More Failed Calls

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
One thing I am noticing more and more are the frequent failed calls I'm getting with my iPhone. I came over from a BB8800 and I had an occasional failed call but I'm getting them several times per week.

I LOVE the way the phone automatically gets you a screen to call back though.

Anyone else experience this?

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I switched over from Verizon where I had very few dropped calls. I average 10 to 20 failed calls per day with AT&T, needless to say I'm very disappointed with the AT&T, but love the iPhone.

RJ1

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Celebration FL
Were you calling someone on a cell phone?

Not sure if it has anything to do with but I get call failed when I am calling my friend on his cell phone but did not go cause his signal was low or not available which then says on my end call failed

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Were you calling someone on a cell phone?

Not sure if it has anything to do with but I get call failed when I am calling my friend on his cell phone but did not go cause his signal was low or not available which then says on my end call failed
About 90% of my calls are to land lines. I travel quite a bit in desolate areas, but never had the issues with Verizon as I do with AT&T.

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Not a problem here

perhaps your area? I had more dropped calls with Verizon and metroPCS

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
so do you guys think the failed calls are hardware or network related?

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Definitely network problems. Verizon has always had the cellular world by the testes. GSM networks are flakey, but are getting much better. I just pray that AT&T will add more towers, im near DC and still have many dead areas..... thats just not right!

but of course the features of the phone outweigh my need for perfect service :cool:

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Definitely network problems. Verizon has always had the cellular world by the testes. GSM networks are flakey, but are getting much better. I just pray that AT&T will add more towers, im near DC and still have many dead areas..... thats just not right!

but of course the features of the phone outweigh my need for perfect service :cool:
Definitely?

Please help us understand your background and network knowledge to where you can speak to the macro-level advantage of CDMA over GSM....Please oh please..

And to the person above with 10-20 drops a day... you have something else going on.

I switched from VZN to Cingular a few months ago and was using a Blackberry 8800 and NEVER dropped a call and have YET to drop a call on my iPhone.

I don't even have a landline and even with a bar to two I have not dropped a call.

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Woah, settle down there. Are we not allowed to share input unless we have had ten years experience with cellular network construction? just adding something to the conversation... sorry I offended you so much....

Fine, theres a chance it is the hardware, but everyone I know with cingular and AT&T have the same problems..... so why would I not come to that conclusion. My freakin bad dude.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Woah, settle down there. Are we not allowed to share input unless we have had ten years experience with cellular network construction? just adding something to the conversation... sorry I offended you so much....

Fine, theres a chance it is the hardware, but everyone I know with cingular and AT&T have the same problems..... so why would I not come to that conclusion. My freakin bad dude.
I in no way meant to insult anyone but my response was based mainly on your use of "definitely" and I think everyone knows the variables that drive network performance at any given time at any given location are almost endless.

I have used them all and while there are the bottom dwellers IMO, Verizon and Cingular both have very good networks.

My apologies if I came off intense.

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
No its fine. Didn't really think through my initial response. Sorry about lashing back like that. I just wanted to say I thought it was the service coverage by comparing it to vzw's.
sorry again :)

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
my iPhone has poorer reception then my previous cingular/att phones. This is in the long island-nassau county area.

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
I have been with Cingular/At&t for over five years now. I live roughly 1.5 miles from our local tower. I get more drops and poor signal with my iPhone than any other phone I have ever owned on this network. My wife has two nokias ATM, same network, no drops and mostly always full bars.

.... Legal mumbo jumbo..... I am not bashing iPhone, please restrain from negative replies. Thanks and have a nice day.

sled14

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Fort Lauderdale
I've had Cingular/AT&T for about 7 years now. Had a razr before iPhone and almost never had a dropped call. Now with the iPhone I've had a bunch which makes me believe its a hardware issue. And Ive lived in suburbs of DC and NYC. Even so I love my iPhone, right now were on a roadtrip in the middle of Ohio and even in the mountains could get the internet pretty quickly.

philhh

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
My Treo 650 frequently would fail when trying to place a call. The Treo 680 was far better, but still failed fairly frequently when trying to place a call. I think Treos where fairly notoriously poor cell phones. Both of my iPhones appear to have better reception and have yet to fail to place a call or drop a call.

I don't know if this has to do with any upgrades in San Diego to the Cingular network, but since I was on Cingular before I can only assume that it is due to better performance from the iPhone.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
One thing I am noticing more and more are the frequent failed calls I'm getting with my iPhone. I came over from a BB8800 and I had an occasional failed call but I'm getting them several times per week.

I LOVE the way the phone automatically gets you a screen to call back though.

Anyone else experience this?
I had a ton this last week after the update. Before that, I never had a call fail on me. It might just be coincidence though.

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
I had a bunch of problems with my BB 8700 giving me the call failed problem. Reloaded handheld software and did a reset, not totally sure how that translates to the iPhone but hope it helps.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
how much battery power you have makes a difference as well...