Moto S9 as both Headphones & Headset?

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
Hi All,

I'm trying to use the Motorola S9 stereo headset both for calls and for stereo audio from my iPhone. I've read all the posts I could find on this topic and tried everything that I found without any luck.

I have a Sony BT adapter dongle (model TMR-BT6iP) and the iPhone has the current 1.1.3 firmware. I can connect the S9 to the iPhone's built-in BT to use as a headset OR I can connect the S9 to the Sony dongle to use as stereo headphones. The S9 works well in either case, but will not connect to both the iPhone's built-in BT & to the Sony adapter's external BT and thus switch between calls and music. The S9 manual implies that it can do this, and many posts in the forums also claim it will worth this way.

I've read that one should pair the S9 to the iPhone first (as a headset) and then to the Sony adapter second (as headphones). That didn't make a difference. If listening to music, the S9's won't do anything on the "phone" side, and vice versa.

The S9's actually sound pretty good when connected to the Sony adapter until such time as the iPhone's BT stack is updated. However, it's really inconvenient to take off the S9's and put the phone to my head if a call comes in while I'm listening to music.

Anyone have advise?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I use the S9s and they are excellent.

Firstly, delete your pairing on the iPhone.
Turn off bluetooth.
Plug in adaptor and pair with S9.
Remove adaptor.
Turn off S9
Turn on BT, then S9
Pair them.
Plug in adaptor.
Enjoy.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I forgot to add that there are counterfeit copies of Motorola S9s around.

I bought an original Motorola set and then another set from EBay - similar but not the same.

At first glance they looked genuine but sound quality was appauling and the mouldings were very second rate.

I did manage to get a refund. They also refunded my potsage without quibbling rather than have me make a fuss I guess.

Beware S9 buyers.

dolo

Jun 29, 2007
NYC
Please list whether this functions.

Also,

The sony bluetooth dongle you are using - this is the new one and on the site it looks absolutely tiny. Would it be possible to post a picture of the iPhone with the sony dongle attached to it?

This would be MUCH appreciated.

Many thanks.

dolo

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
Sony BT Dongle

The Sony BT dongle is really tiny and light. Attached is a photo of it plugged into my iPhone. Funny how it looks bigger than it is. I've seen much less expensive dongles out there but they are all nearly 2x the size of this one.

Attachments

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
I use the S9s and they are excellent.

Firstly, delete your pairing on the iPhone.
Turn off bluetooth.
Plug in adaptor and pair with S9.
Remove adaptor.
Turn off S9
Turn on BT, then S9
Pair them.
Plug in adaptor.
Enjoy.
Followed the above steps and still no luck. The S9 is connected to the iPhone as a headset and refuses to connect to the dongle to play music after doing the above steps. Unpairing the S9 from the iPhone and rebooting the headset then re-connects to the dongle and music plays, but alas, no phone use.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
From the picture, I would say the iCombi (although wider) is shorter than the Sony.

And it works with the S9 for both phone and A3DP simultaneously.

I can also connect to my PC to use the handsfree profile of the S9 for Skype and use the A2DP for listening to the iPhone iPod.

I don't understand why yours doesn't work. When searching with my PC the S9 is seen and shows up 3 profiles: Headset, Handsfree, and A2DP.

Try searching with a PC and see what the S9 is sending out for pairing.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Yes, that is correct.

The only caveat is that you must control all from the headset. If you 'mix and match' controlling from iPhone and headset it sometimes gets confused.

Feb 12, 2008
Rip is saying right, There wold be confusion if u control all that from headset.

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
Ergonomics of the S9?

Hi All,

While I love the S9's in concept, being a Usability professional, I cannot help but wonder what rocket scientist at Moto thought that it would be good to put capacitive buttons on a blind control surface. The Play/Pause and Phone buttons are tactile in that they have to physically travel to actuate, but the volume buttons and Next/Previous buttons take the slightest touch to activate, but the user cannot see any of these buttons and must rely on touch to find them. Not smart. Nice headphones otherwise :cool:

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hi All,

While I love the S9's in concept, being a Usability professional, I cannot help but wonder what rocket scientist at Moto thought that it would be good to put capacitive buttons on a blind control surface. The Play/Pause and Phone buttons are tactile in that they have to physically travel to actuate, but the volume buttons and Next/Previous buttons take the slightest touch to activate, but the user cannot see any of these buttons and must rely on touch to find them. Not smart. Nice headphones otherwise :cool:
I really like the buttons :s LOL
Did you ever resolve this problem GadgeTT?

sadromeo

Aug 18, 2008
gadgeTT, I am not sure if you solved this or not but I got the moto S9 headphones to work as headset and headphones.

I am using the SONY TMR-BT8iP adapter.

I also followed the same instructions you did and it also did not work for me either.

However, this is what I did different:

1. Paired the S9 to iPhone as headset.
2. Paired the S9 to SonyTMR adapter as headphones.
3. Did NOT unplug the Sony adapter but turned it off.
4. Unpaired the S9 from the iPhone (headset)
5. Paired the S9 to the iPhone as a headset again.

Then it worked as both.

I hope this works for you or anyone else trying to enjoy the iPhone 3g with bluetooth headphones that can be as a bluetooth headset.

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
Hi All,

I really like the control scheme. It's easy to get used to. volume up/down on the left, skip next/prev on the right. Using the phone or play/pause button as the guide, it's very intuitive in the long run. Also the touch sensitive buttons really work for volume controls, my old HT-820's had buttons for them and it was a pain to make large adjustments.

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
I really like the control scheme. It's easy to get used to. volume up/down on the left, skip next/prev on the right. Using the phone or play/pause button as the guide, it's very intuitive in the long run. Also the touch sensitive buttons really work for volume controls, my old HT-820's had buttons for them and it was a pain to make large adjustments.
I have no issues with the placement or organization of the buttons. The problem I have is that the non-touch-sensitive buttons (phone and play/pause) are only able to be located by blindly touching touch-sensitive buttons (next/prev and vol +/-). Not a great design from a usability point-of-view. The reverse would have been OK, though.

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
gadgeTT, I am not sure if you solved this or not but I got the moto S9 headphones to work as headset and headphones.

I am using the SONY TMR-BT8iP adapter.

I also followed the same instructions you did and it also did not work for me either.

However, this is what I did different:

1. Paired the S9 to iPhone as headset.
2. Paired the S9 to SonyTMR adapter as headphones.
3. Did NOT unplug the Sony adapter but turned it off.
4. Unpaired the S9 from the iPhone (headset)
5. Paired the S9 to the iPhone as a headset again.

Then it worked as both.

I hope this works for you or anyone else trying to enjoy the iPhone 3g with bluetooth headphones that can be as a bluetooth headset.
thanks - I think it worked, although I got a ton of audio break-up. Guess I'll keep trying but I still can't understand why Apple would put a BT transmitter in an iPod (or iPhone) and NOT enable A2DP. Sure, it may suck down the batteries, but so does 3G. Let he user decide if they want to enable the trade-off by putting in a switch to enable/disable A2DP if they want... Oh well. Thanks again for the help!

ofiredri

Dec 7, 2008
USA
lakerda.com
Guys, I'm unable to make it to work . I tried both suggestions .
This is again what I tried with no luck .

My setup is iPhone 3G + Moto S9 + Jabra A125s Adapter .

1. Deleted all pairings .
2. Paired the S9 to iPhone as headset. Redialed from S9 successfuly .
3. Connected the A125s to iPhone and paired with S9 . Music immediately started playing through the S9 . I didn't touch any buttons in the headphones nor the iPhone .
4. Did NOT unplug the A125s adapter but turned it off.
5. Unpaired the S9 from the iPhone (headset)
6. Turned off S9, turned on in pairing mode . Paired with iPhone successfuly .
7. Turned on the adapter, pressed Redial (long press on the left button on the headset) . Redialed successfuly .
8. Pressed the Play (right main button on the headphones) button on the headphones . No response . Not playing music . Tried the same from the iPhone itself with no luck .

I tried Rip's and sadromeo's steps 3 times with no luck .

What am I missing ?