More than nine homescreens in 3.0?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I haven't tried to push the limit yet since last time I tried when my extra apps got pushed to the mythical and inaccessible 10th homescreen.

Has Apple finally allowed this? If not, I predict Apple will lose millions to regular App Store shoppers who love spending and are willing to keep shopping around the 27,000 app selection, but have pushed to the bottom right of the ninth homescreen and are discouraged at having to constantly part with apps they'd rather keep, and certainly have the space for it.

It was easy to make fun of those who had filled the 148 app slots in their home screens back when there were only 1,000 apps (although I never felt it was necessary), but now that there are 27,000 apps for purchase, 148 slots seems ridiculous.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i agree, id also like to see a way to manage them through iTunes

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
From what I have read...9 pages is still the limit.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I try to keep it around 3.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm on my 3rd page, including the default one that comes on every iPhone.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
being able to set them to certain pages, would be a good idea, as whenever you change settings. My apps seem to move around the screen and end up on different pages!

So.. being able to sort them through iTunes would be brilliant. You could assign them to different pages before even syncing

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I was not able to create more than 9 pages so the limit still appears to be there.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Makes no financial sense for Apple to limit app purchases.
BUT if not corrected you always have 5 row icon app, and categories when we jailbreak 3.0 in a few months

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
You've heard my opinion of Categories, right? And 5 icons per row just looks cramped to me (although I do like the 5 icon dock).
True...it is a dissapointing option. But it's the only option. Apple won't fix it and nobody else has taken on a similar project.

I would love an option to just click 'Games' and be taken to a Games-specific Springboard...etc. I think it's totally feasible for Apple to allow this on their own yet they don't. But hey, we've waited 4+(?) yrs just to have an MMS option that's been available for 8+ yrs...there are just some things you expect from Apple and customer requests seem to be sorely looked at seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
True...it is a dissapointing option. But it's the only option. Apple won't fix it and nobody else has taken on a similar project.
It is very disappointing (and strange) that no one else has taken on a similar project. I would pay $10 for a nicely written categories app.

I would love an option to just click 'Games' and be taken to a Games-specific Springboard...etc. I think it's totally feasible for Apple to allow this on their own yet they don't. But hey, we've waited 4+(?) yrs just to have an MMS option that's been available for 8+ yrs...there are just some things you expect from Apple and customer requests seem to be sorely looked at seriously.
With all the new features in 3.0 beta, I was surprised there was no better solution for app organization. (By the way, it's only been a little under 2 years, iPhone V1 came out June 29, 2007 :))

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
You don't need app organization with spotlight. You guys must be windows users ;)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Yes you do. What if you want to play a game? Typing "Games" in Spotlight doesn't work.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yes you do. What if you want to play a game? Typing "Games" in Spotlight doesn't work.
True, if you don't know the name of the game you want to play. Just start typing the name of the game you want in spotlight and you will find it.

The thought of no organization on my home screens (spotlight or not) would get to me. I only have 3 pages of apps (and the 4th for the unused Apple apps) so with organization I can get to what I want much quicker than I can slide to spotlight and type the name of the app. Spotlight is useful to me for other things though, I just have to get used to using it.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Beta 2 now allows 11 homescreen instead of 9.

Last edited by a moderator: