More 1.1.1 Good News !

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
After upgrading my iPhone to 1.1.1 my Pioneer system, which came with my Scion xB, now accepts the iPhone just like my video iPod and allows me to control functions through the steering wheel radio buttons and the deck head.

(warm sighs)

KCWarthog

Jul 13, 2007
what cable do you use to connect to your car stereo? I would like to try and use it with my car stereo too, thanks.

fug2000

Aug 1, 2007
After upgrading my iPhone to 1.1.1 my Pioneer system, which came with my Scion xB, now accepts the iPhone just like my video iPod and allows me to control functions through the steering wheel radio buttons and the deck head.

(warm sighs)
1.1.1 did the same for my Kenwood DDX-8019.
NOW it's the "best iPod ever!" :laugh2:

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

(warm sighs)

you beat me to it man!...i wanted to be the 1st to post this good news...i hope to have a 2008 scion xB one day...blazin' the iPhone...:cool:

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
what cable do you use to connect to your car stereo? I would like to try and use it with my car stereo too, thanks.
http://www.scion.com/#xBAccessories_soundSystem_ScionIpodInterfaceCable

The cable is specific to the Scion and actually plugs into the center console. The Pioneer system sounds amazing with the iPhone or iPod.

http://www.scion.com/#xBAccessories_soundSystem

The 2008 Scion xB is a great car/van/thing. I needed a niche vehicle and was looking at the Honda Element, Mazda5 and the xB. I was torn until I drove the xB with the 5 speed. Fracking nice.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
http://www.scion.com/#xBAccessories_soundSystem_ScionIpodInterfaceCable

The cable is specific to the Scion and actually plugs into the center console. The Pioneer system sounds amazing with the iPhone or iPod.

http://www.scion.com/#xBAccessories_soundSystem

The 2008 Scion xB is a great car/van/thing. I needed a niche vehicle and was looking at the Honda Element, Mazda5 and the xB. I was torn until I drove the xB with the 5 speed. Fracking nice.
That square, boxy Scion has got to be the ugliest, most unappealing auto out there. What's worse, it was made for teens and ppl in their early 20's, yet most of the ppl I see driving them are my age! Sorry for the off-topic remarks.
Carry on!

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
No one kicks a dead dog

Hondamaker, you're just jealous. My other car is a civic. I need to sell it.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
Interesting... I have an 06 Xa that I would assume has the same Pioneer iPod connection , which has worked with my iPhone from day 1. I get the "this device is not designed blah blah airplane mode" message but I just say no. Phone rings through the speakers. Actually, before the first firmware update I was able to bypass the ipod player and play streaming mp3s (like from seeqpod) right through the connector, but no more...

One thing that sucks is that the OEM cord isn't long enough to take calls while plugged in. I wish I could get a longer one. There is a M>F dock extender cord made by cablejive that might work. ($65... ouch!).

It is a pretty sweet set up though.... and I automatically gained a car phone charger to boot!

Describing just this functionality alone pretty much shuts up the iMockers I encounter.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I use the Scion cable for the Video iPod. Was lucky enough to find a Cig-Power outlet device that you can plug any USB device into to charge and I use that and the USB cable that came with the iPhone to charge while on the road.

Before 1.1.1 my Scion xB would display iPod Error in the Pioneer head display and not pick up the music content. The iPhone would proclaim "This is not a Apple Device, Airplane Mode, yada yada message. Works now.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
That square, boxy Scion has got to be the ugliest, most unappealing auto out there. What's worse, it was made for teens and ppl in their early 20's, yet most of the ppl I see driving them are my age! Sorry for the off-topic remarks.
Carry on!
Go Away.....Scion xB is great. Looks great, feels great and is less filling

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think the real gist of Hondamaker's angst is that Toyota has long surpassed Honda, and is currently the world's largest automaker.

With regards to the xB, you have to give Toyota some credit here, like Apple and Nintendo they have taken a shot at creating their own market using the Scion x"fill in the blank" series.

The xB in particular has done very well for itself as a spacious compact utility vehicle. Down here in Los Angeles, I've noticed a lot of service vans that have moved from the GMC models to the new xB in lieu of better gas mileage and reliability.

Think of the xB as an even smaller Honda Element, and you'll understand the fanfare, as even the Element has a face only a mother could love.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Being in Ohio my situation was this:
  • I will only drive a manual transmission.
  • 4WD is really no longer needed.
  • VERY Difficult to find a Honda Element in 2WD and 5 speed.
  • xB is $3000 cheaper than Mazda5 and xB has more features.
The choice was simple. The xB is a hoot to drive.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm actually interested in the xB after reading this thread. I ride a motorcycle 75% of the time, and 20% of the time I am away on businesss with a rental car. So keeping a $30k-$50k car around for 5% of my driving is starting to seem crazy--and I have my wife's car at my disposal too (well, my words, not hers ;)).

Anyway, unless I am missing something this Scion seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck, without screaming, "ECONOMY CAR!" And call me crazy but the darn iPod connectivity is something that is swaying me.

--
Mike

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I think the real gist of Hondamaker's angst is that Toyota has long surpassed Honda, and is currently the world's largest automaker.
Toyota has always been ahead of Honda, and I like plenty of Toyota's models.
But that boxy Scion? Fuggetaboutit! Now, the sports car Scion, for a tiny car, that's sweet.