Moved over to the dark side

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ltzguy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Well I'm sorry but I've decided to move on. I was bored with Apple and wanted to try something new. I ended up getting the galaxy s4 Active. It's waterproof and shockproof. Its actually a nice phone. I'm still figuring things out tho.

2. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Welcome to the underground EIC Android club. Shhh :p

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm still wavering on my "switch." Too much tinkering and app downloading to make my HTC One work the way I want it. Plus, my iOS apps are so much more fully-featured than the equivalent Android versions. The larger screen is nice, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough to keep me using the One.

And the blatant misinformation on Android forums concerning the iPhone is laughable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The screen size of the Galaxy S4 is really appealing to me, I hope Apple offer a variant of that size for their next phone?

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Do you still have your iPhone? How's the return window on the Galaxy S4?

6. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

I am the opposite at least right now. My s4 and Htc One are on the shelf and picked up ip5. Really liking it and apps really are better. But I truly truly miss the bigger screen. I hope they go up to at least 4.5 as an option.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Will someone please explain the big mobile phone screen attraction to me? I don't understand why so many people drool over them and rate that as priority #1. Is it for videos or is it poor vision? Do you not have iPads for movies? You give up so much to have a huge screen on a mobile: it becomes heavier, it's not as portable (doesn't fit in a small/tight pocket as nicely), it's not as easy to thumb type on, you can't use it single-handedly and the battery drains faster.

I compared an HTC One to an iPhone 5 using the full site from a popular website and I could actually see the text on the iPhone 5 better. This was in portrait mode, which is what I always use. I had to zoom to comfortably read the text on the HTC since it was showing way too much content and it shrunk down the text size too much. And forget fast thumb-typing on the HTC with the stock keyboard. The huge popup letters/flashing lights and underlined text popups were near seizure-inducing and distracting. It's very subtle on the iPhone. Testing Androids always make me appreciate the little things like that that I take for granted on iOS.

I also don't understand the getting bored part. Do you theme a lot and did you lose your jailbreak? I like to use my phone for the apps, browsing, etc. I wouldn't say I'm bored just because I don't spend all day fiddling with the device. It's set up just how I like without excessive fiddling and I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but then again I don't like huge screens on phones. I used to theme a lot, but I lost interest in that after a couple years.

8. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

HTC One has good speakers and is the first hardware I like. I am not a fan of the big screen.

9. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

I tried the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for a while and the thing that made me laugh was that for all the extra screen size it still had a 4 x 4 icon grid. My wife said it looked like it had been designed to be used with your feet!

10. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

For me it's for reading. Videos also. Browser with word wrap on a 4.5 or bigger screen negates the need for a tablet. Only have to carry one device. I like gaming also. Bigger screen is easier for me. My gs4 is lighter in weight than the iPhone so not always an increase in weight. I do like the size phone use wise of the ip5. My wish would be to slightly make it wider decrease all bezel and could get almost 5 in and barely increase the size. Like Samsung did with the s3 to s4. After use I get used to any size phone but was just wishing. If safari word wrapped text it would help a bunch for me at least

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had discounted this as marketing hype until I used the One. BoomSound is the real deal. Best sound I've heard coming from a phone, by far.

12. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

A lot of people say speakers on a phone are a waste but I use them all the time.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, but I can read the text better on the iPhone 5 than the HTC One because while the One shows more content, it's not as readable since it shrinks it down smaller than the iPhone 5. Also, the lack of word wrap used to be a big thing for me, but the iPhone 5 on 6.x seems to be doing a similar think and formatting text, at least on most websites. I tried I find one that wouldn't for an example last month and I couldn't. So I rarely have to scroll horizontally anymore...even on full websites. I think the iPhone 5's 16x9 screen is great for videos. It's the best of both worlds. I don't have to deal with all the drawbacks I listed. I don't carry an iPad with me. I only bring it when I'm flying. It better than a big Android phone for watching movies.

14. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

Do you change settings ? I have been. Using Mercury Browser that allows me to increase font size. Sites like xda-developers and any most forums the text is so small I can't read unless in landscape. My eyes are aging also though LOL

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use mobile Safari. The need for horizontal scrolling on the few sites that would require it can be eliminated by using the mobile versions. I think a lot of it is stubbornness and refusal to use mobile sites.

16. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

Oh okay, oh yes I agree always go to the full site. Maybe that's why. Will start trying more mobile sites

17. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I do not really consider screen size while buying devices, otherwise I would have been drawn to the S4 rather than the HTC One. I look for build quality, OS (in my case Sense 5 which is great), company reputation, reviews, screen resolution, customizability and last but not least comfort in holding and using. I must say the HTC One fit every criteria I had after spending over five days of research and comparisons between it and the S4. The iPhone 5 is a great device, no doubt about it, and I wouldn't mind buying the 5S when it comes out if given the opportunity and money, but as I always say, the iPad really fills every need for iOS that I have and to be honest I am not really comfortable with iOS as a daily driver but rather every now and then on a tablet, but then again that's just my preference.

I did not believe the hype either but boy was I wrong; the speakers are absolutely beautiful and the sound quality and volume are unreal. I used a leaked 4.2.2 for a while but it didn't have Boom Sound features and thereforee I went back to 4.1.2 and am waiting for the official update. Boom Sound is not a feature to miss out on!

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

TarekElsakka What is it that makes iOS not suitable as your daily driver OS?

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I prefer full sites over mobile sites as well, and like you, my eyes are aging! :D

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But when the full sites cause frustration and force horizontal scrolling while the mobile ones don't and have the same features you use on a daily basis, I call it stubbornness. It's few sites in my experience too.