Most important aspects of an iPhone case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by chris, Mar 8, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Taking an informal poll. When looking to purchase a case for the iPhone, what are the most important aspects? Is it price, design, quality, something else. What's most important to you?

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

For me, it's a ratio of protection:bulk. The higher that ratio is, the better the case is. As far as design, the most minimal is generally my taste.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Considering the value of the device it is meant to protect, the price of a case goes toward the bottom of the list for me...to some extent. To me it's protection over style, function over fashion. To these ends, quality and design can go hand in hand to offer both top tier protection, smooth function, as well as a sleek sense of style in one Lifeproof case. Not the most expensive case but worth every penny for the return IMHO. So quality, design, then price for me. Good thread subject.

4. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Me, I'd like a metal (ideally) bumper style case that mimics the shape and lines of the phone. A back is optional. But if the phone has flat sides the bumper does as well, it would be taller top and bottom (or front and back) perhaps 1mm to elevate slightly the phone.

That's it.

And, in reality it would cost a fortune, but in my mind the price is not crazy (makers take note, please).

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think most people rank protection first. This is why the LifeProof and Otterbox cases are so popular. Some people want protection at low cost, so they compromise a little bit of quality and style and go with Chinese knockoff cases. Many of the people who rank style over protection often just go caseless, but some of them have empty hearts and full purses and will spend nearly $200 on a stylish aluminum bumper case that only offers minimal protection. :)

6. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

+1
    Well said

Sent using iCafe app

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely I look for cases that are best for protection. Style and designs are nice, however one should also remember that a used but brand new looking iPhone will sell for much more.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Jeepinkj

Jeepinkj Member
    Bronze

I go for protection price doesn't matter phones aren't cheap so I don't wanna replace it during my period of owning it I love otterbox defender always have I like the built in screen protecter but I also use another one for anything that gets trapped under the case

64gb iPhone5 black

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Empty hearts and full purses? I like that.

10. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

Protection then style. Lifeproof all the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I want some protection, but I'm not willing to have a huge, bulky case such as an Otter. I try to find a case that is thin, yet still offers some protection.

12. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Really digging the Mophie Helium on the 5 and not having to jack in a few times during the day, but coming from a Lifeproofed 4S, I find I'm obsessing a bit about being careful.
    A close eye towards the Atlas.

Now if I could just get extra power in a waterproof case...

13. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

Now your on to something...

14. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

Build quality & customer service = big part!

15. Jennifer Chesney

Jennifer Chesney New Member

I think most importantly is price and quality. You are going to want to get the most for your money you spend. I wouldn't want to spend $50 on a case and drop my phone once and have the case crack on me. I would also look into a case that has a front piece for the phone as well. So if you drop it face down accidentally the ridge with hit the floor first saving the screen from cracking. I really like speck cases because they are durable and reasonably priced.

16. mango44

mango44 Member
    Bronze

I look for price and quality. And the price better be worth the quality. Also style is important to me too.

17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

18. mango44

mango44 Member
    Bronze

Fish lip flavor?! I don't know... that sounds pretty disgusting. And what keeps this from catching lint, dirt and all sorts of nasties?

19. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

How it fits accessories like my car dock, cables, earphones, audio plugs, etc. if I have to take the case off in order to use the features I bought the phone for, the case does me no good.

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That's happen to me on more than a few occasions. Even basics, like connecting my headphone jack. Of course, it's bulkier than most, but still annoying. I should probably shop for a skinny headphone adapter.