More Abuse from My Girlfriend...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Anyway, I finally received my 1974-vintage calculator from eBay with no guarantees it would work. I put the four AA batteries in and it wouldn't work, so I chalked it up to a bad model and figured I got off pretty cheap at $20.

A few hours later, I went back and looked at the battery compartment. I had put all four batteries in using the same directional configuration instead of alternating them as per the little chart at the bottom of the compartment. I changed them around and voila! It powered on and worked fine.

I'm telling Mindi about this this morning over the phone and she says, "Gee - you kinda suck at batteries, don't you?" She reminded me of my last visit, where I put the batteries in my UV scorpion-hunting flashlight incorrectly as well.

Can't wait until I put a new battery in my car...

20110322__HateCrimeCar.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Heh. It's kinda like the Einstein and coffee making thing. I'm finding your weaknesses one by one. :D

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I

On the bright side, your car only takes one battery. :D
Have you ever wired a car battery up backwards? Or at least tried to jump-start a car and messed up the polarity? I'm a qualified electrician (HVAC) and I made that stupid error in the dark jumping a friends car - not only did it kill the battery it also screwed the battery on my car... lol. Ooops.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Anyway, I finally received my 1974-vintage calculator from eBay with no guarantees it would work. I put the four AA batteries in and it wouldn't work, so I chalked it up to a bad model and figured I got off pretty cheap at $20.

A few hours later, I went back and looked at the battery compartment. I had put all four batteries in using the same directional configuration instead of alternating them as per the little chart at the bottom of the compartment. I changed them around and voila! It powered on and worked fine.

I'm telling Mindi about this this morning over the phone and she says, "Gee - you kinda suck at batteries, don't you?" She reminded me of my last visit, where I put the batteries in my UV scorpion-hunting flashlight incorrectly as well.

Can't wait until I put a new battery in my car...

View attachment 28643
Naps, you are not telling us the part of this story that involved YOU disassembling the entire calculator piece by piece, testing every component and reassembling just before you realized that the batteries were installed incorrectly. Come on admitted! You pulled that sucker apart didn't you? :D

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Have you ever wired a car battery up backwards? Or at least tried to jump-start a car and messed up the polarity? I'm a qualified electrician (HVAC) and I made that stupid error in the dark jumping a friends car - not only did it kill the battery it also screwed the battery on my car... lol. Ooops.
So far I haven't made that mistake, though I have gotten in arguments over whether to clamp the other end of the negative cable to the negative terminal of the dead battery or not. Most people insist on clamping it to the negative terminal, but if we're using my cables and my battery, I'm clamping it to the engine block like every set of instructions I've ever read say to.

I also always have a flashlight in the car and on my person. :)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1364204447.381806.jpg