More Rumors-New Features...Too Good to be True?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
The last interview I read claimed that they were not discussing the rebate at that time meaning it could still be being talked over.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Wow! Great link! Of course it is all rumor, speculation, and reports from anonymous sources, but this is a very reasonable list.

More memory is a definite possibility and would be a smart move. Not sure it'll happen at first but it could!

User replaceable battery is a must. It wasn't clear one way or another in the keynote but this has to be possible especially after all of the flack the iPod has received over this issue.

Wireless N (802.11n) would be awesome. I was just thinking about this during another discussion about syncing. I don't see why they couldn't do this easily.

Including a variation of iWork has to be in the works, letting you at least view various file formats. I can see variations of iTunes and iPhoto (which we already know about) but doubt we'd see the rest of iLife.

iTunes streaming seems so "duh" since this is already done in the Apple TV. That would be a very cool feature.

iTunes Store has to be coming to other devices sooner rather than later. This item seems to confirm that this is the direction Apple will be headed since it should be on the Apple TV before long, so why not on the iPhone. It would only increase the number of purchases.

Let's hope! :laugh2:

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I agree that most, if not all, of the features mentioned on the blog will eventually make it into the iPhone. I would be amazed though if more than 1 or 2 of them are actually in version 1. As you said, until we know for sure we can hope :laugh2:.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
4 and 8 gig?! There’s more Memory!
Apple has been pretty consistent with shipping the same product (with the same specs) they announced. There will be 4 and 8 GB models—nothing less, nothing more. Of course we'd all welcome more memory and/or lower prices but don't hold your breath.

User Replacable Battery
The iPhone may as well be the prototype for future iPod models and no iPod has ever had a replaceable battery.

Wireless N Support - The iPhone features a wireless chipset, which includes draft-N support. Nothing more to say here.
How do they know which chipset it uses? Further, according to the FCC documents, they only approved the iPhone up to 2.4 Ghz (802.11n uses up to 5 Ghz which is partially how it transfers faster). If it does support 802.11n, only a part of the standard would be supported.

Software - The iPhone variation of iWork will feature word processing, spreadsheets, and a slideshow viewer.
Anything software is easily changeable and most users would welcome being able to at least open Excel or Word documents on the iPhone. Since there's plenty of (clueless?) users who use M$ .doc format for attachments, I wouldn't be surprised if a universal reader was included (such as Preview but also incorporated TexEdit's Word support). You're not going to type up your thesis on an iPhone though... which is why a full-blown word processing application won't be necessary.

iTunes Streaming
Being able to connect via AirTunes would be cool... stream to/from the built-in wifi around the house. Bonjour chatting would be awesome. If a couple of your buddies in the same room all have iPhones, you could instant message each other quickly without having to go through the network.

iTunes Store
I doubt this will be included at launch but I wouldn't be surprised if were added later as an add-on. A stripped-down iTunes might not be out of the question...

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Nice job, Spin! The pins get set up and you knock 'em down! Love it.

And I think you're probably right on target on all these.

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
I think that this was a great find. I don't know how much, or if any is true. yet I know we are all hoping. I to found something kind of interesting. it was where someone from google was talking about more features in the iPhone that were not shared in the keynote. this would explain why google was able to release google maps for other smartphones. Yet I am sure it still did not make Apple to happy when they saw google maps for Windows Mobile. So I think we might see more than we think of Google on the iPhone. What do you all think?Sorry I can't remember where I saw the link? I will try to find it again.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I think that this was a great find. I don't know how much, or if any is true. yet I know we are all hoping. I to found something kind of interesting. it was where someone from google was talking about more features in the iPhone that were not shared in the keynote. this would explain why google was able to release google maps for other smartphones. Yet I am sure it still did not make Apple to happy when they saw google maps for Windows Mobile. So I think we might see more than we think of Google on the iPhone. What do you all think?Sorry I can't remember where I saw the link? I will try to find it again.
This story is on the front page of EI ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
May 6, 2007
United States
Cool, good article. I also found this one, which links to many sites that contain rumors like the rebate stuff.

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/iPhone

I know this seems like a newb question, but could anyone tell me how to make the link say something other than the URL, like you did, Wot? I know how to do this on other kinds of forums, but I am not sure how this one works with that stuff. Thanks.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I know this seems like a newb question, but could anyone tell me how to make the link say something other than the URL, like you did, Wot? I know how to do this on other kinds of forums, but I am not sure how this one works with that stuff. Thanks.
It is easy. Just type the text as you want it to appear. Then select the text that you want to be a link. Finally click on the "Insert Link" button (blue circle with some white lines in it above the editing window) and paste your link in the window that pops up.

May 6, 2007
United States
It is easy. Just type the text as you want it to appear. Then select the text that you want to be a link. Finally click on the "Insert Link" button (blue circle with some white lines in it above the editing window) and paste your link in the window that pops up.
Cool, thanks a lot :laugh2:. Lemme try it :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Cool, good article. I also found this one, which links to many sites that contain rumors like the rebate stuff.

http://the.taoofmac.com/space/iPhone

Not too much on there from the last month or so.:(

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
So what is 'Wireless N Support?' It says "The iPhone features a wireless chipset, which includes draft-N support."

So what is this exactly?

May 31, 2007
As far as 802.11n I don't think the software will be able to handle the speed. It would be good for file transfers but I don't think it would speed up the browser.

I'd like to see some sort of video out (not just mov files) if thats not already a feature. It would be cool to run keynote presentations from the phone to a projector...