Mother load of iPhone issues !

laurence.sorbello

Jul 17, 2009
I have an iPhone which does similar things, it asks for password on entering app store, but I understand thats because of pending downloads.

I had an iPhone 3g with Optus Australia.
I got a second contract recently with the iPhone 3gs put my sim card in it and gave my sister my old iPhone 3g with the new sim card from new contract. It seems ever since Optus opened up their tethering capabilities I have been having issues downloading applications from the app store through both phones. They are both reaching the moment when it would install the application, then the progress bar starts again and it continues to loop until the error message saying, unable to download application, please download from iTunes (computer). If I use the iPhone with tethering to try and download from iTunes it fails to work as well, faults out right at the end with errors like error -100000...

Now,, if I download app through wifi connection on phone it will always work fine on both handsets. (the same with iTunes on computer)

If I start the download on the phone through 3g, pause it, turn off the phone, and then restart the phone and download, it works fine through 3g.

Now I know what your thinking, handset right, hmmm, why on two different iPhones 3g/3gs. also if I put my iTunes store account on telstra iPhone 3gs or 3g apps download fine so nothing to do with app store account I think.

Other sim cards from optus inserted into my phone also have the same effect, and after inserting someone elses sim card in my phone, they started having similar issues once returning their sim card to their iPhone.

I have talked to Apple for 1 hr / iTunes x 10 emails / Optus x 5 times + sim replacement and 3hrs trouble shooting in store. I would send my phone away, but I just cannot accept this issue is hardware related as happening on both my phones, first on the 3g at date of optus tethering release, and then problem continued with both devices once purchased.

My first child will be given to the genius that can string this issue up, I actually work in tech faults for an Australian Carrier, and this issue is just about sending me crazy... thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you having these issues with Apps that are less than 10 MB? Apps greater than 10 MB must be downloaded over WiFi on the phone or on the computer.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
If Oz allows tethering, you could always plug your iPhone in to tether and download that way through your laptop then sync. Im aware this isn't very practical, but its a work around if you have your laptop with you traveling.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Something just makes me want to tell you to try a new sim chip in each phone.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I hate to say it, but sounds like you need software restores in both cases. As in, not from a backup, but as a new phone. There could be some corruption as a result of all the SIM swapping. That stiff can really screw you up, especially if you take it out while connected.

laurence.sorbello

Jul 17, 2009
I have done multiple restores, and I noted in fault that I had tethered phone to computer and its failed. I mean, I can get apps in a number of ways, It just really bugs me when the iPhone isn't working fully.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Oh, I have tried others sims in my phone, maybe works for one app then faults out again..
NEW sims from your carrier, or just "other" sims from around the shed?

Because in your OP you just said other sims from Optus. Curious if they were indeed new.

All other things considered, your carrier's BW may be fooked at the tower sites.

laurence.sorbello

Jul 17, 2009
I have tried numerous different iPhone sims from optus and friends. What is weird is once I put my friends sim card in, since then he has been having similar issues with his phone.. weird...