More And More, People Are Switching From Android To iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kadelic, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Though there has been plenty of debate in this forum about the pros and cons of the different platforms, this trend is probably not much of a surprise to many of the members here. I know we've had dedicated iPhone users defect to Android only to come back. Sometimes it only takes weeks, sometimes longer. Of course not everyone comes back to iPhone, at least not yet anyway, but it appears many are jumping the Android ship to become first time iPhone users.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/12/android-to-iphone-trend-accelerating/

#1 Kadelic, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've seen people switch only to come back within a number of hours or days. It's usually a quick realization when they realize all of their favorite apps are not up to snuff on Android. I switch often, it's the nature of my businesss. I also have no bias to a platform. My bias is for technology that I enjoy using. My last move was to swap SIMs to a Nexus 5. I was super excited about the Nexus 5, for a few days. On my iPhone, I have a number of apps that are critical to my everyday usage. Tweetbot, Quicklytics are among them. I've spent plenty of time buying apps from the Play Store and researching apps. My best purchases have often been launcher related. That's the sweet spot for Android – customization. (and notifications, which I find superior to iOS). Trouble is, for me, I stick with stock Android. The benefits gained from these launchers is often lost. Sure there are added things like gestures and such, but the value of these add-ons are limited.

As for the trend, I know a number of friends who have an intense dislike for iOS 7. I've also seen a fair number of comments on the blog at eiC with folks expressing displeasure. Where there is smoke, often there is fire. Apple being Apple, I don't expect changes and I bet as a result, more folks give Android a try. Some will stick, especially those who don't have much invested in 3rd party apps.

A mid-year refresh in the form of 7.5 to appease some of the complaints would do wonders. Again, I don't see that happening.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've gotten used to iOS 7. I hated the look at first. I still don't like that some things are hard to see. Like the options at the bottom of the phone app. I also didn't like the contacts profile photos changing to a circle. I had to do many over again. I turned "bold text" on in settings, and that helped with some things. I won't be switching to an Android.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think that it is unfortunate that iOS 7 isn't a pure win for Apple. You've got plenty of people who like yourself, are just ok with it after tweaking a few settings. There isn't the outpouring of love that Apple envisioned when they released it. I prefer iOS 7 to iOS 6, but definitely wanted more from iOS 7. The icons grow on you, but it's not their best work, by a stretch.

I saw an prominent app reviewer complaining about Tweetbot 3. I feel that's sort of indicative of iOS 7. That app lost much of its personality.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I hope an update offers some relief from some of my own peeves with iOS 7, but I agree that Apple is going to stand fast and not give any options. I was really hoping my (albeit limited) days of pining for a jailbreak were over with iOS 7. I guess I'll still be inclined to go that route though.

I suppose I should have included in my OP that I have zero experience with Android devices.

6. GAO

GAO Member
    Bronze

I've noticed the contact photo in the circle will shift and you have to go in edit mode to recenter it. Hopefully that will be corrected soon in an update.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Echofon pro omitted the background themes in their recent update. Many complaints. It's all bright white now. I don't get the bright white thing. Maybe I'm just old and my eyes are sensitive. But I use the free version of Echofon. It still has the black theme option. iOS 7 has too much bright white with faded out options and thin lines that are hard to see. When I first launched my calendar in iOS 7, it about blinded me. Why Jony and Apple thought that to be a good idea is beyond me.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't mind the white. Do you use auto-brightness? I have to disable it and crank up the screen brightness to blinding level for it to be a problem.

What bugs me about iOS 7 is the underlying of dates and times in messaging and that you have to scroll down to visualize calendar events.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I did adjust brightness. But now the darker things are harder to see. But it's not as bad as too bright. For me, too bright is at 30%. 20% is better. I do use auto bright some, but it has sudden drastic changes I don't like. My eyes don't adjust that fast. A lot of it is my eyes. Cataracts and detached retinas in both eyes. I like dark rooms with minimal light.

10. YvonnePierre

YvonnePierre New Member

I am still using Android, I think the most important would be the data inside the phone. I wonder if there is a guide to transfer data from phone to phone.
    Of all data, I concern my photo most. I searched days to transfer photos from Android to iPhone. At last, I found this guide: goo.gl/ HbYimL

#10 YvonnePierre, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013