More Sercurity In the Future

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
My phone was stolen a few weeks ago and there is nothing AT&T or APPLE can do. I think it's sickening that someone can steal your phone & the makers & service providers could care less. What could APPLE do (if they wanted to) to protect iPhone owners from theft?

something like a disable button so the thief cant activate it. Or a way to track it via 3G? maybe even a 3rd party app?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Remote wiping- Which is in 2.0

Im not sure if it just deletes all the information, or if it completely deletes everything like the firmware and stuff so the phone can be used.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Id actually like to see a self destruct feature to terroristically blow up the person who stole my V1 lol

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The new 2.0 software supports remote wipe. I'm not sure exactly how this is implemented, but it is made for this very purpose. It's a shame you couldn't have had your phone stolen just a feeeew weeks later... :(

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Im just glad ATT didn't change my plan when my suspended my line for 2 days.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
actually, yeah... youd think that with all the technology it has and the gps and whatnot that youd be able to say, log in to a computer and track your iPhone... now that would be kick ass and no ones iPhone would get stolen again

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
actually, yeah... youd think that with all the technology it has and the gps and whatnot that youd be able to say, log in to a computer and track your iPhone... now that would be kick ass and no ones iPhone would get stolen again
ya know! You are so right. We should be able to track it from our homes and the cops could track the thief right to his hide out. How thats would win over a new group of iPhone users

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Nokia had/has these phone that when stolen the phone will send out a "Im stolen" signal/message and fry itself to not working :)
-I thinks thats cool, but at the same time that Nokia ;)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, it is reasonably crap that they can't do anything. In times past, they locked the ESN out so that no one could use the phone ever again. They would also have their systems alert if the ESN showed up and give the police info on which cell tower it was on, etc. I guess now they'd rather have another paying customer.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well, it is reasonably crap that they can't do anything. In times past, they locked the ESN out so that no one could use the phone ever again. They would also have their systems alert if the ESN showed up and give the police info on which cell tower it was on, etc. I guess now they'd rather have another paying customer.
Haha!:p That is something I'd expect from Microsoft:p
-Apple probably thinking "well maybe that person didn't deserve their iPhone, plus they were behind on their bills every month" LOL!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I believe that the remote wipe feature is only available to you if your Exchange Server is set up on the iPhone.

Also, what the implementation of GPS in iPhone 3G, there may very be an app available that will allow you track it.

- John

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
My phone was stolen a few weeks ago and there is nothing AT&T or APPLE can do. I think it's sickening that someone can steal your phone & the makers & service providers could care less. What could APPLE do (if they wanted to) to protect iPhone owners from theft?

something like a disable button so the thief cant activate it. Or a way to track it via 3G? maybe even a 3rd party app?
was it stolen or did you lose it? how did they steal it? Try this website. hope it helps

http://ifoundyouriPhone.com/