"More bars in more places"? YEAH. RIGHT.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Actually---it is the carriers fault. They ship a phone that is default set to 3G because it's supposed to be able to run on this great network that is half butt built. SO---no, it's not Apple (once I removed the 3G it was GREAT)....it's ATT and whatever other network announced and launched a less than par network. Am I out of control? Nope. Do I have a right to be frustrated after paying $550 for a phone that I have to tweek to make it work right? Bet your hiney I do!
Problem is I'm totally confused when I see reports like this:

This in no way explains how my father's Nokia 6555 has FULL reception next to my iPhone, which has 1-2 bars or is on EDGE. Reception, Mhz, frequency, Technology aside, other phones register 3G all over the entire city with no fallback to EDGE, and my phone's on EDGE over 80% of the time...

I know of a 3G tower by my house, and when I get less than 1/2 a mile away and can STILL see the tower in my rear-view mirror, I have already gone to 1 bar and the phone is hanging onto that signal for dear life.... when it switches to 2G it has full service again, from the same tower presumably. That's an awfuly bad issue to have just because the tower is 1900 mhz with 3G. T-Mobile, which is GSM 1900 only pretty much would have to have towers every 1/8th of a mile for those poor customers to have reception! but...that's not the case... My iPhone 3G is the only one with no signal...
How would you explain that? I've seen several reports of this kind of comparison with two different 3G phones (on the AT&T network) side-by-side. :confused:

I know it's only been a couple of weeks but am wondering if Apple or AT&T plans on addressing on this. Being that the phone is sold out everywhere, probably not.

rmfnla

Bronze
You don't have a counter - argument for any of my points? I guess I am wasting my time. All I can say is get another 3G device on AT&T's network and you'll see how you've been in a true 3G area all along. I had a blackberry on AT&T and it had great 3G reception everywhere I went and yet the iPhone has only 1 or 2 bars. Now why is that?
Forget the bars; how is the reception on the iPhone?

Mine works GREAT, even when there is only 1 or 2 bars. That's 3G; I seem to have five bars in Edge pretty much everywhere.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I live in NJ and get good service...but there are times when I am in those more places and get less bars... just a way to draw everyone in...

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
Cingular/AT&T was always amazing for me service wise coming from nextel/tmobile years ago. Had AT&T for 3 years and it kept getting better, until my damn 3g iPhone, so many dropped calls and terrible reception now :|

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Cingular/AT&T was always amazing for me service wise coming from nextel/tmobile years ago. Had AT&T for 3 years and it kept getting better, until my damn 3g iPhone, so many dropped calls and terrible reception now :|
Well, if that's your RUF in your avatar, a quick trip through mountain's twisty's will help you forget all about your iPhone's terrible reception :laugh2:

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
Hah that is indeed my RUF R-GT2 ;)

And yes the twisties/track will make anyone enter their own world of straight up thrill forgetting about any stressors within daily life, still sucks though blah, you would think they would have had everything ironed out software wise :|

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Hah that is indeed my RUF R-GT2 ;)

And yes the twisties/track will make anyone enter their own world of straight up thrill forgetting about any stressors within daily life, still sucks though blah, you would think they would have had everything ironed out software wise :|
I'm jealous, I would kill for a RUF tuned Porsche :cool:

True, but I have perfect reception in my area, so I dunno

EDIT::::OT, got any more pics of that beautiful piece of German engineering?

mototel

Nov 10, 2007
The only problem Ive ever had with reception was with Nextel. My last company was Tmobile and my AT&T service is actually better than tmobile...atleast here in orlando
Thats strange. I had the exact opposite problem. My iPhone was on t-mobile while my girlfriends was on AT&T and I always had better reception then her.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
I'm jealous, I would kill for a RUF tuned Porsche :cool:

True, but I have perfect reception in my area, so I dunno

EDIT::::OT, got any more pics of that beautiful piece of German engineering?
Well, one day I am sure you will be able to acquire it ! Glad to see you are a fan, I feel like they are far and very few who appreciate Porsche's for their pure bred heritage/history and driving experience. All of my friends I go on runs with and so on have Lambo's, Ferrari's you name it, we are all enthusiasts , but while on these you annot imagine how many times I get asked "so, howcome you didn't get one of those?" I stare in disbelief. Not only is it rude, but down right ignorant!

All the best!

Martin :cool:

BTW check out www.exoticsrally.com

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Well, one day I am sure you will be able to acquire it ! Glad to see you are a fan, I feel like they are far and very few who appreciate Porsche's for their pure bred heritage/history and driving experience. All of my friends I go on runs with and so on have Lambo's, Ferrari's you name it, we are all enthusiasts , but while on these you annot imagine how many times I get asked "so, howcome you didn't get one of those?" I stare in disbelief. Not only is it rude, but down right ignorant!

All the best!

Martin :cool:

BTW check out www.exoticsrally.com
I hope so, I have always loved Porsche's....especially the new 997 Turbo, that thing is sex on wheels! Agreed, almost everybody i talk cars with says they would prefer a Ferrari over a Porsche. Again, I also agree.

Thanks!

Emilio :laugh2:

And sorry for getting off-topic :oops:

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Perfect service here in Austin Texas. 3 bars of 3g. And even if there is only one i still get really fast 3g and perfect calls.

Same perfect service also present all over the bay area in california.

My family has been with att for a long time now. Just perfect for us.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I looked. It's just a big lie. I can still cancel within 30 days but I am choosing to suffer for the iPhone. It's like saying "Would you be willing to get hit in the face every morning with a shovel for a million dollars a day?" Sure, the shovel hitting sucks but the recompense makes it worth it.

I'm just SHOCKED at what liars AT&T are in their lame commercials making fun of people who have "other" carriers and get no bars. What a freakin joke.
What the hell are you talking about? The only ad they're running now is the "More bars in more places." I don't know how you're getting mad at this. Their ad doesn't say "Full reception everywhere you go. And full bars too." No, no, absolutely not. The reason this ad is running now is because if you look at the number of new towers they've built in recent months, it's outstanding. Their coverage is growing and growing. So sorry you live where you can't get reception. I'm not trying to be rude or mean here, but if you hate it so much, cancel the contract or move. Option one is probably more feasible.

AT&T is crap compared to my experience on Sprint. I'd jump back in a heartbeat if there was a CDMA iPhone.
Right. Sprint. PLEASE, go back then... Don't even get started on the company that I guarantee you will be out of businesss in the next couple years.

Yeah, GSM is an inferior technology. I hated verizon as a company, but the quality of their service was supreme.
Inferior technology? Correct me if I'm wrong, but CDMA technology cannot transmit voice and data at the same time (i.e., being on the phone while surfing the web...not on Wifi). You can't say it's inferior technology without explaining what makes it inferior AND considering the fact that it's the global cellular standard. Thanks.

Geeze, sorry - just had to get that off my chest.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I know how you feel KabaModern. People are either too ignorant or naive to see what the real issue is here, and I can tell you that it's not AT&T. The iPhone has been documented from people ALL OVER THE WORLD with reception issues, yet they still want to blame AT&T, a company that provides service to only 1 of the 22 countries people currently have iPhones in.

And someone mentioned that it doesn't matter how many bars you have, as long as the call is not dropped or it sounds clear. That may be the case with 1 bar (however many people are still getting dropped calls due to the iPhone holding on to an extremely weak 3G signal) but you have to remember that 1 bar means very crappy internet access speeds. Most people didn't get the 3G for voice quality you know, they got it for the browser, email, youtube, etc.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I used to have great service, 4 bars most of the time. Now i get dropped calls all over the place even when i have 2 bars of service or better. I also find that sometimes texts of mine don't send though i'm in perfectly good service areas. I'm thinking about going into the genius bar, its a bit irritating when you think you've texted someone and you find out an hour later though you had 4 bars of service it didn't send. It didn't use to be like this

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
forreals dude i never get signal at my house and im at my house most the time... which is pretty pathetic...

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I used to have great service, 4 bars most of the time. Now i get dropped calls all over the place even when i have 2 bars of service or better. I also find that sometimes texts of mine don't send though i'm in perfectly good service areas. I'm thinking about going into the genius bar, its a bit irritating when you think you've texted someone and you find out an hour later though you had 4 bars of service it didn't send. It didn't use to be like this
And you're keeping the phone? Why?

forreals dude i never get signal at my house and im at my house most the time... which is pretty pathetic...

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007

Well 1, i love the phone. My complaints aren't about hardware. 2, and what pay an early termination fee, i'll have to stick with AT&T until it runs out just like i waited on my verizon contract.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Well 1, i love the phone. My complaints aren't about hardware. 2, and what pay an early termination fee, i'll have to stick with AT&T until it runs out just like i waited on my verizon contract.
So if you've resigned yourself to your fate...this probably isn't a good thread for you. Just love your phone and bang your head against a wall three/four times a day. BTW, you do have 30 days to return the phone and get out of your ETF. ;)

Ciao.