Mountain Lion Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Hondamaker, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Just installed it and the only thing I've played with so far is the Air Play Mirroring. I'm viewing eic on my 46" LED TV using my BT keyboard and trackpad. My iMac is behind me on my desk. Other than a slight lag, this is sweet. The picture is almost as perfect as it is on the iMac screen. It's like I have a new Apple Cinema display!

Notifications work pretty well too. Anyone else have any thoughts on the new OS X?

2. Goodtimekid

Goodtimekid Member
    Bronze

Im loving the new update but having trouble mirroring the mac to tv using latest Apple tv

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I have the latest ATV as well. What kind of trouble are you having?

4. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Can I ask a quick question? I am downloading Mountain Lion right now, how long does it normally take to install?

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Depends how fast your Internet speeds are. It's a 4.3G download. Mine took about an hour.

6. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

In my early testing, I found the notification swipe to the left inconsistent. You have to start all the way on the right of the trackpad, but even using this it's not working all the time...

7. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Ok thanks. I am about 45 min in and Im almost done. i get about 16mbs download.

8. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Been installing for 6 min. Excited

9. Goodtimekid

Goodtimekid Member
    Bronze

Mine took 30 mins

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

10. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

To install depends on your Mac. Mine took 35 minutes after about an hour download.

11. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Update: It seems that you need to start the swipe off of the touchpad (on the right side) for this to work consistently. Now its working nice. I also set up a keyboard shortcut for the Notification Center as well...

12. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I've found that if I just swipe from the right side--as close to the edge as possible--it works ok.

13. aknightstale41

Gold

The dictation is great with spot on accuracy, just double tap the "fn" button and talk....no more typing out an email when i can speak it and save a heap load of time.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Not managed to update to the full version of ML, I've used the beta's so I sort of know what to expect.

I can't wait for full blown Siri integration :)

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

So far I really like it. I haven't had the time to spend on it like I want, but this weekend I will tweek it and play around. I love iMessage and Message integration on my iMac. I've just got to get it to work seamlessly. I've got messages coming in and not coming in as quickly and then some getting skipped and too many threads on my iPad and iPhone from the same person. It's weird. I've got to make it work better.

I like the Notification area, but I have to learn more about it. I thought I would get all the Notifications on my iMac I suppose it makes no sense for App notification to display on my iMac.

I like Notes on my iMac and iPad and iPhone being the same and updated as soon as you make new ones or changes.

I appreciate how much better the updates for Numbers is. I use it to create my monthly budget and it wasn't so seamless in updating on the iPad and iPhone before, but now with iCloud being the glue, everything is updted at the same time on all three devices.

I have to get used to he new way Safari work with Google search being integrated directly into the address bar. It was a good idea.

I'm sure there are other things I have to learn that I don't know, but yes, so far I love the changes Mountain Lion brings.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Full blown Siri into ML? Is it coming?

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you happen to use Google Chrome on Mountain Lion, you may have noticed that it is in the Notification Center. What kinds of Notifications can I expect from Google Chrome? It has yet to notify me of anything. Is there a way to find out an application's various possible notifications before actually being notified of them?

As an experiment, I checked the "Warn Before Quitting" option under "Chrome". I thought this might generate an OS X notification. I then proceeded to quit Chrome. It quit suddenly--no warning, and no Notification. Okay, it does warn you. If you attempt to quit via the keyboard shortcut. It actually quits very gracefully. You are asked to hold down the keyboard shortcut, and when you do, you get a nice fade-out effect.

18. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

you have to start on the right off the track pad and work your way to the track pad to work consistently. Hope this helps

19. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I like this update. It has a lot of stuff I still have to learn

20. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I really dig the Airplay Mirroring. And having Messages on my MBP is great too. I just need to figure out how to get it to "synch" the messages between the phone and the MBP.