Most aftermarket headphones don't work with iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
Very disappointed to find out that because the way Apple designed the input for the headphones on the iPhone, most aftermarket headphones won't work. My $40 dollar phillips headphones are now worthless, great....The only phones that will work are those with a straight plastic piece at the end, the ones with a 90 degree angle for the plug will not go all the way into the jack on the iPhone. For a 600 dollar phone there sure seems to be a lot of issues increasing by the day....

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Very disappointed to find out that because the way Apple designed the input for the headphones on the iPhone, most aftermarket headphones won't work. My $40 dollar phillips headphones are now worthless, great....The only phones that will work are those with a straight plastic piece at the end, the ones with a 90 degree angle for the plug will not go all the way into the jack on the iPhone. For a 600 dollar phone there sure seems to be a lot of issues increasing by the day....

Now you get to spend 40$ MORE, on an apple-branded pair of headphones! yay!
I got a pair of headphones that retail for around 150$. Doesn't make 'em work with the iPhone any better. lol

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
There is an adapter already out for the iPhone that will make any headphones work.

direktor

Jun 26, 2007
I think they did this because the headphone jack on the iPhone is not quite a regular 1/8th headphone jack...it actually has an extra contact for the microphone that, if inserted with a regular TRS headphone jack, might create a minor shorting situation.

The question would then become, why did they feel compelled to use this jack rather than some custom job?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
What a coincidence. Apple purposely makes the phone this way so you're forced to buy another Apple product.
Or they did do it to address one of the problems with the iPod headphone jack.

They recessed it to give it more strength.

Don't buy the belkin on at the Apple store for 9.99

This is 99 cent part at a local electronics store.