Mountain Lion Issues/Oddities

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I thought I would start a thread for Mountain Lion issues or oddities we may want to share with others...

I've uncovered two thus far, so feel free to share any thoughts or insights on either one.

I'm going to post two messages rather than cramming both events into a single message, because I'm including one or more exhibits with posts, and I don't want to get the messages to get too cluttered.

The first issue happens when I send an iMessage to myself, from my iMac to my iPhone, and I choose my own phone number instead of my Apple ID as the recipient.

I'm already aware that when you send an iMessage from a Mac to an iPhone, your "caller ID" is your Apple ID and not your phone number. The Mac has no idea what your phone number is, and currently there's no way to change that. This means you will end up creating two separate threads on the recipient's iPhone if the recipient doesn't have both your phone number and Apple ID linked to your contact card on his or her phone. This in and of itself is an issue which I hope gets improved upon.

But when I send the iMessage to myself, it indeed creates two threads on my iPhone immediately (even though I have both my phone number and Apple ID linked to my own contact card), but one of the threads is completely blank. I would expect one thread to be created with the "sent" iMessage (from my Apple ID) and a separate thread with the same content as the "received" message (addressed to my phone number).

Exhibit A - Messages.app on my Mac, showing the iMessage I sent to my phone number. You may ignore the first line ("test").

exa.jpg

Exhibit B - The Messages screen on my iPhone, with both threads created as a result of the action depicted in Exhibit A:

exb.jpg

Exhibit C - Tapping on the first message listed in the Messages screen reveals the text I sent, and this is obviously the "sent" message (notice the delivery receipt), which is mirrored on my iPhone per the expected behavior:

exc.jpg

Exhibit D - Tapping on the second message listed in the Messages screen revels a blank message, when in fact, it should reveal the text I sent (the "received" version of it).

exd.jpg

Any ideas?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The second issue I've encountered on Mountain Lion is much easier to describe. The Updates pane of my Mac App Store says I have one update on the badge by the word "Updates". This is untrue. I've performed all the updates. I quit and relaunched Software Update but it's still happening. Here is a screenshot of my Mac App Store screen. There is nothing else for me to install, as you can see. Anybody having this issue?

Exhibit A - Screenshot of my Mac App Store screen.

1update.jpg

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If your Macintosh running ML is turned off when you receive an iMessage, then when you turn it back on, the iMessage you missed comes in (on Messages.app) and gets appended to the end of the conversation, rather than inserted into the conversation at the point in time in which it occurred...

4. Christina Verg

Christina Verg New Member

My mouse seems to randomly stop working. It starts again after a restart, but obviously it's frustrating.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Have you tried turning your mouse off and back on if Bluetooth or unplugging and replugging if USB? Obviously still frustrating but it may quicker than restarting your machine.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

6. Christina Verg

Christina Verg New Member

I'm referring to the touchpad on my MacBook. Can't exactly disable it or unplug it. Thanks though.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's a suggestion I posted in another thread:

Again, an imperfect solution, but it boils down to whether this is easier for you than rebooting your machine. Let's just hope 10.8.1 comes along fairly quickly, with a fix!

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just tried to use MSS.saver (movie screen saver) on Mountain Lion, and it isn't compatible. Does anyone know of a screen saver that plays a movie file that will work on Mountain Lion?

9. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

iTunes keeps asking me for my password with regards to automatic downloads... Quite annoying.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

My iMessages are not always being delivered at the same time to my iPhone and to my iMac. I received an iMessage at 2'ish on my iPhone, and it just made it to my iMac now, about 5 hours later. Today's 10.8.1 update did not help with this issue at all. At least the notification center is kind enough to time-stamp the iMessage with the actual time it was sent at, 2:20PM.