Movie Rentals-- duplicate file

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
ok here is my experiment. i rented a movie and before ever playing it I went to the movies folder and duplicated it into a folder on the desktop. - so that duplicate has not played yet . I played the original . and my 24 hour period will be up tonight . what im going to see is .. when my rental expired . could i bring the duplicated one over and will it activate and start watching it again. if so this could be a workaround . .. it makes sense bc i have not played the the duplicate one . so I will see if it works . ill report back .
anyone else do this let me know .

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Stevo is going to be watching this thread.

Anyhoo....lets see....I predict it won't work.:sick:

So let me know if I am wrong:(

ok here is my experiment. i rented a movie and before ever playing it I went to the movies folder and duplicated it into a folder on the desktop. - so that duplicate has not played yet . I played the original . and my 24 hour period will be up tonight . what im going to see is .. when my rental expired . could i bring the duplicated one over and will it activate and start watching it again. if so this could be a workaround . .. it makes sense bc i have not played the the duplicate one . so I will see if it works . ill report back .
anyone else do this let me know .

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hmm, I have a very distinct feeling that this isn't going to work, but good luck either way. It would be a nice find if it ends up working.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It definitely won't work.

What apparently does work, at least for the 30 day period you have to watch the video, is setting the clock back on your PC. Keep in mind the reverse works too: so if you changed your clock to more than 30 days in the future you'd lock yourself out of the movie. I would assume this has to get fixed right away.

Not sure if it works for the 24 hour viewing window.

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It definitely won't work.

What apparently does work, at least for the 30 day period you have to watch the video, is setting the clock back on your PC. Keep in mind the reverse works too: so if you changed your clock to more than 30 days in the future you'd lock yourself out of the movie. I would assume this has to get fixed right away.

Not sure if it works for the 24 hour viewing window.

--
Mike

What would happen if you transfered to another machine before before activating the time bomb.

Also what happens after the 24 hours, does it self-destruct or do you physically have to delete it off?

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
what happens if I were to put it on my iPhone after watching it on my Apple tv. Will it not work on my iPhone anymore?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
what happens if I were to put it on my iPhone after watching it on my Apple tv. Will it not work on my iPhone anymore?
They say you can play it on any machine or iPhone or pod as many times as you want within the 24 hour period.

Stevo even said that if you were watching it on your computer midway and stop, then transfer to your iPhone it will begin playing where you left off, and visa versa.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
They say you can play it on any machine or iPhone or pod as many times as you want within the 24 hour period.

Stevo even said that if you were watching it on your computer midway and stop, then transfer to your iPhone it will begin playing where you left off, and visa versa.
But what if it were still on your iPhone after the 24 hour period?

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Can you watch it more than once within the 24 hour period?

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
there obviously is a to record it in a different format on you computer and copy it ..iso

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I doubt it will work.

However, I'd like to point out a little exploit I found over at TUAW. If you set your computers time and/or date back, your movie time will be extended. For instance, say I rent a movie on 1/18/08. I have 30 days. I set my date to 1/18/07. I know have an extra year on the movie rental time.

- John