More Good SDK Omens

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
iPhone Atlas has a good article up with some very promising quotes from Apple's COO at a financial symposium today when asked about SDK and other subjects. Maybe the most promising sounding one in terms of hoping to see some shiny new 'official' apps real quick - when he was asked when we might expect to see third-party apps, he said:

We’re going to go into some more details at the event next week. I don’t want to take away the element of surprise.

I really think there will be some apps ready to go / be purchased on March 6th ...

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
it was long waiting for this week to arrive... Now we get to wait a week and a few days again...

I'll bring some popcorn

Feb 26, 2008
I'm not necessarily as excited over the SDK release as I am over some new features that we might get in the next update (flash, Cut and Paste, MMS) the software released as a result of the SDK is going to take a few days to weeks to show up. I really do hope its somthing big though because im seriously thinking about Jailbreaking my iPhone

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm not necessarily as excited over the SDK release as I am over some new features that we might get in the next update (flash, Cut and Paste, MMS) the software released as a result of the SDK is going to take a few days to weeks to show up. I really do hope its somthing big though because im seriously thinking about Jailbreaking my iPhone
I find it hard to get excited over those right now, because there's no real indication that they're going to be in a next update. Those will be very good to see when they arrive, but no hints yet that they're due to be in a next update. By now, I have more faith in the limitless creativity of iPhone developers, than I do in seeing those features (especially all of them at once) in an update anytime real soon - hope I'm wrong on that though ....

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
I just can't imagine seeing a new, full software update in just 8 days (to release Flash, MMS, etc..) after we just had one that seemingly did nothing we had hoped. Maybe I am wrong, but would they really release a new update a week later than a prior one?

Feb 26, 2008
I find it hard to get excited over those right now, because there's no real indication that they're going to be in a next update. Those will be very good to see when they arrive, but no hints yet that they're due to be in a next update. By now, I have more faith in the limitless creativity of iPhone developers, than I do in seeing those features (especially all of them at once) in an update anytime real soon - hope I'm wrong on that though ....

True...I suppose the time I should start to get excited is mid to late March. Though it is a bit disenfranchising to know that Apple is so blind to the demands of the people that keep it in businesss...BUT I wont go on complaining about the things countless others have , I suppose the sdk is our best shot!

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
wouldn't flash also require a hardware upgrade. or even a battery with more stamina?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
True...I suppose the time I should start to get excited is mid to late March. Though it is a bit disenfranchising to know that Apple is so blind to the demands of the people that keep it in businesss...BUT I wont go on complaining about the things countless others have , I suppose the sdk is our best shot!
I hope they're not blind to how much people want those features. I have no idea why these aren't here yet, but hope they will address them at some point in the not-too-distant future ...

Feb 26, 2008
What exactly is MMS ?
Multimedia Messaging Service, basically what it is, is being able to send and receive pictures, and small media without having to have them emailed to an account. Even my cousins free cricket phone has it , but Apple in its wisdom decided the iPhone was above it or something :mad:

Feb 26, 2008
I was trying to remember the acronym, and kept thinking Media ... something - thanks for giving the proper one ...

Your welcome , Patrick I like your Blog , May I ask you if you've jailbroken your phone? if so do you recommend it as an immediate typa thing or should I wait for the SDK aftermath?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Your welcome , Patrick I like your Blog , May I ask you if you've jailbroken your phone? if so do you recommend it as an immediate typa thing or should I wait for the SDK aftermath?
Blog - thanks, glad to hear it.
Yes, I've been jailbroken since back on 1.0.2. I would recommend it for most I think. There really are some useful, cool, and fun apps available by now. Many of them may cross over to paid-for and iTunes distributed in future I guess.
Main reason it is worthwhile right now = if we're all correct in guessing that there will not be another firmware update before the SDK, it means you can maintain a 'best of both worlds' sort of setup for now - as in, run the jailbreak apps, and presumably run post-SDK apps without a problem as well ...

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
this person can't be serious lmfao...... lol lol lol:laugh2:
Well, being that I live in Japan and have been for the past 7 years. I have never owned a US cell phone. When I left there, cell phones were just being released, pagers were still in. How am I supposed to know. Trust me, Japanese cell phones are much diff than in the U.S. There is SMS but it is basically used by Noone. Pictures and media are usually sent through regular cell phone email here.