more memory?

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
So when i look at my memory/space used it only says 12mb (look at the drop down screen when locked) But if I go into the main settings and look I have so much more than that. When you jailbreak your phone is there only a certain amount of space that is used? Does it partition itself meaning.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
All the key files on the phone are in one area and all the media content you add is in another. It's basically a partition.

It sounds as if you are talking about RAM?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That's RAM, the more you have the faster the phone will run. (it's a little more complicated than my explanation)

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
Ok. Do know what RAM is haha So thats not the overall RAM of the phone is it? Is it just the partition RAM for the jailbreak?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It's much RAM you have left. The 3G does slow quite a lot when you jailbreak it. The Cydia apps/tweaks/themes eat the RAM.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The 11.2gb is what you have left on the SSD within the phone. You have 11.2gb of space left to add content, that could be music, video's and pictures, plus apps.

RAM stands for random access memory, the most common computer memory which can be used by programs to perform necessary tasks while the computer is on; an integrated circuit memory chip allows information to be stored or accessed in any order and all storage locations are equally accessible.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Unless your noticing a considerable lag - don't pay too much attention to that figure. The iPhone has a memory management tool built into the iOS that essentially should do the above automatically when needed