Acoustic guitar patch included, with more options available in a later release.
  • Play along to all your MP3s, or your friends using Pianist or Drummer.
  • On-screen keyboard navigation allows you to easily move up and down the fretboard."

Last edited by a moderator:

agent0064life

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
From http://moocowmusic.com/Guitarist/

"Does the world need another guitar application?

The first application I created for the iPhone was a guitar simulator. I thought it was great. But sadly for me I was pipped to the post by PocketGuitar - a quite technically brilliant simulation that went far beyond my humble application. PocketGuitar met with rave reviews and I was pleased for the creator, but thought nothing more of it. Then iBand, whom I had been following with great interest and even supplied with a pre-alpha version of Drummer, decided to stop using PocketGuitar in favour of a second copy of Drummer loaded with a guitar-sample user kit. At first I couldn't see why they would do this, but then I came to realise that they weren't after a perfect emulation of a guitar so much as something they could play live and get perfect takes time after time. This has led me to believe that there is room for more than one guitar on the iPhone: a technically perfect emulation of the dual fretting and strumming actions (PocketGuitar), and a more immediate "soloing" guitar that does away with the concept of strumming and instead allows "hammer-on" playing for faster and more accurate solos. Thus, "MooCowMusic: Guitarist" has been reborn!

Features
  • A complete guitar fretboard (including open strings) to the 15th fret.
  • Multi-touch. Up to 5 notes can be played at once.
  • Each note is a separately recorded sample, for maximum quality.
  • Animated strings press down at your touch for visual feedback.
  • Acoustic guitar patch included, with more options available in a later release.
  • Play along to all your MP3s, or your friends using Pianist or Drummer.
  • On-screen keyboard navigation allows you to easily move up and down the fretboard."
from the graphic it looks like there's no strumming involved... hope I'm wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
from the graphic it looks like there's no strumming involved... hope I'm wrong

nope, you're not wrong. it's not about realism, it's about playability.

moocowmusic.com/guitarist said:
I came to realise that they weren't after a perfect emulation of a guitar so much as something they could play live and get perfect takes time after time. This has led me to believe that there is room for more than one guitar on the iPhone: a technically perfect emulation of the dual fretting and strumming actions (PocketGuitar), and a more immediate "soloing" guitar that does away with the concept of strumming and instead allows "hammer-on" playing for faster and more accurate solos. Thus, "MooCowMusic: Guitarist" has been reborn!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
wow! It seems like the posibilitys r endless. I can't even imagine what software writers r working on behind the scenes. I will definatly be installing this new guitar.

agent0064life

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
One problem that I really wanted to be fixed in PocketGuitar was the ability to play Barred chords. I don't know if it's the iPhone itself that won't allow this, but that's one thing I really wanted to be able to do.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
One problem that I really wanted to be fixed in PocketGuitar was the ability to play Barred chords. I don't know if it's the iPhone itself that won't allow this, but that's one thing I really wanted to be able to do.
yeah, i would have liked this too, but the iPhone is not capable. it can sense multiple individual touch points, but not a line of contact.