Mountain Lion Bootable USB Drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by llrickman, Oct 6, 2012.

1. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Can someone post the steps to creating a USB bootable disk for Mountain Lion. I made one for the last OS X but i don't remember how i did it

Thanks

Im going to purchase a 1TB HD for my mac. My 250gb is full so it would be greatly appreciated

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Do you mean you want to install ML onto an external hard drive and boot into it? It's easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy :)

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

5. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

What size thumb drive will i need for it? I have a few but don't wanna use one bigger than what i need

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

8 GB.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

8Gb flash drives are so unbelievably cheap nowadays, you can get them from eBay or Amazon. If you have a external hard drive you could use that, if you wanted too.

8. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Thanks everyone

9. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Ok i don't wanna sound like a dummy here . I have had Mt Lion installed since the day it came out. Where do i find that .dmg file to make this boot disk?

Ive looked and cant find it

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have to do this after downloading but before installing Mountain Lion since the install file deletes itself after installation. Unfortunately, you'll need to download the large file again if you want to make a boot drive at this point.

11. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Well dang , i really don't wanna have to do that at this point. My blazing 1mps internet my In laws have here would take forever ,

Let me ask you this,
    If i replace my HD (my 250gb is full )and i want to replace it with a 1TB. If everything is backed up to Time Machine i can restore the new HD from there i understand but i will STILL need a bootable disk to get to that point when i replace it wont I ?

well i guess i can try that download while im at Jury duty this week let it download while im gone.

Can i download Mt Lion again from the App store without any problems since i have already purchased it?

My disk's that came with my Mac are packed in my Pod still and i cant access them But even then that's Lion not Mt Lion

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

As long as you install Mountain Lion onto your machine first, you can then apply the TimeMachine Backup.

Yes you can, it's the same with everything from Apple. Once you buy it, it's yours forever even if you delete it.

I'm not quite sure what you actually mean here?

13. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

my install disk for lion that came with my macbook

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you'll need to download it again. It will be free this time.

15. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

16. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm in the process of upgrading my Spring 2011 MBP from 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to ML. Over thinking my needs, I bought a 1 TB Thunderbolt external and just created my USB installer/boot drive this afternoon. I've downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and am planning to clone my installed drive shortly. I only just realized that I didn't need a full TB unit since I've only used about 1/3 of my 500GB internal drive but I'm trying to future-proof this whole thing since I also purchased an AirPort Extreme in hopes of a promised birthday gift of an AppleTV. AirPlay Baby! Now, I have to decide if I should partition the TB external for net storage/image hosting or just "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead ..."

Film at 11:00 ....

Sent using iCafe app