More 3G Rumors...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yep. That was reported on macrumors and justanotheriPhoneblog yesterday. Seems like a lot of phones to order for only the second half of the year. Maybe they're expected increased sales with 3G capabilities.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
That would be nice although OLED is expensive hope they wont be driving up the price.

An OLED screen with 3g sweet! Might be able to make the iPhone closer to the size of the touch.

Johnny apple

Bronze
Mar 12, 2008
NYC
That would be nice although OLED is expensive hope they wont be driving up the price.

An OLED screen with 3g sweet! Might be able to make the iPhone closer to the size of the touch.
that would be sweet but how many people would actually make the switch?

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
So, is 3G as fast as Wifi? or does it come close?
The data speed of 3G is determined based on a combination of factors including the chip rate, channel structure, power control, and synchronization.

An example of calculating the theoretical 3G data speed is as follows:

W-CDMA assigned code 400-500 Kpbs/code. 6 codes X 400 > 2Mbps (UMTS target for 3G data speed in fixed location)
Actual data speeds will vary in accordance with several factors including:

Number of users in cell/sector
Distance of user from cell
User is moving or stationary
Network operator capacity and network optimization requirements

1xEV-DO (Current 2.5G Edge) is a data-only solution, supporting a theoretical data speed of up to 2.457 Mbps

1xEV-DV is a data and voice solution, supporting a theoretical data speed of up to 3.072 Mbps

FOMA (3G Edge ?) has two operational modes, supporting a dedicated 64 Kbps connection or a 384 Kbps downlink/64 Kbps uplink best-effort connection.

TD-SCDMA can operate in 1.6 MHz or 5 MHz mode for 2 Mbps or 6 Mpbs respectively

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
So, is 3G as fast as Wifi? or does it come close?
I'm not sure how fast it's going to be on an iPhone but when I had 3G on my Motorola RAZR V3xx and I used the phone to get internet on my laptop it absolutely flew. It was almost as fast as my home DSL. It would be awesome to have on an iPhone.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
The data speed of 3G is determined based on a combination of factors including the chip rate, channel structure, power control, and synchronization.

An example of calculating the theoretical 3G data speed is as follows:

W-CDMA assigned code 400-500 Kpbs/code. 6 codes X 400 > 2Mbps (UMTS target for 3G data speed in fixed location)
Actual data speeds will vary in accordance with several factors including:

Number of users in cell/sector
Distance of user from cell
User is moving or stationary
Network operator capacity and network optimization requirements

1xEV-DO (Current 2.5G Edge) is a data-only solution, supporting a theoretical data speed of up to 2.457 Mbps

1xEV-DV is a data and voice solution, supporting a theoretical data speed of up to 3.072 Mbps

FOMA (3G Edge ?) has two operational modes, supporting a dedicated 64 Kbps connection or a 384 Kbps downlink/64 Kbps uplink best-effort connection.

TD-SCDMA can operate in 1.6 MHz or 5 MHz mode for 2 Mbps or 6 Mpbs respectively
yes, that's what I said^, lol....j/k:p

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109

This is incorrect. "1xEV-DO" is a cdma 3G technology(verizon,sprint) while "2.5G Edge" is gsm.(AT&T, tmobile)