More release date questions?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
So Im finally in California. I went to the nearest Beverly Hills ATT store, and they said "You cannot get the iPhone here if you are an existing customer. You must go to an Apple store."

This kinda makes sense and also doesn't. I went to another ATT store and they said you could get it anywhere no matter what, but the employees didn't know which store would or wouldn't get them, and that an Apple store would be best (minus all the lines).

Is there any truth to all this?

Sorry if this has been covered a million times before...I haven't been around recently. My bad! Im just starting to freak out!

Thanks,

Jeff

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
So Im finally in California. I went to the nearest Beverly Hills ATT store, and they said "You cannot get the iPhone here if you are an existing customer. You must go to an Apple store."

This kinda makes sense and also doesn't. I went to another ATT store and they said you could get it anywhere no matter what, but the employees didn't know which store would or wouldn't get them, and that an Apple store would be best (minus all the lines).

Is there any truth to all this?

Sorry if this has been covered a million times before...I haven't been around recently. My bad! Im just starting to freak out!

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, do not go to an AT&T store around here. If you are an existing AT&T customer under contract, you will be turned away, like I have been. Unlike other cities, LA is surrounded by several Apple stores. Go to one of the many Apple stores around here. Your best bet is either the Beverly Center, Century City or The Grove. The Grove will be the busiest but will have the most iPhones. Get there by noon and you should be set.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Oh and there will be people here who will tell you that they are wrong, call 611 or they have emails from customer service contradicting this. Just keep in mind that at the end of the day, it will be up to the store and its employees to sell you the phone, not what some email saids. And if they say no, it's no.

If you're serious about getting the iPhone, forget AT&T and go to one of the Apple stores.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Oh and there will be people here who will tell you that they are wrong, call 611 or they have emails from customer service contradicting this. Just keep in mind that at the end of the day, it will be up to the store and its employees to sell you the phone, not what some email saids. And if they say no, it's no.

If you're serious about getting the iPhone, forget AT&T and go to one of the Apple stores.
I agree with Mav. I think the store you spoke to is wrong, but I agree with him by stating you should just go to an Apple Store.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Jeff, do not go to an AT&T store around here. If you are an existing AT&T customer under contract, you will be turned away, like I have been. Unlike other cities, LA is surrounded by several Apple stores. Go to one of the many Apple stores around here. Your best bet is either the Beverly Center, Century City or The Grove. The Grove will be the busiest but will have the most iPhones. Get there by noon and you should be set.
So I guess that means down here in Baton Rouge, you're pretty much screwed if you're a current customer, since there are no Apple stores here?
Does that sound about right?

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
So I guess that means down here in Baton Rouge, you're pretty much screwed if you're a current customer, since there are no Apple stores here?
Does that sound about right?
I didn't say that either. I was responding to Jeff's specific situation, not meant to be taken as a generalization. Different AT&T stores are telling different things to different people.

This is the situation in Los Angeles/Hollywood/Beverly Hills where the demand will be extremely high.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Agreed MAV

If you're worried your ATT store will not sell you an iPhone if you're already an ATT customer....call your store. They are all different. I called my store and they assured me they didn't care if I already had a contract or not they will sell to everyone.

mward43

Jun 25, 2007
i must say, i've been pumped about the iPhone for months now and somehow just now stumbled upon this forum. I have read at least an hours worth of posts then finally decided to make one of my own. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who posted useful information and hints it has only made me even more excited. But I do have one quick question, I saw talk about the demand in the LA/Hollywood area but i'm down in Dallas, Texas. Is there anyone here from around North Dallas, or anyone at all, who may have an idea as to what to expect around here demand wise? I was planning on getting to my local AT&T store early before they opened until Apple dropped that 6 PM bomb on us. I've decided i'm just gonna go to the Apple store for it now but can anyone help me out on when I should show up to get inline?

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
My advice is to stop asking questions of AT&T employees. They clearly know nothing, yet have an inability not to make stuff up.

It is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. Like lying is a corporate mandate when they don't know the answer to something.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
My advice is to stop asking questions of AT&T employees. They clearly know nothing, yet have an inability not to make stuff up.

It is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. Like lying is a corporate mandate when they don't know the answer to something.
Especially bizarre when some of the lies are negative, hurting their potential sale. Usually they'll say anything to get you to buy it, not turn you away with misinformation.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Mav, the only thing is...I'll be at work (its my first week so Im NOT calling in) until 6. So I pretty much probably won't be able to get a phone in BHills. Im going to go to Century City when I get off of work. I guess thats the choice I have to make, work or the iPhone. I'll live I suppose if I don't have it the first day, but I'll still try. The guy at the ATT store was a complete douche, but maybe I can give him a sob story and try to wrangle one out of him. Glad to hear it is up to the store and not total policy, maybe I can pull a miracle.

Thanks for the help/advice and I hope you of all get one on release day!