More crashes on iPhone 5s than on other 5 models, according to report

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Rafagon, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

http://allthingsd.com/20131011/apps-on-iphone-5s-crashing-at-twice-the-rate-as-on-iphone-5-iphone-5c/

I have experienced a small number of crashes on apps that one would never expect to crash, such as Settings and Messages. These are certainly not even close to being a deal-breaker for me, but still, a company with the resources of Apple should've been able to iron out 99.99% of the kinks before releasing the 5s. (One cannot forget that when the 5s was released, a 6.0.1 patch was already waiting to be applied to the newly released model.)

Besides the crashes, we have inaccuracies (more so than with previous models) with the compass and level readings.

Maybe when the spaceship campus goes live and is able to house more employees, things like this won't happen anymore.

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon

I read a little blurb about this and I have to agree. I have had a lot of little crashes. Mostly from Apps that have not been updated in a while. I have one App that the developer seems to have abandoned and they haven't updated since March of 2013. It's not even on their web site anymore. I haven't taken it off of my iPhone yet in hopes that they will bring it back and I don't want to lose content.

My Apple Numbers App crashes every single time I make updates to formulas in spreadsheets. My Music App crashes sometimes, Photo's App has crashed and definitely my Camera App has crashed a few times. My iPhone even makes a strained weird sound when I take a picture. It did this on my iPhone 5 after the iOS7 update and now on the iPhone 5s.

Oh yes, and the all time issue I had as of late. My iPhone would just shut off and restart at random at least once a day since the iOS7 update on the iPhone 5 and now it happens on the iPhone 5s too. When this happened on the 5 I knew it was software related and when the update came out to correct some things and it didn't fix this, I figured Apple will get to it soon hopefully.

For all my issues, I don't think it's the hardware causing them. I think it's the software. If I get a replacement iPhone I expect the same things will be going on. I want to make a Genius appointment when I have time. However, I know a swap out won't solve these issues. Apple has to get the kinks worked out. I hope they do it soon.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Apple is not as big a company as you might think, I think. They don't have departments dedicated to things like checking compatibility, or making iWork. They have a set of engineers that each work on different things as they come up, and it's most likely that these 64-bit-specific crashing issues either hadn't come up, or did not come up in time for them to include a fix at launch. No company, no matter how resourceful, can account for every single possibility. They've got too many moving parts to be able to prepare for every contingency.

Recall that the iTunes remote app was made by one guy, and he was tied up in other things for months and could not get a chance to update the app. It's probably still a very similar situation today, compounded by so many things happening at once - the iOS 7 update itself, the shift to 64-bit support, OS X 10.9...

Even so, there are still many other factors that might come into play. The engineers could very well have thoroughly picked apart their software and tested through a very specific set of actions that happened to avoid the issues. I know how it goes. I'll spend endless hours throughout the day using my products with no problem, and then a test engineer goes and spends 5 minutes with it and trips over a huge stumbling block that I just never would have thought to try.

They'll work out the kinks, indeed, but don't let this tarnish your view of the company. Nobody's perfect, even with a spaceship campus on the horizon.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

In the past few days, I've seen a lot of apps get incremental updates with the update notes reading as "iOS 7 compatibility." I get happy every time I see that, because I know it's going to mean fewer crashes.

So, you've used Numbers. Could you help me figure out why I updated a spreadsheet on the Numbers web app that's on the iCloud.com website, but the change was never reflected in the corresponding sheet on my iOS app? I have the appropriate setting for document syncing set to ON (see below). I can't figure it out and I pretty much gave up on trying to make it work!

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1381518855.319086.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I went to try this, and Firefox crashed. wink2.gif

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, at least it wasn't Safari that crashed. That would've been really sad... hehe

Sent using iCafe app

7. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I read that there seems to be an issue on the 5S. It gets the BSOD (blue screen of death). It most occurs when switching apps or using numbers and iWorks. A way to prevent it is to turn off icloud syncing with the data from these apps. This is what I read on forbes.com (via flipboard).

Sent using iCafe app

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon

I do not use the Numbers Web App on iCloud.com. A while back I purchased the iWorks suite for my iMac so I use the Numbers App and everything syncs up fine no matter where I update.

A While back I did have something like your issue happen to me before and I lost some updates. So I turned off my Numbers App syncing and then put it back again and it worked. A rudimentary way of fixing things, but it worked at that time for me. Taking syncing off of iCloud and then putting it back on might work. I hope it does.

If that doesn't work for you call Apple and tell them about this. This may be a bug.

Now the only issue you might have with updating and things syncing up perfectly is if you have the Numbers document open on your iPhone or Pad and then you make changes on the iMac Numbers App and save it, then you will get a message saying that it was updated on your iMac on the iPhone and iPad and it will ask you which one you want to use. You have to make sure you choose the correct one with the new changes.

I don't know if using the iCloud App is the same as using the regular Numbers App on your computer but I would try to disallow numbers to be backed up or stored in iCloud and disassociate it with iCloud everywhere. Then reconnect it again. I'm sure you've tried this, but try it again.

Definitely sounds like a bug. Numbers is a great App and I know you want to continue using it. Call Apple of all else fails. This might be something they have to correct.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I hadn't tried it! Shame on me, I should've known better. Going to try it today and see if it works. Thank you.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not really surprised. iOS 7 was worked on for less time than the others. The new 64-bit A7 is causing a few hiccups for developers. Not too worried about it.

11. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

The problem I'm having is that my iPhone 5s reboots once in a while I'm using it. It's done it twice in the 3 days I've had it.

Sent using iCafe app