Move to IOS app confuses me

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by FFAP1234, Dec 17, 2015.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I am helping a friend. She is moving from a galaxy 4 to an iPhone 5. She already got an Apple ID and activated the iPhone.
    All her data is in the galaxy.

I have watched videos about " move to IOS ". According to the videos the transfer is done before the iPhone is totally ready to use. My question is; can she still use the app " move to IOS " now that her phone is already activated and functioning? Would she need to erase all and star from cero?

She doesn't know much about technology. I open her Apple ID account and got the phone all ready and sent it to South America. She added the sim card and it is working.

It will be extremely confusing to her to erase the iPhone and start it all over. Could somebody please advise me what may be her best solution? Thank you all!

#1 FFAP1234, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

She will need to reset the iPhone to factory settings if she wants to use the Move to iOS app.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/switch-to-iphone/

If she only needs the contacts, she doesn't need to use this app. She can sync them onto her iPhone through her Gmail account in the Settings app.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm not familiar with android, I know she has a hotmail email account. Is she supposed to have an gmail account already because she is using and android?

She will be coming USA to visit me in January. Maybe I should tray to help her to transfer her contacts for now and when she is here we can reset her iPhone.

I'm still confused with the gmail account you are talking about. I opened her a gmail account for her Apple ID, I know and do have access to that. It seams to me that you are implying that she already has one besides the one I opened for her, does she? All the videos I have watch talk about an gmail account.

I guess my new question is; if you own an android you also have an gmail account? Maybe she has one bedsides the one I opened for her she doesn't know about it? I'm sure who ever helped her with her galaxy did all the settings for her. Thank you Europa, I hope I'm not complicating to much, but I just never ever had to deal with androids before. All my friends have only iPhones and they also don't know about it either.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Most people with Androids have a Google (Gmail) account since the OS is Google (Android). Their contacts then sync over the air through Gmail. She can sync them through Hotmail as well. Ask her how she's syncing her contacts. She might know this and she might already have them on the iPhone. Also ask her what she needs on the iPhone that she had on the Android.

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I forgot to mention, my nephew told me he used copytrans, according to him via Bluetooth.

He said he was able transfer everything from his galaxy to an iPhone. I also watched videos about it but on the videos I found it was done thought an PC. It seems the more things I find out about it the worse understanding I have. To this point I know or it seams to me to know there are many possible ways to do it. I just don't know what will be the easiest way for me to tell her over the phone when I cant see what she is doing.

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I have been helping her, she knows nothing. She even promised me she does have wifi at home because she can get or was getting her mail in her Galaxy. She didn't know she was getting internet and email on her phone become she has internet service thought the carrier. She just doesn't get that. When she originally got her iPhone and was at her house I guided her to find her wifi. Actually the iPhone wasn't picking up any wifi signal. In other words she does not have wifi service at home.

What I do know is very important for her is whatapp. She wants to make sure she doesn't loose her contacts and all her historian conversations.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The Move to iOS app is not going to transfer her Whatsapp conversations to the new phone. I don't think there is any way to do that. She can easily transfer her contacts to the new phone, though. There are different ways to achieve this. The easiest is to toggle contacts syncing on in the email app for whatever app she used to sync them on the Android. If she doesn't know, just have her reset the phone to factory and use the Move to iOS app.

8. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

It sounds that maybe that will ended been the best. I installed on the phone music apps that we are playing on using together with a MacBook Air I also sent her. She is going to loose them all when she reset it and need to reinstall them all again including all the playlists and tunes are in there, that will be a headache.

I am afraid how much she will be able to do with my instructions over the phone. I'm surprised how the phone carrier in there aren't aware about this kinds of issues either.

She told me she have been asked to bring a flash drive with her.

I will see what she finds out before we do something, thank you again for your help and support, We really appreciate it!

9. Lancetper

Lancetper New Member

I don't agree with reset the phone,some or all of saved phone data will can get missing after reset , but you can sync files to iPhone or computer before you resetting

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This thread is really old and I'm not sure why you bumped it, but he specifically asked about using the Move to iOS app. I told him if he wanted to help her use that app, it would require a reset.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2015/09/23/apples-move-to-ios-android-app-only-works-with-new-or-reset-ios-devices/amp/