Most recommended speaker system for 3G?

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I am new to the iPhone and have been looking around for a speaker system with built in dock for my livingroom. Anybody have any advice on what to get for my new iPhone 3G?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I am new to the iPhone and have been looking around for a speaker system with built in dock for my livingroom. Anybody have any advice on what to get for my new iPhone 3G?
My little bit of research has shown that the Klipsch SXT sounds good for the money and seems to be pretty immune to static from the phone (not so the earlier Klipsch systems - beware). The Bose systems also sound good, but for more money and haven't tested for interference resistance. By far, the B&W (Bowers and Wilkens) Zeppelin is the best piece of kit available in the world however. It seems pretty resistant to interference, is very well built, and sounds like a proper home stereo system. You'll pay for it tho.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
My little bit of research has shown that the Klipsch SXT sounds good for the money and seems to be pretty immune to static from the phone (not so the earlier Klipsch systems - beware). The Bose systems also sound good, but for more money and haven't tested for interference resistance. By far, the B&W (Bowers and Wilkens) Zeppelin is the best piece of kit available in the world however. It seems pretty resistant to interference, is very well built, and sounds like a proper home stereo system. You'll pay for it tho.
I found a set of the Klipsche on ebay. igroove SXT. Are these the right speakers? Doesn't say whether they are compatible with iPhone. I looked up the bowers and wilkins on Apple.com and they did not show compatibility with iPhone either

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I found a set of the Klipsche on ebay. igroove SXT. Are these the right speakers? Doesn't say whether they are compatible with iPhone. I looked up the bowers and wilkins on Apple.com and they did not show compatibility with iPhone either
No there are very very few systems that proclaim to be compatible with the iPhone. All of these systems I've mentioned above will pop up that annoying message saying they aren't compatible and ask if you want to go into airplane mode to avoid interference. But my experience has been that there is actually a lot of variation in the amount of resistance to that interference. The original Klipsch iGroove is virtually unlistenable without using airplane mode. The newer iGroove SXT seems to display no interference at all. I think that manufacturers are doing more these days to shield their components from radio interference, but are stopping short of proclaiming them compatible for whatever reason.

With the 3G there also is an issue with charging. Some units will now cause a popup saying that they will not charge the iPhone. But some don't cause it. This one I haven't researched and have no clue about.

Bottom line - do what I've done and test each prospective unit yourself.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
No there are very very few systems that proclaim to be compatible with the iPhone. All of these systems I've mentioned above will pop up that annoying message saying they aren't compatible and ask if you want to go into airplane mode to avoid interference. But my experience has been that there is actually a lot of variation in the amount of resistance to that interference. The original Klipsch iGroove is virtually unlistenable without using airplane mode. The newer iGroove SXT seems to display no interference at all. I think that manufacturers are doing more these days to shield their components from radio interference, but are stopping short of proclaiming them compatible for whatever reason.

With the 3G there also is an issue with charging. Some units will now cause a popup saying that they will not charge the iPhone. But some don't cause it. This one I haven't researched and have no clue about.

Bottom line - do what I've done and test each prospective unit yourself.
I have no problem using the airplane mode when I use the speakers. So I should be good in airplane mode, right?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I have no problem using the airplane mode when I use the speakers. So I should be good in airplane mode, right?
Sure, should work fine. Another way to get around interference tho is to connect to the speakers with a cable. Not elegant tho.