Movie download times changing constantly in iTunes

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by DW529, Dec 29, 2013.

1. DW529

DW529 New Member

Hello All, I joined this forum awhile back and always come here for troubleshooting and new information however have yet to post a message. I could not find anything on this issue in the forums and I am not sure what I can do to fix this. Today I went to download a digital copy movie from iTunes for a movie I received for Christmas. I was able to enter the code into iTunes and the movie began to download. However the download was moving really slow and the time estimated was quickly moving up to 5-8 hours. I paused the download and restarted the computer. When I started the download again, the same thing happened and the time shot up again. I paused the download to maybe wait until a later time and started downloading again about 30 minutes ago. The time shot up from 3 minutes to 24 hours within the minute. Then it would go back to 30 minutes and jump to 3-5 hours and back down and back up. A little info on my system - I am using a late 2009 Macbook Pro running Mavericks (osx 10.9). I have been able to pull up web pages and use other programs on the computer with no real difference. I ran a speed test and was showing 24 mbps download speed. At this point I am not really sure what else to do? or if this an issue with Apple's servers? I appreciate any help you can provide! Thank you!

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. We are all glad you have posted this question and hope that you continue to be here with the community.

I know that I am not the right person to answer this question, but I would like to ask one thing that may help others. Are you on the latest iTunes version? This can sometimes cause issues if it is not the latest version.

Also, does it happen with many downloads of movies, or just this one in particular?

3. DW529

DW529 New Member

Thank you for the response. I hadn't actually checked if I was running the latest iTunes but I checked and I am. I do have a OS update to complete so I will have to do that and see if it helps. I have never had this issue before so right now it has only been this movie. I have another movie to get the digital copy from so I may run that one after the update.

Sent using iCafe app

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Not a problem. OS update for your computer? That may be good to get. Please do let us know. I'm sure someone will come to provide some answers. Also, an older computer as yours is could also be the problem. I, myself, do not believe iTunes is the issue. Have you tried downloading the movie on another computer?

5. DW529

DW529 New Member

Yeah, an update to the computer itself. I have not tried another computer as all my iTunes stuff is on this machine. I will try and update and see if that helps and report back. It could also be the computer as you said. It hasn't been as fast with the last few updates (mountain lion/mavericks).

Sent using iCafe app

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. I read your original post wrong. I have a MacBook Pro as well running Mavericks, however it's 2011. I do not have any issues at all as far as slowness or anything else. It runs very smoothly, so it may possibly be that your computer is running on its last leg, at least for iTunes. However, it could be the updates that caused it. What was iTunes like before installing and downloading Mavericks and even before Lion?

7. DW529

DW529 New Member

iTunes wasn't running bad at all until today but I think the problem may have worked itself out. I had the extras/special features from a movie I downloaded awhile back trying to download still but I kept pausing it as it was saying it would take hours to finish. After the update though I was able to finish the download of the extras and the movie and now everything seems to be moving along fine. I am thinking the update and clearing out that extras download may have been what was holding it up. Thank you again for the help!

Sent using iCafe app

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of some help and that you got the problem fixed.