movie phone for iPhone

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
Man, you guys are killing me. I cant wait to receive my iPhone next week. The sad part is that I am in Japan for another 25 days so I have to wait another 2 weeks before activating it. I read on the Apple site that if you don't activate the phone, you can do anything such as download, music, nothing. All these features are making my mouth water. Thanks Tony.

hpuk

Bronze
Jan 2, 2008
London
Man, you guys are killing me. I cant wait to receive my iPhone next week. The sad part is that I am in Japan for another 25 days so I have to wait another 2 weeks before activating it. I read on the Apple site that if you don't activate the phone, you can do anything such as download, music, nothing. All these features are making my mouth water. Thanks Tony.
can you activate before you go? or just jailbrake it? so at least you can play with it while your away

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
can you activate before you go? or just jailbrake it? so at least you can play with it while your away
yes, I can activate it before I go because my wife went to AT&T and opened an account for me. They gave her some special code that I have to enter into iTunes once I activate it. But if I activate it and try to use it here, I will pay some crazy prices for roaming, so thats why I will just activate it before I leave so I wont be tempted.

I have seen the term jailbreak a lot just one day browsing the site, I figured out that jailbreak basically means modifying the phone right?

What advantages and disadvantages does it have and how do I do it?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey

Hey your avatar is awesome

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I have your solution SAINT

This site has everything you need to solve your problem. HEre is what you need to do..

1. Activate an iPhone before you go to Japan.
2. Jailbreak and Unlock it.
3. Now you can buy a prepaid sim, although I think GSM networks are hard to come by in Japan. But at least you have the option to turn off data roaming while you are abroad.

If you find a GSM carrier in Japan that has prepaid sims, try i.talkster.com. That site will give you a local # wherever you are at and will then connect you and up to 5 friends on 5 different continents so you can talk for free, or at least the cost of just a local call.

Bottom line is that you can jailbreak the iPhone and use the wifi at the very least. That includes downloading music and stuff. Have fun in Japan. I spent a year there (1996) in a town called Iwakuni. That's about 45 miles south of Hiroshima. The most beautiful place I have ever traveled.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hey Sopranos guy,

I ignored this post before because I have never heard of movie phone and I thought it was going to be like the deep "movie guy" voice or something.

But this is very awesome. Thank you.